I.M.C.A. point system

Maybe someone can explain the I.M.C.A. point system to me! As I understand it, they're no points award for running heat races, and the starting position for the main is by points. So i guess one question is why do you run the heat race, and is the starting position for that race based points as well? If you can't improve on your points position by running a heat race, what is the point? Don't get me wrong, I have no problem running a heat race, to determine where you start a feature. I am just trying to figure out how it all works?

Well from what I understand the only thing going IMCA is Sportsmods and Modifieds at SOS.So maybe the rest of the classes may be different.As for the points first night is done by a draw.Second night on is average points which are earned in the A-Mains.Average points are points divided by number of races run at SOS. So those who raced the first night will have the advantage.

Line up by points average for the heats. Then for the feature depending on how many cars are there they invert up to 12th place based on your points. Basically if I read it correct you run your heat to run towards the front of the field

Line up by points average for the heats. Then for the feature depending on how many cars are there they invert up to 12th place based on your points. Basically if I read it correct you run your heat to run towards the front of the field

I read it as starting the heat inverted as well, I think that what's confusing me, and depending on how many heats are run, is how many get inverted in feature.

Go to IMCA.com and read rules about line up procedures.

Basically if you have a full field of cars(20 plus), you have to run top 4 in your heat to earn starting spot based on point average for the main.. 5th on back in heat will start behind the top 12 qualified cars for the main. The top 12 are inverted by point average, so highest point average car that qualifies through heat will start 12th at best, lowest will start on pole. This is a very fair system that produces quality racing throughout the field. Hope that helped and I didn't confuse it more.

A visiting car without point average can also qualify through heat if runs top 4. Will start behind cars with averages that also transferred from heats, so 6th row if full field.

Also, there is no advantage to winning heat vs. 4th except for bragging rights.

Thank you to everyone who helped to explain this points system. IMCA General rules has the points explanation if you want to read them. The heats are important and should you not be able to start the feature then you get 11 points for having raced the heat. Other things that will determine the points are races missed and car count.

A visiting car without point average can also qualify through heat if runs top 4. Will start behind cars with averages that also transferred from heats, so 6th row if full field.

So you are saying that if you have not ran at sos this year and have no points the best starting position for feature is 12th in back?

So you are saying that if you have not ran at sos this year and have no points the best starting position for feature is 12th in back?

I believe you are correct, gotta bank up some points, but not to many or you'll always be starting mid-field. Luck of the draw is gone

Missing a week doesn't hurt you because it is based on point averages. If you were not there, that is not included in the average. There is a situation where if you miss multiple consecutive nights then you lose your average and start over. I don't remember how many nights, been a while since I was an IMCA racer.

The only issue I had with this system was guys would purposely fall out of features to kill their average early in the year and they would stay near the front of feature line up all year. That may have been addressed by now but it was a real issue for a long time.

It's a decent weekly system that produces good competition and better show for fans in my opinion. The IMCA big show qualifying procedure SUX BAD. Short heat races with to many cars and only the winner transfers out of heat race. Lots of torn up cars as a result.

Should be fun. If you're a fast car with high point average, you get to practice your skills with passing cars. Patience with passing makes for increased driving skills and makes a good show for the fans. I see what Mike is saying though for a big show making for torn up cars, but for the weekly show where you know the other drivers, how their car handles and their ability, it will make for a good weekly show for fans.

looking forward to some good racing, and improving on my skill's LOL. Seriously I don't care how they score us, as long as we're racing its goooooood.

The magic number is not always 12. It depends on the number of heat races and that depends on the number of cars. Someone that qualifies but has no point average could start anywhere from 8th to 12th. It's better than starting in the back.

Understand so what's the purpose of heat races for cars that can't make it on a regular night...well I guess this is a way to get cars to show upn or not show up at all...sounds like a not so good plan especially if you are only being represented locally.

The heat races set the starting line ups for the features. It's thatsimple. If you finish in a qualifying spot, you start in the front half of the field. If you don't qual in the heat, you line up by finishing order from the heats behind the qualified cars. It's act the fairest system I have ever been around.

Archived