invert

sm44

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting a bit off topic but I'll chime into my own topic.

1) if you qualify 10 or 12 the heat races mean something. 2 heat races than top 5, 3 heat top 4, 4 heat top 3.

2) then the slower cars that start up front should have more control, if not then they wouldn't qualify.

3) lets face it, we have all been in over our heads at some point. Either in a class above our skill, above our $$$ limits or just plain missed the setup. If this is the case you will start at the back and the fast cars won't get to you till they lap you.

4) I can take a mediocre driver with a big motor, no brains and a heavy track and he be competitive, put that same guy on a slick track and watch him spin his way to the back. I lost a very nice motor there on that track that I believe would still be going had the track been slick.

5) if the track would follow imca lineup procedures it would help, drivers know what they are getting and it works at hundreds of tracks across the nation.

6)i'm all about including the fans but letting one draw invert is not fan participation and I could still sandbag to start no worse than 2nd row.

Joe

Getting a bit off topic but I'll chime into my own topic.

1) if you qualify 10 or 12 the heat races mean something. 2 heat races than top 5, 3 heat top 4, 4 heat top 3.

2) then the slower cars that start up front should have more control, if not then they wouldn't qualify.

3) lets face it, we have all been in over our heads at some point. Either in a class above our skill, above our $$$ limits or just plain missed the setup. If this is the case you will start at the back and the fast cars won't get to you till they lap you.

4) I can take a mediocre driver with a big motor, no brains and a heavy track and he be competitive, put that same guy on a slick track and watch him spin his way to the back. I lost a very nice motor there on that track that I believe would still be going had the track been slick.

5) if the track would follow imca lineup procedures it would help, drivers know what they are getting and it works at hundreds of tracks across the nation.

6)i'm all about including the fans but letting one draw invert is not fan participation and I could still sandbag to start no worse than 2nd row.

Joe

Well said... Email the promoter and onwer.

Everyone should that has a good point to make. Flood their inboxes so they don't flood the track!

Danny Bennett

Phone: (512) 748-4218

Email: dbennett@cottonbowlspeedway.com

Tech Inspector (Rules questions)

Jimmy Dearing

Email: rules@cottonbowlspeedway.com

Spoke to Danny today.

1) The invert will get fixed.

2) Will try to water the track a little less.

3) Is concerned (especially in mods) that people are driving over their heads and show a general disrespect for other drivers and their equipment. Drivers need to be more patient.

I cant disagree with any of that.

Here's my take and y'all can take it or leave it, I haven't been around dirt racing that long but I'm like a sponge and take in all the info I can/watch every drivers move.. I have however been around short track racing since I was 9.

1) although the track is tacky there wasn't a 'horsepower' issue, the winning engine wasn't some big bad expensive 383 or 400 and our engine makes maybe 430 horse at the wheels and our car was easily a top 5 car where it finished and was by no means out motored. He was actually having to check up to keep from running people over. My personal opinion is that this is such a monkey see monkey do sport that everyone thinks you've got to have a 800 horse engine and turn it up to 7800 rpm.. Probably why people are popping engines all the time.

2) the modified division tends to be a 'wild' division, you've got to make moves fast and hope they turn out the way you want.. If you're not aggressive on restarts you're losing a valuable chance at gaining position.. Now you add in the fact that you're on a fast tacky track there is no give. I didn't see anything much different than I do at any 1/4 mile track I've been to I just saw speeds that were unforgiving on a track that wouldn't let your car 'give'.. Make it go dry slick and people will have to be more nimble on that gas pedal and speeds will slow down and people will be less likely to bonzai their car off into the corner.

Spoke to Danny today.

3) Is concerned (especially in mods) that people are driving over their heads and show a general disrespect for other drivers and their equipment. Drivers need to be more patient.

I spoke to Danny at the intermission this weekend about how his complete field invert would destroy his heat racing program and left little to no reward for running them. He seemed receptive to this and I am glad he is going to change it. Hopefully to the IMCA style of point average invert.

sm44, I completely understand how you feel about your motor. Im also concerned about how much longer my motor can take this heavy hammer down track. Its only a matter of time before this heavy track eats some more motors.

