Another nail in the Cup coffin? A new era in NA$CAR-land coming

NickHolt

Don't like NASCAR? Don't watch.

Sorry GB, that shhhhhhtuff don't fly with me.....I've watched since I was a teenager....and what I'm watching now is not real racing and it's insulting to real fans....

Let's bounce this a step further....What if local tracks starting implementing inane rules, qualifying procedures and points systems for Mini Stocks......You'd pitch a fit.....Oh, wait that already happened to a degree and no one I saw ever said to you/them, "if you don't like it, quit racing".....

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I'm from the younger generation, even though I was raised at a dirt track on Saturday nights (which is now closed). The sport has evolved. Country music isn't the same either as it was 20 years ago either. Teams can't keep up, just like "teams" can't keep up on the local level. Money is driving the sport on a global and local level. Why do we see debates over rules, claims, purses, etc.. It's all the same the higher level too. It is just the world we live in now. Sad, but true.

One thing I don't like is when the same people claim they aren't watching another race, but are the first to post about how "messed up the sport is". I don't like Dancing With the Stars, so I change the channel. Simple concept. Don't like=Don't watch. They will straighten it out when the viewer turns the channel. They don't have an 8 billion dollar TV deal because no one watches.

I agree with rebs last post and post 26 10000 percent ..butts in the seats have been a problem with local racing for years and I bet a lot of it was don't like it don't watch . we don't want to hear your complaint .well that is a sure way to kill a track or as in nascar as well .maybe just maybe us old time fans grew up when nascar racing was bout the best team with the best crew and innovative car builders understood you had to work hard to beat the others .....maybe its out of passion for the sport for our displeasure ......

One thing I don't like is when the same people claim they aren't watching another race, but are the first to post about how "messed up the sport is". I don't like Dancing With the Stars, so I change the channel. Simple concept. Don't like=Don't watch. They will straighten it out when the viewer turns the channel. They don't have an 8 billion dollar TV deal because no one watches.

Again with the don't like, don't watch......How many TV programs has that killed......Plenty....Guess that's what some people want.....No more TV coverage due to low ratings.......BRILLIANT!!!!

I think he has a point here. If you disagree with, or hate, NASCAR so much, why don't you just give up on it? It seems to me that it causes you more heartburn than is worth it. I hear ARCA has a better race and bigger live following now at most races than the Cup series.

I remember when you could only see NASCAR races on TV when Wide World of Sports on ABC aired a race. They would break away and cover Ice Skating or some other sport and come back to the race later.

It would really make you mad.

But the thing was most of the time, the leader was a lap or two ahead of the rest of the field and they were spread out. all around the track. Once in a while two cars would be racing for the win but back when Richard Petty and Cale were racing one car usually dominated the race.

Now every race is on TV. They have come a long way.

Jamie, David, GB, etc.....NA$CAR TV ratings continue to plummet....8 million dollar deal or not at some point it will be gone altogether or strictly pay-per-view....Think back, perhaps before some of y'all time, excluding GB, NA$CAR rating rose because the product was good and people wanted to watch it every chance they could.....Now it's become a freaking three ring circus and rating/attendance are falling....It doesn't take a math or marketing major to understand the reason(s)why, the new, improved(lmfao) product is no longer viable...

Like every other form of racing "big money" is killing the sport.....Y'all can spout off on how it's a business all you want.....Businesses fail, just look at the green energy industry for the best example....At some point throwing money at something becomes futile....Look at how many short track classes have fallen by the wayside because of money, if you don't see it, you aren't looking.....I've seen it for over 40 years now....

Old saying.....No matter how much lipstick you put on a pig, it's still just a pig, with lipstick!!!!

I remember when you could only see NASCAR races on TV when Wide World of Sports on ABC aired a race. They would break away and cover Ice Skating or some other sport and come back to the race later.

It would really make you mad.

But the thing was most of the time, the leader was a lap or two ahead of the rest of the field and they were spread out. all around the track. Once in a while two cars would be racing for the win but back when Richard Petty and Cale were racing one car usually dominated the race.

Now every race is on TV. They have come a long way.

