toyota-glows manifold

dy97

Ok i have a little 85 4runner with a 22re.. itts efi 5 speed.. has 35s on it.. 529 gears.. ive had it a few months and just started driving it.. what i want too know is is there a port some where on this thing to hook in a fuel pressure gauge.. i cant find one.. also i cant find a fuel filter any where in the line.. is the only one in the tank on this thing.. parts store shows an inline.. but i dont see it. The manifold glows after about 5 minutes at 60. Barely touching the throttle just cruising and not just a slight glow.. its like right out of the forgery glow.. back two holes are hotter then the front 2. At idle the manifold temp is about 500 on all holes and around 650 down by the down pipe.. also some one put an aftermarket cam in it.. do yall think they could have missed it by a tooth? Weird part is it doesnt seem to labory like the timing is slow or the cam is retarded... any ideas? Oh and the cat is gone.. so its not stopped up exhaust... Only oxygen sensor is is the manifold

On the 22RE the only way to test fuel pressure is at the banjo fitting where the incoming fuel line attaches to the fuel rail. As far as the fuel filter it sits in the engine bay just in front of the firewall, on the passenger side of the engine down under the intake manifold...it may look hard to get to but trust me its worse. As far as glowing the manifolds my best guess would be the load of the tires/gears plus a bigger cam and some other small issue. If it was me I'd pull the front plate to check the cam timing (which isn't easy on those motors but is easier then rebuilding a burnt-down motor), then set the ignition timing to factory spec. and go from there. We just got done rebuilding a 22RE for an '87 Toyota pickup, let me know if you have any other questions or need any diagrams or the like. Good luck, once is runs those little motors are known to be just about indestructible!

Archived