Looking ahead.. IMCA Sanction possibilities?

Banker36

So the 2013 season will be done before we know it (yes I know theres a few months left) and we'll all be looking forward to the 2014 season. Cotton Bowl is definitely getting off the ground Id have to say and the track surface was just awesome this past weekend. Once word gets out that this is a good 2 groove dry slick track Id see a lot of other mods and sport mods taking interest.

Now here's a question I've got and I feel its never to early to ask. I know its been talked about going IMCA and that IMCA wouldn't/didn't show any interest this year but its a real real good chance central/south Texas is only going to have 1 IMCA track by next year. I would hope not and don't want to be one to spread rumors by any means and for now that's all it is but theres a lot of solid truth to it as well. Money talks and they will only be able to fend off the developers from that track for so long. I-37 was our other IMCA track and as we all know its already closed its doors.

If this is to happen or even regardless if it does, are the powers that be still going to try and talk to IMCA about a sanction? Many tracks only sanction Sport Mods and Modifieds and that's it, is that a possibility?

We'll be bringing our car out regardless like we have been lately but I know and feel that this track could go from 14-18 mods to 25+ on some nights Im sure.

So the next thing Im wondering, is how would you modified and sport mod drivers that read this forum feel about that? being they don't have any other class IMCA would sanction that's why Im asking just these 2 classes.

That would be ok by me. As long as they don't open up the rules like USRA or anything like that they will continue to draw interest from the local mod/sport mod population. I know of several drivers that aren't running there now that would come to cottonbowl if it was IMCA because they run for IMCA points and end of the year award/$$ type stuff. It would be a great business decision IMO.

That's exactly what I'm gettin at, I agree with ya 100%. Guys like Keith White and William Gould just to name a couple big names would show up. And if he put on a early season big race after let's say the ice breaker, hell there would probably be a 100 plus mods and sport mods combined.

What does imca do Besides cost the racer more money for some damn stickers??

Offer across the nation equal rules, insurance, end of year point fund, contingency money and parts. I have gotten checks from imca from every track I have raced at in the last five years. On top of that o can and have raced across the country and know what I'm against.

Joe

What does imca do Besides cost the racer more money for some damn stickers??

Offer across the nation equal rules, insurance, end of year point fund, contingency money and parts. I have gotten checks from imca from every track I have raced at in the last five years. On top of that o can and have raced across the country and know what I'm against.

Joe

Joe is exactly right. Last year was my first full year running IMCA SportMods. I ran at 6 different tracks last year and did not have to worry about if my car met the rules or not because the tracks all had the same IMCA rulles. At the end of the year I recived a set of spring, a set of EQ heads and a check for my points finish at TTS. IMCA sactioning is a big reason that TTS and HOT get 20+ mods and sportmods on a regular basis.

There was an add last week on fb, guy advertising a sm for sale, raceready with a 383, when I questioned it he explained it was fine in sportmods...that's what your running against in non sanctioned AND the track doesn't tech.

Joe

It offers the chance to pull up to a track and not know who you might be racing against, that's what it offers. I'm sorry but we left asphalt racing because we got tired of there being 10 cars showing up. Granted there are IMCA tracks that struggle to get 15 cars as well but with a facility like they have at cotton bowl I don't see that being a problem. If TTS was to unfortunately shut down it really wouldn't be a problem. But it's nice to pull up to a track and not know which big guns might be there that night, you could be racing against the national points champion that night or a track champion from as far a way as Canada.. To be the best, you've got to beat the best. And there's a whole lotta damn good registered IMCA drivers.

Archived