Bell’s First Oval Nationals in the Books

rebelracewriter

Bells First Oval Nationals in the Books

Lonnie Wheatley, NORMAN, Okla. (November 13, 2014) The Oval Nationals. Perris Auto Speedways prestigious event is about as tough as it gets in the wingless Sprint Car ranks.

And 19-year-old Christopher Bell tossed his hat into the Ovals for the first time and came away with a solid 12th place finish in the Saturday night finale.

Over 50 cars there and we made it into the show and ran 12th, Bell commented. Thats not too bad for someone that hasnt run much non-wing stuff, well take it.

With Bells first Oval Nationals in the books, its back to North Carolina this weekend for more super Late Model action with the Kyle Busch Motorsports team on asphalt.

Bells Oval Nationals experience got under way on Thursday night with the Norman, OK, native timing in 11th among a field of 46 USAC West Coast 360-ci Sprint Cars in his first PAS laps aboard the Roth Motorsports No. 51T entry. After a runner-up finish in his heat race, Bells night was cut short with engine problems early in the feature event.

Swapping out 360-ci engine for 410-ci to kick off the official USAC-sanctioned Oval Nationals on Friday, Bells night nearly got off to disastrous start.

I nearly dumped it on my first qualifying lap so I just took it easy the second time around to make sure I got a lap in, Bell explained.

Mired at 23rd quick among the field of 55, Bell won his heat from the front and then rallied from 19th in the A Main to a strong tenth place finish.

Bell carried that speed over to Saturdays $20,000-to-wn finale, timing in ninth quick and then finishing second in his heat race to lock into the main event.

After the six locked in guys, we were second best in points, Bell said. We were going good, starting eighth in the feature.

This one wasnt meant to be though for the racer that has already reached victory lane 25 times in 2014.

We fell like a rock at the start and just never really got going, Bell laments.

Bell ultimately took the checkered flag 12th in the 40-lapper to finish off his first effort at the PAS.

Bell goes from left coast to east this weekend for Saturdays Super Late Model 200-lapper atop Southern National Motorsports Park asphalt, an event with a scheduled stop after 125 laps for right side tires only.

Its going to be another entirely new experience for me, Bell laughs. Itll be interesting, Im really looking forward to it.

2014 Quick Stats: 101 races, 25 wins, 53 top-fives, 67 top-tens.

Next Up:

Saturday, Southern National Motorsports Park (Kenly, NC) Kyle Busch Motorsports No. 52 asphalt Late Model

Keep Track: Keep track of Christopher Bells on-track action including schedule and results at http://www.christopherbellracing.com/.

If you would like to keep up with all of Christopher Bells racing action by having press releases e-mailed directly to you, simply send your e-mail address to Lonnie Wheatley at lonniewheatley@gmail.com.

Penning the recurring series of The Wheatley Chronicles articles on racinboys.com, Lonnie Wheatley provides media, public relations and more for select tracks, drivers and events. For more information, Wheatley may be contacted at lonniewheatley@gmail.com.

Archived