THE WEST TEXAS STRANGER

Budman

Take a close look at that car. Its a dirt car. That's what was so cool about those guys. They might race the car on pavement on Thursday or Friday night and run dirt on Saturday night. It didn't matter to them, they were just as at home on one surface as the other, and be just as competitive on either one. That's what made them such great drivers!

Take a close look at that car. Its a dirt car. That's what was so cool about those guys. They might race the car on pavement on Thursday or Friday night and run dirt on Saturday night. It didn't matter to them, they were just as at home on one surface as the other, and be just as competitive on either one. That's what made them such great drivers!

And if they could afford it, they would have two kinds of tires, or just run what you had.................

It was more like a hole cut in the ground

Is that Mr. White in the 3 car?

If I remember right, that is that good ole Okie allot of people have forgotten about. Mike Mosely. Tragically killed in an off-road ride out West if I remember correctly. I think it was at Riverside in early '84. Mike was a hell of a nice guy and a driver to be dealt with. He did big thing with inferior equipment for many years.

"CLAY HILLS" would be a great name for that dirt track up near Dialville, in East Texas.

The track in Rusk is definitely 'Clay Hills, it's basically stretched between two of them, it's like a roller coaster, is the only way to describe it. Great racing there though. I think the track fell on tough times and may have closed, hopefully not.

"CLAY HILLS" would be a great name for that dirt track up near Dialville, in East Texas.

The track in Rusk is definitely 'Clay Hills, it's basically stretched between two of them, it's like a roller coaster, is the only way to describe it. Great racing there though. I think the track fell on tough times and may have closed, hopefully not.

It could'nt be in a better location, between a mental hospital and an airport.

• 3 weeks later...

COOL! :)

Thanks Jakdad and the Niedeckens.

You know, there are a few more I remember that ran out of Abilene back in that day. Clyde (Papa) Johnson in his #4 yellow coupe I've seen pictured in or linked to in this section. Two that I haven't seen are Clyde's son, Charles in a little black and white #11, and Robert Polk in a blue #18 sedan super. Robert once held the track record at Austin Speed-o-rama. I sure wish we could come up with some pics of those guys.

Mark,

To the southeast on Hwy 110, just north of US 84, is a mountain. Another mountain is west of the track, a little past Dialville, just a little north of Maydelle.

Here are some more pics of Wayne, courtesy his family.

http://www.genetapiaracing.com/wayne_niedecken_sr.htm

I believe it was '67, while working as an Automotive Fuel and Lubrication Installation Technician, after the Liberty Bell 300 at Meyer Spdwy/Houston, I had the good fortune to install some fuel in the #99 Super Modified Tow Vehicle as Wayne Niedecken and Crew were heading back to Pensacola. The truck needed fuel, as did the crew, and they seemed tired with a long way to go, but more than likely they made a rest stop down the road. For that reason, I may have asked how they finished, but didn't attempt conversation beyond that. The facility was located on US 90A, aka O S T, at Fannin, and I had to work that night because I had attended the 200 Lap Super! Stock? Race at Pan American Spdwy/San Antonio the previous night.

Archived