Another Texas Short Track legend Passes

xzgqh6

i remember in c.c.in tams i finished 3rd he 4th he completly wore out his right rear tire.gave it all it had.but the funny part was he hit my back bumper on one restart i know he was trying to rattle me a little.after the race we went to his pits he always had crown .he told me and my brother that we need to fix our bumper because he couldt push on me good enought.we laughed and laughed.

does any one know when and where the funeral is going to be

To everyone, I will get the information on here as soon as possible. As of now it looks like the earliest may by Friday but still unclear. The family is working very hard and through some tough times right now to get Jerry back home and everyting else set up. Thanks again David Garner

I would like to find someone or somewhere that we can get IN MEMORY of Jerry Schild stickers with his car number 1 along with name for the race in 2 weeks at HMP. If anyone has a connection or knows someone that has a connection to obtain maybe 2 to 3 thousand with a resonable price please post back. I would like do have enough to give to every racer to put on there race car for the remainder of the season along with giving them to the fans in 2 weeks. Please post back with info. Thanks again David Garner

Jerry could be your strongest competitor,worst enemy, or best friend and in some cases all three at the same time. I will always be grateful for having him as a friend. I hope that he is sitting on a trailer fender somewhere with his cup full of crown and telling everyone about his race because I believe he enjoyed that more than the race itself.

To everyone, I will get the information on here as soon as possible. As of now it looks like the earliest may by Friday but still unclear. The family is working very hard and through some tough times right now to get Jerry back home and everything else set up. Thanks again David Garner

David, this is Bill Hicks, you may have heard my name in your travels, I lived 3 houses down from Jerry all my childhood days on Limestone. I was going to go by Charles Ray's tomorrow, he lives down the road from me, have you been in contact with him? if he is busy I will stay away until later, I know he would like to see some longtime friends probably about now, but I can wait.

Mr. Bill

Our prayers go out to all Jerry’s friends and family. We enjoyed racing with him back when TAMS was running. He was always a big help in the pits with anything you needed (during the races and the after party) and a hell of a driver on the track. I remember one race in particular at SAS, he was behind me and had a fast car that night, we buried it into turn one and I was already on the high side of the grove, next thing I know he comes flying by between me and the wall. There couldn’t have been much over a car width for him to squeeze and I fully expected him to hit the wall thinking his throttle stuck. Next thing I know he goes flying by me like he is on rails and not a scratch on the car. He knew what he was doing and I learned a lot about that track that night. We will miss him.

The Ray Family

Viewing for Jerry will be held Thursday Aug 16th at Woodlawn Funeral Home (Antione/i-10) from 4-8pm, Funeral Services will be Friday the 17th at 1pm at Second Baptist Church (Woodway/Voss) with a reception following at Second Baptist. Family also welcomes guests to 510 Bar on Mason Rd following the reception.

If you have any questions call Gina Schild-Knowles @ (713)828-6940.

Thanks to everyone for these great stories and comments! It is great to get a good laugh off of such sweet memories.

from jayski.com

Former Cup driver killed in North Dakota: Jerry Schild, shot and killed at a Tioga [North Dakota] man camp Saturday, was a "local legend" in Texas racing, according to a close family friend. New charges were filed Monday against suspect Victor Scott Lamont, 24, of Lufkin, Tex. Lamont was charged with two counts of Terrorizing, along with the previous counts of Murder and Attempt Murder, Williams County Sheriff Chief Deputy Verlan Kvande said. Thirty-eight-year-old Travis William Lomax, of Fort Smith, Ark., was also released from Trinity Hospital Monday, Kvande said. The sheriff and emergency medical personnel first responded to the Wanzek man camp for the shooting Saturday night at about 10:15 p.m., according to a press release Monday.

John Mandabach's family owns the Houston Motorsports Park racetrack, where Schild has won "many, many races," Mandabach said. The track will dedicate the Aug. 18 double feature to Schild, as it has also done for other lost members of the racing family, and plans to name each of the features at the NASCAR Fiesta Modified the "Jerry Schild 40." The event will also feature a moment of silence for Schild and Mandabach said believes nearly everyone will remember him. Mandabach knew Schild for about eight years and said his extended family has long been part of the racing legend in Texas. "The name Schild in Texas and racing are hand in hand," he said. "I think they're born with the race-car and steering wheel in their hand." Mandabach said Schild briefly raced with NASCAR's Sprint Cup [1974 five races with a best finish 8th at Darlington] in the 1970s and has won "many, many" races over the years in Houston.(Williston Herald)(8-8-2012)

I have known Jerry since the 70's - back to the days when I was racing with Ed Sczech and later with Rick Rapp in the 80's. The man was unique, but very much a positive influence on the Texas racing community. He will be missed greatly.

Nick

Being one of the announcers at Houston Motors Sports Park, I was blessed to meet with Jerry every time he raced at HMP. I would meet with Jerry in the pits before the races and we would talk about sponsors, race strategy and maybe a substitute driver. Jerry was always, and I mean always, a very pleasant, happy man. Never a bad word about anyone or anything.

I know God was pleased when he made Jerry and I am so glad that he decided to share him with us. Jerry's influence with all of the people he touched will not go away just because he isn't here anymore.

Gone, but never to be forgotten, the yellow number 3 Double Oak Construction modified off corner number 4 taking the checkered flag.

Bob Mireles

Being one of the announcers at Houston Motors Sports Park, I was blessed to meet with Jerry every time he raced at HMP. I would meet with Jerry in the pits before the races and we would talk about sponsors, race strategy and maybe a substitute driver. Jerry was always, and I mean always, a very pleasant, happy man. Never a bad word about anyone or anything.

I know God was pleased when he made Jerry and I am so glad that he decided to share him with us. Jerry's influence with all of the people he touched will not go away just because he isn't here anymore.

Gone, but never to be forgotten, the yellow number 3 Double Oak Construction modified off corner number 4 taking the checkered flag.

Bob Mireles

Amen!

Archived