Prayers for our friend, Trey Ware, who just lost his son, Justin

NickHolt

Trey is one of us, a racer, a true Texan and a born-again Christian. The Ware's Trey just tragically lost his son, Justin, a talented young man who life ended way too early - at least from our point of view.

Trey, the Good Lord knew all about whatever was troubling Justin and what troubles each and every one of us. Please turn to the Lord of Creation during this nightmare and ask Him - beg Him - for His peace. There will be no easy answer to the "why" question and there will be no logical way to stop wondering if maybe there wasn't something more any of us could have done for Justin. All we can do is trust the Lord that He has done what is right whether we understand it or not.

My heart breaks for you, sir.

Nick

I am so saddened by this, I can't begin to know how the Ware family must be feeling. I have known Trey forever and enjoyed it when Justin used to go to the races with us. It was just 5 years ago that their daughter Rebekah passed away. Only faith can get you through tough times like these, My prayers go out to Trey and Nancy, May The Lord help them in this time of need.

My friend Trey - It was terrible news to read about the loss of your son Justin.

You have been my friend since you were a boy at Pan American Speedway. I am sorry your boy has left this life.

I encourage you and your wife Nancy to stay strong as these difficult and hurtful days will slowly improve, although all to slowly.

Perhaps we'll meet at Justin's Memorial on Monday and renew our longstanding friendship.

Neil Upchurch

• 3 weeks later...

A personal letter from Nancy and Trey Ware:

As many of you know, our family suffered another personal tragedy on April 29th when our son, Justin, took his own life 5 years and one week after our daughter, Rebekah, and just over two weeks after Justin’s girlfriend, Erin, did the same.

No words could possibly convey the grief Nancy and I feel at the loss of both of our children. As any parent who has lost a child can tell you, it is the most heartbreaking thing any parent can endure. Parents are not supposed to outlive their children. All of your hopes and dreams for your child’s life are gone in one millisecond.

Although we question God’s plan, we have never questioned His love because we have seen it expressed through you in so many ways. Nancy and I are so grateful for your prayers, encouraging words, and many expressions of love. Family, friends, and even people we have never met have reached out with prayers and words that we have leaned on during our time of deep sorrow. There are no words to express how much Nancy and I appreciate you and the love you have shown us.

We also want to say thank you to our family at KTSA. We have never known a more supportive group of people. We laugh, cry, celebrate, and grieve together. Our KTSA family has allowed us the time we need to grieve our loss. This is the longest period of time that I have been off the air in my 39 year career, and I am looking forward to returning to the show tomorrow morning.

Having now lost both of our children to suicide, Nancy and I wonder what plans God may have for us. We will share those plans as they become clear to us. For now, please accept our sincerest love and gratitude for the many ways you have helped us during our time of grief. We pray for God to bless you.

With love,

Trey and Nancy

Words cannot express how all of us who listened to Ricci and Trey on the radio and watching and listening to Trey during his time at SAS feel about all this.I just don't know what to say but feel the love thousands of people have for the Ware family.And that will never change.May the Ware family find peace.

Obviously I can't equate losing a child, much less two to suicide but I have felt it pretty close with my best friend's brother and a high school classmate and it's such a helpless feeling seeing the family and friends after losing a loved one. No words can express the sympathy from a stranger as I can only speak as a parent and compassionate human being and wish the Ware family love, support, and healing.

Archived