Set ups?

sean-accstudent

It for me. I dont know much about the trucks, Im needing to know how they are set up.

sean B)

You are asking for teams to divulge their setups which are normally fairly well kept from the other teams. Often times particular set ups have taken weeks, months or even years to develop.

A good place to start learning about suspension engineering would be the Steve Smith Autosports series of chassis setup books available on line.

Nick Holt

Sean

Dont be sorry for asking questions. I admire that. Most young people dont ask questions because they think they know everything. Im sorry that I cant help you with your question but Im sure there are alot of people on here that would enjoy giving you some advise if your really interested. Im sure you are. You sound like a very smart young man. I know you go to THR but I extend to you an inviatation to SAS as my guest anytime you want. Just PM me and your ticket will be waiting at the gate.

PAPA

put four tires on it get the truck runnin and go from there because without trying to beat around the bush their isn't just one perfect setup unfortunealy just gotta get input from your driver and work from there.

Sean if its a metric chassis try starting off with Lf 1000 Rf 1100 Lr 350 Rr 300 with 1 1/8" hollow bar this is provided that all the springs are in stock location and the track width is stock.Try starting with 51% cross and start adjusting from there. have fun

Sean,

PM me with your ph. # and I'll call you... I'm looking for someone like you who wants to learn and isn't afraid to ask for help.

I have noticed that you've been asking around for future jobs with cup and truck teams. I may be able to help you out there in the future once your done with classes...

Sean...you didn't make anyone mad...I like your enthusaism...racing needs more young people like you...

You are probably too young to know, but "set-up" is also is an old beer joint term. Before you could buy mixed drinks everywhere, due to the laws and the baptists, you had to bring your hard liquor with you (BYOB). But the beer joint would have glasses, ice, cokes, etc. Those items are called "set-ups". The TSRS/USRA Banquet press release refers to those types of set-ups. So re-read these posts and you will see some of the guys were pulling your leg in true race team fashion. Like sending you after the left handed monkey wrench or the wire stretcher.

Asking for race car set-ups is like asking Colonel Sanders or Coke for thier secret reciepe. This is usually closely guarded Intellectual Property that they feel gives them an edge over ever one else. And if someone does share, beware!!! People may have no better idea than you do or they may intentionally mislead you. But some people enjoy helping and if you establish relationships built on trust and hard work first, you may find the info you are looking for. The last couple of posts have had good advice and it looks like you made a couple of friends at SAS.

I know less than you do about set-ups, I should clarify, race car set-ups. Maybe we can talk Nick into having a class in Austin on set-ups. He is teaching one in San Antonio I was unable to attend.

LL

racerjim, you got to be kidding that is super stiff for a light weight race vehicle. i would be thinking fronts around 500 and rears around 150 with an 1 1/4 sway bar, probably wouldnt bounce around as much although it would all depend on shock package, driver feel, gearing, air pressures, trailing arm angles, pinion angle, and most of all wich side of your mouth you chew gum with. sean no real setups will come from this i think---uuummm---cant remember who said it, but build relationships watch and learn and the info will come. Jim that was funny!!

i don't think jim meant to mislead anyone...that sounds about right for a metric bomber(pure stock)for sas...the only problem is it would not work on the truck-there's a 500# differrence between the two...i pretty sure those are along the lines jim was thinking...

but then again sean no one set up will work from race to race and 2 drivers out of 100 might want the same set up....this is were you familarize youself with that driver's style,before you even know where to start...it takes time and patience....outside advice is always good,but you've got to work with the driver before anything ammounts to progress....

Maybe we can talk Nick into having a class in Austin on set-ups. He is teaching one in San Antonio I was unable to attend.

LL

Larry,

All I need is a place to hold the seminar in the Thunder Hill/Austin area and I'm game.

The San Antonio is going especially well and will be over the last week of December. I would be able to start an Austin seminar in Mid January and have it run through the end of February.

The way these work is that we meet on a weeknight evening for six weeks. The classes start at 7:00 p.m and run through 10:00 p.m. We could meet every Tuesday evening from January 18th through February 22nd if we have 10, or more, folks interested in attending.

Nick Holt

Archived