Diesel woes

thumper

My race car towing truck did a wierd thing and I cant figgure it out.Its a 90 Ford 1 ton with a 7.3 non turbo diesel.When I started it to go to the shootout,it started very rough and lopes like too much choke while smoking tremendously.When ideling cold it has a dead miss.After it warmed good the miss is almost gone and the smoke is much less.(white smoke)I replaced 4 glow plugs and 1 injector I thought was bad but nothing changed.Whatever broke was instant on that start up,the day before it was fine.Compression is 300 on the lowest,400 to 450 on the rest.Can an injector break and flood engine?Will these engines break pistons for no reason?Pump break causing a rich condition?It runs fine on the road,same as always.It had 1 lung down a little on compression since Ive owned it.Drove to Waco 2 weeks earlier.Im stumped.Any idea what broke?It wasnt even that cold that day.Cant pinpoint dead cyl,it changes.Normal blow by for hi mileage motor.Help?Thanks.

Probably an injector. With the truck running crack the injector lines one at a time. When you find the bad one the engine won't change tone and the white smoke will lessen or go away. When an injector goes bad it dumps raw fuel instead of a fine spray.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a chance to work on the Ford again and I think its fixed now.It was very hard to find the bad injector because it loped so bad but #8 seemed to be the pooest running cyl.I replaced that injector and it seemed to run better but still smoked a lot.I advanced the timing and VIOLA it cleared up and the smoke went away.It must have been a combination thing.Thanks for the responses,I appreciate them.The truck has lots of power now.

Archived