STS Final Compression Ruling

After much research and testing STS believes the best way to test compression is with the Throttle open and all spark plugs removed from the motor. According to our test results (Listed below) this took not only the actual compression but also takes into account the amount of air that can flow through the carb. Testing with the carb closed varies the results. As we all know even when a carb is closed it is still open to some degree and from carb to carb this amount it is open will vary. Thus this will vary the results.

Test Results

One spark plug removed, carb closed and 5 rotations-- Baseline Reading

One Spark plug removed, Throttle open, 5 rotations- +13PSI

All plugs removed, carb closed, 5 rotations +8PSI

All plugs removed, throttle open, 5 rotations +16PSI

One Spark plug removed, Carb closed, 5 pumps on carb -12PSI

Final Ruling-

Due to the fact that most people in STS garage has built their motors around one Spark plug removed and closed carb STS will adopt this procedure. The one variance STS will require the engine started and ran right before the test. This will make sure that no flooding of the engine can occurring.

With regards to the two cars DQed, STS will take the reading we took on Saturday and deduct the 16PSI. This will be their official compression. With that Calculation being done neither driver was over 186PSI. Both cars will receive their position back and points will be recalculated. Money owed to these drivers will be paid at the next race.

STS thanks all of you for your patience. Also would like to thank those of you who opened up your shop so I could perform the tests needed to have a accurate decision.

This is the FINAL Ruling!

Ken Hobbs

One other comment I would like to say.

Both drivers that were DQed came to me with respect and good manners (for lack of better word) This means a lot to me and I thank you. It must have been frustrating to them both and I thank you for that. It says a lot about both of your character.

Thank you,

Ken Hobbs

Great ty i appreciate the correct information...i live exactly in the middle and i do hope to make races down there...so im glad to see rules being worked on to be the same...ive seen corpus cars in goliad but not goliad cars in corpus...

DANIEL

Arob,

I ALMOST left this question alone. However I can't. I believe the answer to your question is "South Texas Speedway has some of the best drivers in Central and South Texas. STS drivers can go to any track in the state and be competitive. Lets look at Texas Motor Speedway this weekend. I am willing to bet we have 2 out of the top 5 from STS. When you choose to come to STS you better have your stuff together.

Ken Hobbs

LOL ! Mr. Hobbs we share the same thought ! And most of our racers are real young so it should be that way for some time.I wish more tracks would pick up the E-Mod class.They are missing out. Thanks for keeping them.. And what Mr. Nick said too.

I like what arob said. Emods need to visit some other tracks. Heard there were around 18 emods?? My brother and I race in the emod class and were out of town with family and missed that race but are normally at every race. So that would mean around 20 emods. It's looking to me that the emods are possibly one of the bigger classes at STS. Wonder if other emod drivers would travel?

Wonder why that is?

well probably bc they are now going to edna...but who know why... i always had interest in running down at sts to see how i could compete...times ive been there got a 2nd and a 4th from 27th...but it was always the way my car left that deterred me from coming back...but the racing i saw Saturday looks like it has cleaned up and hope i can come down some day...but this really is not tread for discussing tracks to run on...but thanks ken for responding

You know I hear that all the time and when I go to other tracks guess what? They get tore up there too!Stuff under yellow as well! Some of the cars look worse than ours! But we are not alone.Austin guys won't go to CCS either.

Wonder why that is?

well probably bc they are now going to edna...but who know why... i always had interest in running down at sts to see how i could compete...times ive been there got a 2nd and a 4th from 27th...but it was always the way my car left that deterred me from coming back...but the racing i saw Saturday looks like it has cleaned up and hope i can come down some day...but this really is not tread for discussing tracks to run on...but thanks ken for responding

I DO not have a pony to race there this year except the last race of the year , so just obsevation on your post , How much patience did you have going from back to front .Or how many cars did you get so close you got hit or hit others in your quest to go to the front ..23 to 25 cars you had to pass in both races is a lot of cars and makes me think not all the damage was from others .... just wondering not an attack .but your reason for not racing here seems to point the finger at the locals only .........STS good job on how your going to check .ill go over and help one driver check his motor that way ....

Archived