wondering ?

As I drove home past Longhorn Speedway yesterday I noticed a truck

parked under the grandstands in the freshly cut grass and there was a tractor in the infield doin'-it-to-it in there, also looked like the for sale

sign was down. Anyone heard any rumblings lately?

Last time I saw that kind of action on the property, it was in hopes of

dirt track racing or maybe the property did sell finally?

I spoke face to face with the new property owner this afternoon and

he indicated the he plans to have what will once again be called

"Austin SpeedORama " open by the beginning of July. Work is in progress

to clean all areas of the current track. Mr. Miller tells me his main project

will be replacing all the current wooden bleachers, as the frame on the

main grandstands is still in good shape.

All current restrooms and concession booths will be re-painted and used

as the track re-opens, he also plans to add concrete on all areas under

the main grandstands.

It looks like the headlining class will be something along the lines of the

Street Stock/Sportsman class and he did tell me he has a tech inspector

will keep everyone in line. ( tried like hell but couldn't get a name, not

from the THR camp was all that would be clarified)

The gentleman is looking for help in all areas of his work getting this

track back into shape, he added that anyone is welcome to stop in if

they see work going on at the track. It sounds like a great situation,

hopefully this will all work out and we will have a new "old" racing venue

here in central Texas.

Rodney

Praise the man above!!!

Finally the world will be a better place

Longhorn Speedway will live again!!!

Of course we have all heard this one before.

I'm having a hard time getting too excited about the thought of Longhorn re-opening. I know there's a lot of history at that track, but we all remember too well what happened last time they tried to reopen. If it happens again, it will just be another battle of the tracks between Longhorn and THR to see who can survive. This may be a great thing to those who want to see THR go under, but I'm not in that boat. I may not agree with everything the THR management does, but overall I think they do a good job. And to me, it boils down to supporting our local track. And right now, that local track is THR.

On the positive side, maybe some close competition would force one or both tracks to promote for a change. Or is that wishful thinking?

cs

I think you are right ......i know there was a constant battle between the two tracks...and this time there needs to be somthing done...am i right??...like maybe the way they had longhorn on friday...and THR on saturday...in my opinion..longhorn would best be re-opened as a dirt track.....the closest one around is kileen..right??...wait wouldnt that cause a problem for kileen is longhorn opened as a dirt track?????............well ill say this much......one thing that needs to go from longhorn are the gaurd rails.........in a race you have no were tro go.......either mess someone elses car up....or tear yours all to hell.....

Jonathan Cleaver

I also think the best idea is making it dirt,the Austin area itself has at least 20 mods around,they could run on fri, nite at 8 pm,it would most likely close I-37 and put a real hurt on the all ready hurting for cars Hot in Waco,but would be the place to be on Fri-nites.I bet they would have at least 25-30 mods every Fri-nite if dirt and IMCA sanctioned.Im sure Ill just keep wishing though.

A usually reliable source tells me that the Austin track will run on Friday nights as a paved track, that they hope to open on Friday, the Fourth of July, and that the owner is already talking to concessions people.

If anyone has more information than that, let's hear from ya!

Nick Holt

Come to thnk of it........i think that longhorn opening back up...would probably be for the best.....and like CS said.......Maybe it would encourage some advertising...???/ im.....i remember going to long horn when i was about 11 (now 17) and it was great....but nick....you think you can find out whyether or not they are going to remove a portion of the gaurd rail???im sure alot more drivers would go out there if they didnt have to worry about messing up there cars everytime they spin out or are spun out....

Thnx

Jonathan Cleaver

No walls will come down or will they be moved out wider

as they were when the track was constructed in 1960.

The only changes will be in the spectator comfort area

with the bleachers and walk-way areas. The pits will remain

as they were in the past.

Nick and others,

I stopped by Longhorn this morning on my way to pick up a new wheel at Special. The owner was not there, but I ran into a gentleman (didn't get the name) who is meeting with him tomorrow morning about running the concessions. The man I spoke to had the opinion that opening by the 4th was very ambitious. The track was open, so I walked around to check it out. I would have to agree with this gentleman's opinion. The track surface needs work as does everything else from the pits to the stands to the buildings.

Like Rodney said, it's definately been sold and work has definately begun, so I guess we'll see what develops.

Hey JP, care to say how much more gear you run there compared to THR?

cs

I'll call on of my reliable sources from the concession world and see if he has heard anything. I'm not sure that making it a dirt track would be that good. The count on the mods is correct. Why not make the mods the top class. All the track needs to do is fill out some paperwork to make it IMCA sanctioned. Why not have IMCA points on pavement. Beside if a racer is going to go from North Austin to Pleasanton to race wouldn't it be easier to change some shocks and go to the pavement?

Why not run ROMCO there, used to be TIDA a while back and they ran there,

Suggestion to the new track owner, make it a little longer, take turns 3 and 4 wall out and extend the track a little bit with a little more banking in the turns, to give each turn its endividual characteristics. make for better racing, and a little longer track,

even if the changes weren't made i would still like to run there again!!

ROMCO can run there as long as they dont take any dates away from CC and if they have to take dates away take them from the track in the area.... (I know this won't be liked but ROMCO is a TEXAS SUPER LATEMODEL SERIES not just a SA-Austin area series.)

I still think they should pave Saratoga and run ROMCO there. :)

I wnet out to Longhorn today as well, but there was no activity. The grass has been cut and the "For Sale" sign is down. All the gates were open, so I assume they are working around the track.

From the looks of the building and such, I agree that opening by the Fourth of July will be a trick.

As far as track improvements go, the first order should be to 1) improve the grandstand seating, and 2) do something to attract people to those grandstands. If you don't do that, nothing else you do will matter.

Of course, the above is true of Thunder Hill as well...

Everyone has "sources," right?? ;)

Well, after contacting a few of my own "sources," let's just say I wouldn't get too excited about Longhorn opening---just yet....Not saying that it won't open....

Let's just take a wait-and-see attitude about the project right now..More coming up on the show on Sat. morning... <_<

Miller and his family own two businesses in the Austin proper

area. One being a mobile home transporting company and the other

a salvage company,those are both currently in operation so

apprently this dude has some knowledge of how to keep a

business solvent.

Home Depot had been contacted by these people regarding

an arrangement on the lumber needed for the stands,I don't

think this any type of corporate presentation.

You guys are right,it would be cool to have this place up and running

again,hopefully it all worx out .........

Chuck,

Are you keeping inside info from your "sources" from all your friends here at TSZ just so you can have a "scoop" on your radio show? I promise we won't tell a soul if you tell us what you know now. LOL..

Nick Holt

Archived