I remember those days as well. It was also a time when going to a Cup race didn't feel like a money grab, like Disneyland.

I complain a lot about it, but I admit I still watch it OCCASIONALLY. My viewing habits have changed significantly, I do make a point of seeing the Daytona 500, but most everything else isn't a must see.

I had season tickets for Bristol for about 10 years after being on a waiting list for 3. I last attended in 2005. Two years ago I attended my first Cup race in about 9 years in Kansas. I had a really good time and enjoyed the race. I went because it was a new track for me, and took the approach that I am going to watch a race and nothing else. I bought my tickets and a program, and it felt good.

This year, I am taking my 7-year old to Fontana in March. Why? Besides the fact that he likes race cars, I get to see it from his eyes, by someone who has no comprehension of "how it used to be". Maybe that will be a little refreshing because if it was just me and my wife, we wouldn't go. The tickets were still too expensive, but to get decent seats so he's not baking in the sun all afternoon I put up the money for a one-time deal. It will be interesting to see what the crowd is like after last year's "sellout" that came after they removed about 20,000 seats. There are still A LOT of seats available with the race barely a month away.

That said, I really believe most of the frustration comes from the current regime in charge. I will have attended two races in 10 years, where I used to attend 2-3 per year. I used to watch or record all 30+ races, where now I watch the Daytona 500 and fast forward through the race if I even REMEMBER to record it. I used to buy the products. I would go to the track and spend some more.

NASCAR alienated the fans that watched Wide World of Sports for 20 minutes of coverage over the course of a 90 minute show for PSL's and ticket packages. They destroyed time-honored traditions (Southern 500). I really don't care who wins the championship anymore because it's a fabrication for show. But, at the core of it, I am still a racing fan so I have an interest in what happens on the track even if there are only a few guys I "like". I still love the sport enough to voice my opinion when I don't like something. But I also have higher priorities for my time and money.

And I haven't even touched on the overhyping, overselling and idiocy that goes in in the tv booth these days. There was always a touch of show with racing, but now there's a touch of racing with the show.

I'm not disagreeing with you about the product not being as good as it once was. What I am saying is I'll watch selectively in order to get my fix of racing, I don't particularly car for Indy/open wheel racing, and go about my business or try to find the good in an event. Whereas in the short time I have known you, I don't think I have seen one positive thing said about NASCAR come from you. That's OK, it just confuses me why you even entertain it.

You have a lot of agreeable comments, it just falls on deaf ears.

This should get your blood boiling, Reb!

Retooled Green-White-Checkered Finishes

OK, before you reply, if you do, I do realize that this is a blatant back tracking of the original intent of the GWC finish. I would also like to note that I do agree with most of your complaints. LOL

It's like the NFL making the rules so complicated, they can't figure out what a catch is.

"In our view, when the yellow flag was displayed after the restart, the leader was unable to complete the process of the restart, thereby negating the green flag condition. As such, the restart never happened, regardless of the fact the leader had 4 tires on the racing surface and performed a racing move prior to the yellow."

The "overtime line" LOL ...that's almost like the NFL's "you tackled him too hard" penalty.

As the popularity and viewership declines..so do the sponsors who are not willing to spend millions...when the sponsor money is hard to find, the number of teams that are able to race a full season decline..when the number of full time teams decline....NASCAR lowers the number of cars for a full field.

Eddie Gossage hit it square on the head, NASCAR has really turned into the asphalt circus and he is going to promote the hell out of it at TMS.

Can you imagine if everyone who disliked what nascar has become today stopped watching tomorrow. NASCAR has become a huge corporate machine that is fueled by corporate dollars. I think because they have become that machine, they are forced to bend for the corporate sponsors in order to keep the money flowing.

Am I going to watch certain NASCAR races..you bet. Am I going to critique NASCAR..you bet.

Someone mentioned ARCA racing. I think some of the best all around racing happens during a NASCAR truck race and ARCA race.

