Which helmet? Full face or 3/4 open helmet?

TwoWheeler

Hello,

I'm a new guy racing a sport compact this coming weekend.

For helmets, do you typically want/need a full face? Or is a 3/4 open helmet fine?

Coming from the motorcycle world, I never raced anything but a full face. But in a car, I would think a full face might be more than needed?

Obviously a 3/4 is lighter, easier to put on/take off, might be cheaper to buy, and is a lot cooler in the TX weather. So my gut says go with a 3/4...

But if I do, I assume the neck brace won't work as well as it would with a full face, and I might be sacrificing some additional safety??

Any thoughts, comments, feedback, commentary? Thanks for sharing any!! See y'all this weekend!

Get yourself a good full face helmet with a head and neck restraint device in my opinion. You will eventually get the feel of it and its is a very safe way to go. Those that love you will thank you can never be over safe in any division.

Good Luck this weekend! Tell us a little about your car # etc I am race announcer there and will make sure the crowd knows all about you.

76 Sport compact here, I'll be racing with you this weekend. Full face is great. If you still have a windshield, just open the visor, otherwise keep it closed and you'll be fine. Come practice on friday, even if it's raining. Wet track will give you a better feel for the car and help you with reflexes. The biggest thing with rain is you learn when your balance of grip to force or speed is in relation to your steering input, if that makes sense.

what ever feels good to u ......you are already use to a full face so I would go with that .as for heavy once you fire that car up and hit the track you wont notice the weight anyway ...you wont even notice you had to go to the restroom once you hit the track ...

Archived