Looking....

zoom

After my first race saturday at SAS, I was happy I finished the races in one piece. I did blow the upper radiator hose off of the inlet on the intake toward the end of the heat race. 16 lb radiator cap :rolleyes: It also became apparent that I am going to have to scrap the plans of running the TH350. It was getting real hot and starting to slip at the end of the main. Even with an extra cooler. Soooo, I am beginning the search for the parts needed to run a standard. If you have or know of anyone with the following used parts in the SA area, please pm or email me.

1. Sponsor

2. Scattershield/bellhousing

3. Flywheel

4. transmission

5. crossmember for 77 camaro.

6. Sponsor

7. What to do about the driveshaft

8. Clutch pedal and linkages.

9. Saginaw or Muncie 3 speed.(or 4 speed)

10.Sponsor

Thanks in advance

Mark :)

Zoom-

While you are looking for your standard parts, there are several things you can try with your automatic. We ran an ARTS truck for a few seasons, and here are some things we did.

-Use Type F fluid like you put in a ford. It is better than Dexron II. Some guys even used hydraulic tractor fluid.

-Use a good finned cooler, and put it in the airstream. We used a combination of coolers, two long finned tube style, and one finned cooler that looks like any old engine or transmission cooler.

-We had ours converted so it did not automatically shift. You shift yourself. Any shop that does racing transmissions can tell you what is involved. (I don't know squat about them- I took them out and put them back in, period.)

Get rid of that stock pan, and get a deeper one. Stay away from the chrome ones, they help retain heat.

I know these things take a little money, but maybe they will help you until you go standard. Another thing is to talk to one of the current ARTS guys about what they are doing. Several of them are very helpful and great to talk to: Jon Garrett is at the top of that list.

Here is something else for you- that transmission slipping probably contributed to your engine overheating. Use two hose clamps everywhere. You oughta be able to go up to about a 22 lb cap.

LOL Love the Mark "font". That's a good one. We used a 3 or 4 speed, depending on track size, so I don't have alot of experience w/ automatics. But Tom's on the right track with his advise, esp. getting it in the air flow. I don't know the rules, but you might try hanging it on the roll bar by the passenger window. Many of the dirt guys using automatics, place it there. There also seems to be super secret fluid or additive that one guy uses to keep his cool. (about 80% cooler than others) He won't give up what it is, but will tell you it's NOT transmission fluid.

I always considered it a good night, if I could still drive the car on the trailer. LMAO

Been looking at this mystery fluid. anyone have any experience running synthetic fluid. Like Lucas oil or Purple _______? I will have to make this tranny live a while longer. Not getting much of a response on the parts I am looking for. Must be a big hole in the ground where all the good used parts go to.

Right now there is only 1 car in the roadrunner class. He puts in 8 laps every sat night. Kind of sad that there aren't any more participating in that class. Great way to break in to racing and if you plan it right, you can use the same car for the next year in the sportsman class. Just make the required modificatons.

Archived