Guys just remember this, if we ask for a slick track, then we have to accept this as a learning process. The track will end up a dust bowl a couple times until they learn the proper way to work the track. Just understand this is part of the learning curve and we have to be willing to be flexiable until they learn the what the surface requires.

I spoke to Danny at the intermission this weekend about how his complete field invert would destroy his heat racing program and left little to no reward for running them. He seemed receptive to this and I am glad he is going to change it. Hopefully to the IMCA style of point average invert.

sm44, I completely understand how you feel about your motor. Im also concerned about how much longer my motor can take this heavy hammer down track. Its only a matter of time before this heavy track eats some more motors.

Guys just remember this, if we ask for a slick track, then we have to accept this as a learning process. The track will end up a dust bowl a couple times until they learn the proper way to work the track. Just understand this is part of the learning curve and we have to be willing to be flexiable until they learn the what the surface requires.

Aren't you the guy that ran over me when I broke?sorry bout your bumper though..

Joe

I know everyone now days likes a slick track and yes its easier on motors but I think its boring to have the same track every week. If you wanna take it home and run the valves and wash it off then go drag racing. Id like a track thats not the same every week now I dont mean I want a heavy track thats not race able but what happened to having to make adjustments and try things out keeping every one thinking. Just my opinon.

I know everyone now days likes a slick track and yes its easier on motors but I think its boring to have the same track every week. If you wanna take it home and run the valves and wash it off then go drag racing. Id like a track thats not the same every week now I dont mean I want a heavy track thats not race able but what happened to having to make adjustments and try things out keeping every one thinking. Just my opinon.

I actually agree with you on that. It also can throw some guys off that get in a rhythm. Just keeping it heavy isn't the answer.

Dry slick is the only way to seperate the men from the boys.
The only way to seperate the men from the the boys is speed. and those other two things. lol

All it takes to go fast on a tacky track is money. Lots of rookies look like steve kinser til the track dries out then they run out of talent real fast.

Keep the invert but do it the IMCA way.. If you can't drive around slower cars to get to the front then you shouldn't be driving a racecar.. A good driver will work his way through a pack of cars un-scathed. You've got to have the complete package as a driver to be competitive. Missing wrecks and passing slow guys is just part of it. It's called racing, not follow the leader. You put all the fast guys up front and that's what it will be.

WELL SAID .

Spoke to Danny today.

Just throwing my opinion out there... I think that being patient will be the key to success at this track. The number 41 modified from this past weekend would be an example. even though the car did not sound up to par the driver managed to get a decent finish and avoid the wrecks. I think if anyone that has a great running car and is not already out in the front, being patient and making smooth moves through the field will be the key to a great finish... the last lap is the only lap needed to be lead to win the race and if the car is not on the track at that time its kind of hard to get there.. Just my opinion

If you want to say that anyone can driver on a wet track then why did only 6 cars make the last lap in the mod. class looks to me like they cant drive on a wet track. If it was dry slick how many would still be on the track at the last lap 3? no other class out there had that big of a problem with the track Pure stock, street stock, and sport mod had one caution in each race how many did the mods. have? If you cant drive on both dry and wet then you are not a driver. And if you dont have the money to build a car that runs in the front of your class then sounds like maybe you should drop down a class so you can run with the big dogs. This is racing the person with the best car and that can drive their car and not over their head is the one that should win the race. The guy that won the mod race did not start in the front but he drove his car to the front, with out getting wrecked until someone ran into the back of him under caution.

But just as many people that want the track dry their is that same number that want the track wet. You can not make them all happy.

Dry slick in 1 and 2, tacky in 3 and 4 and half of each straight away... There, everybody will be happy then. Discussion closed.

Sounds goods or do

Dry slick from 1 all the way down the back and tacky from 3 all the way down the front....

or Start in the middle of the corners so that they have both dry and tacky on both ends...

Maybe one reason why I have had the same engine and driveline in 2 cars for almost 3 years is cause we will not run at a consistant tacky all the time track. I'll spend the money to build good cars and motors but tacky will take its toll on them week in and week out and your kidding yourselves if you dont think so. As far as the driving itself goes it shouldnt matter. Every car is equipped with a steering wheel, brakes and gas pedal last time I checked. Unless half the drivers are putting duct tape across their visors maybe thats the new thing.

Archived