kart rules

hray

First of all, are you saying because I build LLM's I can't build a kart?

Second, I'm sorry you are having a hard time or are so busy you haven't had time to get the kart rules done, but that's not my problem. My problem is to help get a kart built for a young man who's interested in racing. I can't do that without rules. If you don't have time, why don't you get help from someone that does. If this is going to be a problem all year, you are dooming this class to failure.

BTW, if you look at the other posts in this thread, I'm not the only concerned person.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off this go-kart deal was originally started to allow people like Hray to build a decent kart with a harbor freight engine without breaking the bank and allow kids to try and see if they like it or not. Like all things racing it got out of hand and rules got more and more out of control. Go back to karts with turf tires and harbor freight engines for the younger classes KISS (keep it simple stupid) not directed at anyone..win three in a row,mandatory engine swap with the track or another class competitor ...you could do the same with the older kids as well and say allow racing tires?? Weight?? Some other engine type...it should be very basic and simple Hell there's probably only a couple people there who could even tech a kart....

First off this go-kart deal was originally started to allow people like Hray to build a decent kart with a harbor freight engine without breaking the bank and allow kids to try and see if they like it or not. Like all things racing it got out of hand and rules got more and more out of control. Go back to karts with turf tires and harbor freight engines for the younger classes KISS (keep it simple stupid) not directed at anyone..win three in a row,mandatory engine swap with the track or another class competitor ...you could do the same with the older kids as well and say allow racing tires?? Weight?? Some other engine type...it should be very basic and simple Hell there's probably only a couple people there who could even tech a kart....

Remember those days well. Yard cart with a Harbor freight stock motor and it was fast as hell. Ugly ass kart even won the championship.

post-344-0-81281900-1455744297_thumb.jpg

I came into this as someone that has the love of racing and believing that the kids are our next generation of racing. The rules are practicaly the same then and now. Ken said here are the rules go run the karts. I tried to get them a big event alongside the big cars during getchia some but rain got us. Yes we had one problem with teching. We are right now doing the rules. I had a sit down with one parent and we know the direction we need to go. This to HRay I apologize to you.

I am some what in the dark about the practice, All I can say be there. I do want to have the the first time drivers out practing, so we can see how they do.

LOL Bobby....

Yes Chuck not sure why or how this AKRA thing came in but it has pretty much killed the karts.

I wish there was more input than from one parent on this deal like a meeting or something especially for the parents that have been doing this for 8 years now. But really a drivers meeting for all the parents involved would be good.

Kelly if you get a copy of these rules maybe Topshelf can help you post them so that all these questions can get answered. As of now the kart is untouched because I have no clue what needs to be done to it.

I may just buy an AKRA rule book and search for these answers, however, I'm not an official for the track and could only answer per AKRA rules. Greg, think a all involved meeting may be a great idea but schedules for everyone are difficult to accommodate. I've talked to Kelley before and know he has good intentions for the kart program and I'm willing to help any way I can. Personally, I know very little about the karts but seeing them all go from 10-20 to 3-5 each class is disturbing (not pointing blame at anyone with that comment). The parents probably know the best with how these things work, what is good and bad for these kids and track officials need to be clear with the direction they want to go with the kart program too. I would suggest a meeting or conference call and get input from as many that can be involved and find a happy medium.

I hope you all are working to fix these issues. I admit I have no idea on where the karts are or what needs to be fixed. I am trying to leave that to the people that do. I am of the opinion. It needs to be

1. Safe

2. Fun

3. Cheap

4. About the Kids (not parents)

Lets not turn this into any thing other than about the kids. There should be a class for everyone who wants to participate.

JMO

Ken Hobbs

I agree Ken, just brought up parents since they're the ones funding the karts. Seems like two major issues: motor and tires and a few asking about age limits. Now if the kart program wants open motors and race tires that may incur costs so it would be fair to get a majority ruling on that to prevent maybe costing some out. Of course, the kart racing is about the kids and being that these guys/girls are young safety should absolutely be first priority.

Then drop AKRA and get back to what it was. Having said that AKRA has a lot of upside. But it has to be eased into to make it work.Racers have to know what AKRA is and it's benefits. Like if one decides to go IMCA time has to be taken to make it work.Like SOS is doing. They are giving a season to adjust to a potential IMCA sanction. Go carts have been a major plus to STS. Many of our young racers in E-Mods have come from there and Pure Stocks before them.Carts are not just "kids play". They are the future.

My two cents worth. .turf tires....and go back to harbor freight motors...and like some one else stated before if cart wins 3 times some kind of motor swap. Discuss which restrictor plate per age group and minimum weight. And have a class or 2 for the ones that run the outlaw class.

My two cents is also " keep it simple" from youth to senior karts, go back to what made it competitive and what made for good turn out in those classes, They Had 10 to 15 karts in each of those classes back then.. Stock harbour frieght motors, allow rejetting of THE STOCK carbs,after maket breather, after market exhaust after market throttle plate. And for the record,where did the 10 to 15 super fast open motor flat karts disappear to? I can tell you, when the winged micro sprints where for lack a better term "allowed or forced" into our class. we did not like that, Our opinon was you dont run cage karts with flat karts. We tried to get them thier own class but was told no. so we left.. Had alot of great times on that little track. may even come back if we dont have to run with cage karts.

then ken for cheap [ get ride of the racing tires ]

I hope you all are working to fix these issues. I admit I have no idea on where the karts are or what needs to be fixed. I am trying to leave that to the people that do. I am of the opinion. It needs to be

1. Safe

2. Fun

3. Cheap

4. About the Kids (not parents)

Lets not turn this into any thing other than about the kids. There should be a class for everyone who wants to participate.

JMO

Ken Hobbs

I agree flat karts should not race cage karts. Would be cool if all you flat karts could come out and run. I might put one together and run with you. If it would increase the kart count in seniors to cut out race tires I'm sure we could all come to agree on it.

Archived