over heating mini stock

stonecold786412000

I have put a brand new thermastat and radiator cap and I still over heat I have check the oil and I.do not have water in the oil so I do not know what to do now if anyone has an idea please.let me know thanks 25. Mini stock

It would be easier to diagnose with a little more information:

A) How long does it take to overheat, as soon as it gets warmed up, after a few laps of racing, right after the race? Have you noticed if it cools down under a few caution laps? is it pukeing water out? when?

Just going to throw some ideas out,

1)Are you sure the water pump is working? Thermostat( you can check this by feeling the water inlet hose to the engine. If car is hot but hose is cold luke warm then thermostat is not working. and cap was a good place to start.

2)Hi techs correct that old hoses can collapse. I had one that kind of separated and collapsed on the inside but the outside looked fine. I'd take them off and check them out to write off the low cost easy fix first.

3)Are you losing some water but not seeing it puke out? A bad head and/or gasket can let the water leak into the exhaust port where it gets blown out or evaporated by the heat of the exhaust. If its a small amount it might be hard to tell but sometimes you can look in the tail pipe and see water dripping out that is not morning condensation. You can also lose very little water and still over heat because the exhaust gasses are leaking into the engine and heating it up.

4)My sons car was losing water where he needed to add a quart or so every 1-3 days but never saw a leak and the oil stayed dry. he was over heating and it was a head gasket. really showed up once outside temps hit 100.

5)Our mini had heating issues once right after the race. During the race it got plenty of air but pull into tech after the race and it was spewing water.... the fan thermostat was broke and the fan never turned on. during the race it was fine but after it needed the fan.

6)And some of them also have the transmission cooler inside the radiator. If these fail you'll might see water inside the transmission, or transmission fluid in the radiator, a little bit of trans fluid and it will over heat. The water will look brownish and have a scum like oily mixture on the surface. Ours failed and it took like 3 races to figure it out. That was a new radiator, and a lot of transmission/ engine flushing.

Should have asked if it was asphalt or dirt. If its dirt I'd check to make sure the radiator is free of dirt so air can pass threw and that all the fins are straight. I hate to admit it but I once cleaned my radiator and the water pressure bent all the fins over. a small screwdriver and lots of patience opened them all back up.

Also these things have real low horse power so any brake drag will strain the engine and heat it up quickly.

Just some ideas...hope its a hose or the fan

Well if you break it down, the cooling system only consists of the pump, thermostat, hoses, radiator, and fan. If you have ruled out a head/engine problem, the thermostat, pump and radiator cap that leaves the radiator, fan and hoses. If the fan comes on that rules it out. take off the hoses and look through them. sometimes they can seem fine but are severely restricted and you cant tell from the outside. And then check for a clogged radiator. Maybe it can be flushed out. If that doesn't do it I'd do a leak down/ compression test to re verify the engines okay.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived