V-6 Late Models

txtom

On another thread, V-6 cars were mentioned.

Neil Upchurch was kind enough to research his archives, and this is a list of the V-6 powered late models that have run over the years, mainly in TIDA.

# 12 - Bobby Allison, Buick Regal

# 13 - T. Wade Welch, Chevrolet Lumina

# 20 - Jeremy Stafford, Ford T-Bird

# 24 - Slick Yoemans, Ford T-Bird

# 44 - Terry Labonte, Olds Calais

# 49 - Keith Riethmeyer, Chevrolet Camaro

# 70 - Sam Range, Buick Regal

# 71 - Tommy Grothues, Chevrolet Camaro

n/a - Tommy Riggins, Buick Regal(won 1988 TROC)

Also, at least two of the All-Pro races run in the 80's at SAS were won by V-6's, Donnie Allison in 1984, and Joe Nemechek in 1989. The other 1989 race, won by Bobby Dotter, may have also been a V-6, just can't remember.

Wow, I had no idea so many diffrent drivers had run V-6 cars in the past. If i remember correctly Busch had some V-6 buicks in the early ninties, i guess that would explain the Regals, but what where the other cars running? Very interesting information, Thanks Mr. Upchurch and txtom. I guess i missed the era where all the cars had their own very distinct looks and power plants, everything seems to have a template now, and its intersting to see so many cars ran out of the norm engines. Also, seeing as how the car i remeber wasnt Davidson, does anyone know who it was? The car, to my memory, was slightly dark blue car with yellow numbering and a slant nose that looked alot like modern dirt latemodels? Thanks again, interesting to see all the names i recognize.

James Higdon

Turbo-

The Gill win you are thinking of was in 1988; Gill won all three races in Texas that year, with Ridley second in all three. If Gill ran here in 1989, he did not make top 5.

I know that Slick was getting V-6's from Roush; one of his former crew members has worked for Roush for years. (Steve Lloyd, some may know him as "Animal")

I think if I remember right, there was a #40 blue car with yellow numbers, I think his name was Charlie Coen or something like that, not sure if this was him. I remember that car and another wrecked going into turn one, both went up in the air, I think one even spun in the air, but stayed on the track.

Maybe they should make a wall of fame of the short track racers that have raced here before and place it in a nice location for people to view there at the track, San Antonio has alot of history, maybe txtom can start the list.

Maybe they should make a wall of fame of the short track racers that have raced here before and place it in a nice location for people to view there at the track, San Antonio has alot of history,

Stay tuned, HP; I think exactly what you mentioned is in the works.........not by me, but I contributed a couple names.

Tom

As a race fan, the problem I have with V-6's, when there's a bunch of them running is having to sit an listen to them all evening long. After a while it just gets down right irritating. Kinda like listening to someone sing the national anthiem off-key. Makes you want to "cringe" after a while.

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Don't think we'll see them soon again, Budman.

One of the best things I ever heard about the V-6 racing engine was a quote from the late, great Neil Bonnett:

"The V-6 racing engine was invented by the same guy who invented the engine hoist"

Bad thing about V-6 was the durability. Didn't matter who built it, about 2000 laps on anything that moved, especially the crankshaft, was the maximun life. Crank was junk, but makes a good door-stop or trot-line weight.

I remember Yoemans getting engines from Roush; they were unused busch engines. If I remember correctly, about $4000-$4500 for a short block. The machine work alone was worth that. Heads were about another $3000 or so, assembled.

That is completely true. They tried 60 degree and 90 degree blocks, they changed the firing orders, etc...but in the end they just didn't last. The "second coming" of cheap v6's was when ASA went to the crate engine. You could buy them by the pallet for 25 cents on the dollar.

Jay

Archived