Another Texas Short Track legend Passes

xzgqh6

To the Racing family and the Schilds. I was just made aware of the passing of Jerry Schild. I have some details but the main thing is Jerry will be missed. Jerry has gone to the Speedway in the sky and will be missed by all his friends and family. God Bless and God Speed. Love ya Man you will be missed. David Garner

Jerry Schild was one of the best Late Model drivers in Texas.

Jerry frequently competed in the TIDA Late Model Series and at the Texas Race of Champions and Texas Grand Prix at Texas World Speedway and a few races in Mexico.

He was always friendly and nice and fun to be around. Jerry was one of the first to contact and thank me for my service to Texas Late Model racing when I ceased the TIDA Late Model Series in 1997 after 10 years of operation. Thank you Jerry.

I am hopeful that someone will post on this forum the funeral arrangements and the cause of his untimely death.

RIP – JERRY SCHILD

Neil Upchurch

Founder and Retired Former Driver, Race & Administrative Director, TIDA Late Model Series, Texas Pro Sedans and TWS Race Director

Very big loss for the Texas racing community. Jerry was one of the guys that made racing so enjoyable for the rest of us. Jerry will be sorely missed. Prayers for the entire Schild family.

Nick

What a shock! Jerry was not only a good late model driver, he was one of the best TAMS drivers there was. We chased him around in mods for years, but in all that competition, I don't think he ever put so much as a mark on our car, while winning the TAMS championship (you can't say that about very many drivers).

He was great to be around in the pits too - he could take some good hearted ribbing and he could give it out too. I talked to him after he donated his kidney to his sister and he was so glad he could still race.

I'm praying for his family, he'll be missed.

On behalf of the Baker/Mandabach families, our prayers and condolences go out to the Schild family. Jerry was an awesome man and a very loyal supporter of racing and Houston Motorsports Park. Out of respect and love, HMP is dedicating the August 18th event in remembrance of Jerry Schild and will name each of the NASCAR Fiesta Modified features the "Jerry Schild 40."

I don't comment very very often, but I just have to say something about Jerry.

I've only been racing a few short years compared to Jerry. I started racing mods and for some reason I was always in front of or behind Jerry. It turned into a memorable time for me after the races because Jerry and I would sit, talk, joke and drink more than a little whisky.

Jerry, along with Mike Crofford, will forever remain one of the reasons I'm still at the track every other Saturday.

God's Speed Jerry..........

Jim Nides

This is a senseless loss of the life of a great racer, and an equally great friend.

I knew Jerry over 35 years, and he always had the same great attitude and sense of humor.

The last time I went to Houston, he and I sat in folding chairs for about an hour just talking and laughing about whatever came up. It was a great lasting memory, but not the way I want to remember him.

Thoughts and prayers to the entire Schild Family, truly the first family of Houston racing.

And hoping the parties responsible are brought to justice.

Tom

I will never forget the night at SAS 1/2 mile when Jerry looked over at another Houston race car drivers pit who just happened to have a new Dillon Late Model and saw Dillon himself standing by their new car Jerry ask someone is that Dillon over there? Someone said, yes. Whats he doing here Jerry asked? He came down to get that new car sorted out, to which Jerry replied "I didn't know Dillon was a brain surgeon." Funniest thing I have ever heard on a tech pad.

R.I.P Jerry

No, I won't say who the other Houston driver was.

While we're telling funny stories, Jerry put his TAMS modified up for sale. I called him and, since he had a couple of different ones over the years, I asked him which one he was selling. He said "The one your driver never saw anything but the back end of".

Right around 2003, or 204, Jerry pulls in at San Antonio on a friday practice day. That thing is making all kinds of noise banging and popping like the 4th of July. Since I was just hanging out that day, Jerry and I went trough the entire ignition and fuel system. We changed carbs and carb parts, coil, plugs, pulled the fuel filter, pressure checked the fuel pump, and not a one of those things worked. Only after we drained and cleared the fuel cell and all the lines of gas did the thing decide to run right. We borrowed a jug of gas from another team, and the thing came to life.

As for the fuel that was in it when he showed up, there was no water, contaminants or anything like that. Seems some secret additive blend he would not reveal did not agree with the engine.

To the last day I ever talked to Jerry he would not tell me what was in that fuel.

Hrodder mentioned Ray Dillon and another Houston racer. Jerry had a Dillon that was about the same age as another one's car, they came off the jig in Indiana almost back to back. This is the White #72 Jim Rice sponsored car Schild showed up in aftyer parking his Nova. He ran about 1980 for a half season before Rice pulled the money. Schild scame off turn 2 at San Antonio, and the steering universal pulled out, and he had a free spinning steering wheel. that car spun in left circles 2/3rds of the backstretch before stopping near the entrance to turn 3. Never touched either the outside wall, or the old armco barrier to the pits. Later on, in the pits, I asked him how that felt, and he stated "You know, I was beginning to get it gathered up, then something reminded me that I wasn't really steering the damn thing after all".

The car had no damage, and after being parked, it ended up at Marv Fillips place in San Angelo where Chet Fillip ran it a few times; later became the first late model that Greg Spreen ran in TIDA.

Jerry was a really funny guy to be around and the above stories only scratch the surface of how he was.

To the Racing family and the Schilds. I was just made aware of the passing of Jerry Schild. I have some details but the main thing is Jerry will be missed. Jerry has gone to the Speedway in the sky and will be missed by all his friends and family. God Bless and God Speed. Love ya Man you will be missed. David Garner

Got to meet Jerry many times and his extended family. They are and he was what a racing family is all about, all ways willing to help and give advice even to a competitor. It was a pleasure racing with you.

Jerry was a really funny guy to be around and the above stories only scratch the surface of how he was.

No doubt Tom. I remember one octoberfast race he wrecked on the first lap and got in junkos #65 car that he use to drive. They switched on the back stretch and he pulled around to the front, I was asked to go inform him he wasnt eligable for points (he was in the point battle) since he took the green in a different car. He started laughing and said thats fine but i forgot my cigarettes in the other car can you go grab em while we are red? I could damn sure use one right now!

There were plenty laughs around that pit area.

Archived