History uncovered

hray

Actually, when I kid Tom, it's like the pot calling the kettle black since I'm way older than he is.

The picture is from the Al Unser Jr museum in Albuquerque. Probably one of the best racing museums I've seen.

Tom, only kidding. Here's a picture you'll like. It's the Andy Granitelli owned Novi that Unser drove a Indy. These cars were phenomenal. Most of the Indy cars at the time were Offenhauser powered. The Novi had a V8 engine and the car was designed around the engine. They were so powerful that the ground shook when one came by. Fans would actually get nauseous and throw up from the vibration and noise. Unser said he knew they had more horsepower than he had ever driven because each lap he could see his tread marks from the previous lap.

post-37-0-00205100-1439180306_thumb.jpg

"They were so powerful that the ground shook when one came by. Fans would actually get nauseous and throw up from the vibration and noise"

Funny, I seem to remember the same thoughts being expressed about the power source for Nick's "Lighter than Air" chassis on these boards too. Built by his side company...Future Auto Racing Technology, Ing.

Hray 60 is my next step up in age .and every 20 th year I I start my child hood over .so going for three then I may get some of dem dear shoes ,but only to see where I am stepping at night ..now your assessment of toms age would suggest he is on his 10th childhood ..lucky guy ..

Pikes Peak is known as Unser's mountain because the Unsers (going back to Louie Unser) have won more races there than anyone else. There's even a plaque dedicated to them at the 1/2 way point up the mountain. Here's some of their hill climb cars.

post-37-0-76928000-1439390912_thumb.jpg

post-37-0-58252300-1439390917_thumb.jpg

post-37-0-30209800-1439390922_thumb.jpg

Dang, Don't get on here for awhile, and the kiddos have run amok again.......No wait, now it was their great-great-great grandpa!

Have never been to that museum, but have heard it has an interesting group of cars. Always liked that 4 cam ford engine that was used in the indy stuff as well as the sprinter shown above.

The two pics show the two different configurations of the engine, One for Indy cars, and the other for sprintcars. The exhaust outlet is the difference.

post-21-0-23639400-1439733072_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-77818900-1439733180_thumb.jpg

Archived