DIRECT FLOW . the only thing bill sr did not teach his son was have a set of blanks to stand up to corp sponsors and say my product is the best and you can join in with your sponsorship as it was when sr was running it ..now brian is a yes sr what ever you want boy ..bill did not build nascar by being a weakling ....as for mwr. you don't field a racing team anymore you should not have a charter

France says how disappointed he is that the Wood Bros didnt get a charter while 2 were given to MWR and sold to larger teams. Then the next day former MWR co-owner Kauffman says it was NASCAR's call.

Now a field is 36 cars, not 40 and "open teams" receive less money than the chartered teams while France has the audacity to say it will attract teams to the sport.

As more details come out, the more shady it all sounds.

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2016/02/13/nascar-discontinues-providing-race-winnings-in-box-scores/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Dewar provided some details about how the system would work for the four slots available to teams without charters:

Open teams also will receive a guaranteed amount (referred to as a fixed purse) as the charter teams do, but it will be much smaller. Dewar said it was roughly 30 percent of the guarantee for a chartered team.

If fewer than four open teams compete in a race (meaning a field of fewer than 40 cars), the leftover money will be placed in a year-end pool that will be distributed among the top three open teams based on performance. Wood Brothers Racing, which plans to field Ryan Blaney full time in the No. 21 Ford, is the only open team that has announced intentions to run the full season.

A field for us is 36 (cars), not 40, Dewar said. So if we get 38 cars at California and Phoenix, were not disappointed.

We anticipate the logistics model for some of the smaller teams doesnt make sense to go to all the races, based on the distance and purse.

Dewar said NASCAR isnt expecting many open teams to employ a start and park strategy (which usually was dependent on the higher purses available to teams that would have been considered open under the previous system). Chartered teams are disincentivized from the controversial practice, risking the loss of a charter if they dont meet performance standards that havent been made public.

Dewar said the Daytona 500 would remain the highest-paying race of the season and said the amount of money provided to teams would increase each year over the nine years of the term.

Though the winnings wont be disseminated to the public anymore, teams have been provided extensive documentation that explains how much theyll receive for finishing in each position of every race.

NBC Sports has learned that some open teams are expecting to earn a minimum of roughly $160,000 for finishing last in the Daytona 500. Last year, under the race purse that included contingency plans, the last-place finisher earned $262,000.

A BUNCH OF YOUNG BLOODS that don't understand what real racing really is .. fact the old guys are the ones you look up too if you are a racer and ask for their help to get you faster ...its funny someday you the young folks will be old just like us and long for the old racing days that you would consider what todays racing is it will change ..I look still look up the those older than me and I am 60..and wont cut them down nore be afraid to ask and will respect what they considered real racing before my time ..so be careful when you knock the olders . :rolleyes:

Because the Wood Bros. haven't raced a full time season in several years.

.....and your point?

What number of years SUPPORTING NA$CAR?......Guess that counts for diddly-squat now days just because crusty and sideshow bob are all about the benjamins.....

As more details come out, the more shady it all sounds.

Go figure huh.....LMFAO.....See above^^^

Keep in mind that the Wood Brothers have been pretty much a fixture on the circuit for more years than I can remember. They have been involved in NASCAR more years than many of the Charter owners have been alive. There are NASCAR Hall of Fame Wood Brothers. David Pearson, A.J.Foyt, and other famous racers drove the Wood Brothers cars. Not including them as a Charter team is just plain wrong.

E-zactly

I believe it's 66 years if my math is correct.....and it is.

As one media friend suggested, we may never see another startup team join the Sprint Cup list of owners. And the reason the field of starters was cut to 40 was that all involved could see the handwriting on the wall that indicated that it would going to be difficult to draw full fields of 43. That is something this writer has talked about in the past.

This guy sounds a lot like me....lol

A BUNCH OF YOUNG BLOODS that don't understand what real racing really is .. fact the old guys are the ones you look up too if you are a racer and ask for their help to get you faster ...its funny someday you the young folks will be old just like us and long for the old racing days that you would consider what todays racing is it will change ..I look still look up the those older than me and I am 60..and wont cut them down nore be afraid to ask and will respect what they considered real racing before my time ..so be careful when you knock the olders . :rolleyes:

I'm 56 years old.

Archived