Street Stock Question

Alright, let me first start off by saying I am not trying to start any kind of argument or anything. I currently live in Arkansas, but my wife's family lives in Manor and we are looking to move here soon. Cotton Bowl is the closest track by a long shot and I enjoyed my first visit this past Saturday and plan on being there for the ASCS show on Thursday. My question is about the body rules in street stock. BOTH sets of rules plainly state that bodies must strongly resemble stock, upon looking through the photos of past races, I noticed the 52 "street stock" what car is that modeled after? Doesn't look like any vehicle I've ever seen. Just curious.

Alright, let me first start off by saying I am not trying to start any kind of argument or anything. I currently live in Arkansas, but my wife's family lives in Manor and we are looking to move here soon. Cotton Bowl is the closest track by a long shot and I enjoyed my first visit this past Saturday and plan on being there for the ASCS show on Thursday. My question is about the body rules in street stock. BOTH sets of rules plainly state that bodies must strongly resemble stock, upon looking through the photos of past races, I noticed the 52 "street stock" what car is that modeled after? Doesn't look like any vehicle I've ever seen. Just curious.

It's a Gremlin without front fenders....but he didn't race it this past weekend...he ran his camaro.....

Brenda

Well there ya go! Thanks for the reply! That's an interesting choice of body! I like it.

google vintage stock cars. It use to be a very popular body style with dirt track stock cars. I myself like the old school look....

We are having that same problem at HOT. Just my opinion, instead of resembling a factory body, it should BE a factory body with a steel floor pan at least covering the four main body mounting holes in the center section of the frame. Most of these aluminum bodied cars look like sportmods and do not even remotely resemble a factory body. Again just my opinion.

The problem with stock steel bodies is parts....when you have to spend 500$ on a parts car, it does not make sense to require a body that has not been made in 40 years....of course we could always just buy the 80 monty carlo body from performance body...and all look exactly alike....that would be great.....if it was a pure stock...maybe... I have 150$ in my body...and can fix it anytime....my stock body cars I can not fix without a large investment.

As for the pacer comment....it almost was one....even looked at a stock body pinto....(either one looks better than a boring monty carlo) AJ

I like the Monte Carlo body style but does look funny with a 10" wheel/tire though. But with that being said, Dancer's cars have always been, well, unique. As for name, I would call it more of a Hobby class because there's not too much "stock" either. Let me rephrase that, there's more modifications that can be made in this series as opposed to a stock class, not a bad thing, just an observation.

Parts aren't that hard to find if you know where to look. But I agree with aluminum bodied being easier to repair. The problem is that the vast majority of the aluminum bodies do not look anything remotely like a "stock" car. At HOT, I couldn't tell you what they are supposed to look like. The bodies need to be stock or have stock dimensions. As far as the Monty Carlo argument, look for something different. Use or make a Cadillac, Pontiac, Buick, etc body. My argument is if you want to look like a sportmod, then race a sportmod. If you are racing a "stock" class, then it needs to be a stock or stock appearing body that is easily recognized as one.

Archived