Saturday Practice @THR

marvinmcgee

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to see good car count for being early in season AND for just for practice. Sorry to hear bout motor Mickey, didn't get a chance to chat with ya but car "looked" good on track and hope you can find some parts to put her back together.

H.E. - I was going into turn 3 and I heard (and felt) you hit the wall going into turn 1. Man it looked bad, but so glad to hear you are ok. Probably a little sore today I'm sure. Everything went well for us - just had an oiling issue. Rocker arm wasn't getting oil on exhaust side of #1 cylinder. Hopin just a lifter issue. We'll see. Thanks for all the help everyone gave me @ the track. Muchly appreciated - Terry, Ray, Ron, Dale & Todd, Shaun - you guys were great. Thanks again, Duane

good lord! that thing is junk.glad the driver is okay.cage did what it is designed to do.i hope his ol' lady was'nt watchin' cause if she was there is probably a lonnng drawn out one sided discussion happenin' today. hope you get to feelin' better. what happened,stuck throttle?

From what I understand, maybe Mary Ann or Mr. Naumann will help out, his throttle became stuck off turn 4. He was breaking and trying to reach for the kill switch, but he couldn't get to it in time. He hit the wall with such force it took his helmet off his head. He hit turn one just before the turn 1 pit stands and his car/parts slid along the turn one wall almost taking abrungot out with it (good eyes Aaron). It finally came to rest in the grassy embankment between turns 1 & 2 in front of the pits grand stand. Being that he was on the front stretch, pure guessing, he hit the wall full force at about 95 - 105. Approx. 2 - 3 minutes after the impact, he waved his hand from the roof of the car to let us know he was alive. A few minutes after that, he got out of his car and promptly sat down. He was taken to an area hospital for further evaluation. Upon leaving, I was told he suffered a sprained ankle. God was definitely looking down upon THR yesterday. We are all very thankfull Mr. Naumann is doing well and hope he will get some rest and be back soon (not too soon though).

Also, sorry for not getting a name, but I hope the driver of the number 23 gets some rest and is back soon as well. As you can see in the picture below, his transmission literraly blew up on him and parts of it actually came up through the floor board hitting the back of the driver's seat. He was able to walk away from the accident, but I'm sure, as Mr. Naumann, he's sore today.

http://www.pbase.com/ter0/image/40982540

Best wishes go out to both drivers.

P.S. if anyone can help with #23's name or facts, please feel free.

not to change the matter subject-by the way glad you're not hurt any worse.....but what kahnefan said is a very valid note.

after the camera man got hammered 2 yrs. ago people kept their distance(for awhile)....last year i noticed towards the end of the season officials standing three foot in the track(back straight)as we were accelerating to green in turn three...that's not wise.there needs to be a 20' grass rule on the officials,one lap before green..i really don't tink you guys understand the severity of the situation you are putting youselves into....

-again glad you alright H.

The #23 is driven by Ugo Bevione. He was fine, I talked with him about 30 minutes after the transmission let go. He said he hoped to have the car back at the track soon.

And yes, it was a stuck throttle on H's car. Where he hit the wall it moved back about 2 inches at the base. That should tell you how hard it was. Thank the Lord everyone is ok.

Bill "Sarge" Masom

HE ended up with a broke leg. The car is pretty well history looks like it killed everything including the engine. Sometime this week we will get a better look at it when we can get it in the shop. Yes the throttle hung wide open we think we know what happened but until we can analyze it and say for sure it would be speculation. I would also like to say that I will always put a foot strap on the throttle pedal from here on. I think that it would not have prevented H from hitting the wall but it might have helped some. Thanks to everyone after the wreck for all the HELP

Mary ann said he also has some bruises and his ears are really sore from where the helmet came off, and she thanks everybody for their thoughts and wishes.

Ya and being a typical racer H said he was ok enough to go to houston even though we only made it half way there before they called the race... he still had a good time on the trip to just eat dinner lol. He went to the hospital Sunday morning thats when Mary Ann called me but he has his pain killers so he will sleep it all off lol. Get better H see ya at the shop!

CrazyH...

I as well as serveral others were in the debree field as we were behind the turn one pit wall (Normal location of Jack S.) ... We are well aware of saftey at the track.. and have talked about it over the weekend... anytime you step thru the gates you have to be on your toes and realize your at risk...

Glad to hear that Mr. Nauman is doing ok.

The headrest on the seat looks ok. Does anyone know if he had any sort on head/neck device on? My thought is probably not if the helmet came off. What kind of helmet was he using? It looks like he hit a ton but the hat coming off is very concerning. Wasn't there an incident last season in SA where a helmet failed (strap?).

Thanks

Jay

The headrest was ok the only thing I saw in the seat that was turned was the rest along side his ribcage it was pointed outward. the helmet all I know is they are thinking of sending it off to Simpson to get it checked out!? I am not sure if he had anything around his neck though....

Got a quick question from the pictures it looked like H wasnt wearing gloves. If he wasnt were his hands ok?

If he wasnt wearing them why was he allowed to go out on the track with out all the correct safety equipment?

not to change the matter subject-by the way glad you're not hurt any worse.....but what kahnefan said is a very valid note.

after the camera man got hammered 2 yrs. ago people kept their distance(for awhile)....last year i noticed towards the end of the season officials standing three foot in the track(back straight)as we were accelerating to green in turn three...that's not wise.there needs to be a 20' grass rule on the officials,one lap before green..i really don't tink you guys understand the severity of the situation you are putting youselves into....

-again glad you alright H.

Aaron was standing well behind the turn 1 debris wall, but when a car impacts the wall with such force, debris goes in places you don't expect.

However, I also agree, towards the end of the season, people (usually not officials, but 'infield visitors') would get quiet close to the track during an event.

Archived