nascar driver busted

Brad

I'm all for testing everyone. What I don't understand is if they took the sample a week before, why wait until the following weekend to announce it and suspend him? Seems to me NASCAR should have a way to do a spot check and get the results right away. What would have happened if he had caused a wreck in Kentucky? Don't you think if he was under the influence of some kind of drug or alcohol that NASCAR would be in all kinds of hot water? I for one do not believe he uses drugs or uses alcohol to excess before a race. I do hope his "B" test comes back clean if he chooses to have them test it.

What I don't understand is if they took the sample a week before, why wait until the following weekend to announce it and suspend him? Seems to me NASCAR should have a way to do a spot check and get the results right away.

There is no RELIABLE field testing that will screen for all drugs. There are specific compound field tests - ie cocaine, amphetamine/methamphetamine, barbiturates, opiates etc. - so you can test for coke, but not amphetamine, or HTC and not coke etc. These are used more by parole/probation officers knowledgeable in the testee's drug of choice... HOWEVER even a spec comp field test is not very reliable and a positive field test is not grounds for parole violation unless backed up by a controlled lab tox screen... would not be good for NASCAR to use a simple field test with its less than 99% accuracy to pull the rug out from under a career.

Typically the sample is collected (day one), sent to the lab and depending on their workload tested on day 2 to 4. The results become available usually ~5 work days... My turn around on new hires and randoms is about 12 days - I send employees to a medical office for collection. All of this timing is dependent on WHERE the lab is. I do not think there is enough labs for NASCAR to contract with one near every venue - and that would destroy volume discounts as the tests would now be spread across 20 some labs rather than one! SO even at NEXT DAY (shipping) add two more days to the labs workload! The complex tox screen is not as easy as TV shows. You don't just shake and see what color it turns. They actually run about 6 tests on the same sample - as each reactant will only show its specific compound.

Bottom line - they probably acted as fast as the positive became known and the suspension cleared legal department....

Edited to add (from USA today):

When NASCAR members test positive for an "A" sample, they are notified by NASCAR medical review officer Dr. Douglas Aukerman and have 72 hours to explain the test and request a "B" sample. The medical review officer can choose to inform only the driver or crew member who failed the test. Drivers with positive "A" samples in the past have resolved them by providing evidence such as medical prescriptions, and positive tests can be cleared without NASCAR or a team learning about it.

In the case of Allmendinger's positive, NASCAR took the extraordinary step of temporarily suspending the driver from Saturday night's race in the midst of the process.

It marks the first time a driver has been suspended temporarily while waiting on the "B" sample. That means Aukerman also informed NASCAR of the test because he was concerned about the safety and integrity of competition. NASCAR then can choose to suspend a driver temporarily because of "exigent circumstances" — in this case, the concern of someone possibly being imparied while driving a stock car at 200 mph.

THAT don't sound good...

I say with the money NASCAR has they should be able to have someone on staff who can perform these tests and have the results available in a lot quicker time than a few days.

I say with the money NASCAR has they should be able to have someone on staff who can perform these tests and have the results available in a lot quicker time than a few days.

Have you built a medical facility lately? 230.00 dollars per square foot compared to 160.00 non medical. And what income would pay for the operation of it? Not realistic - NASCAR is in the business of RACING - NOT medical laboratory!

Have you built a medical facility lately? 230.00 dollars per square foot compared to 160.00 non medical. And what income would pay for the operation of it? Not realistic - NASCAR is in the business of RACING - NOT medical laboratory!

I'm not asking that they build a medical facility. I have no idea what all would they need. Just how much would they need for one person to do testing and have results available in a short amount of time? It's not like they're testing a 100 people a weekend. I'm sure it is just a small number they are testing.

I'm not asking that they build a medical facility. I have no idea what all would they need. Just how much would they need for one person to do testing and have results available in a short amount of time? It's not like they're testing a 100 people a weekend. I'm sure it is just a small number they are testing.

But therein lies the problem - unless you would have a sample tested on the workbench in the R&D Center where contamination from any number of sources could lay a mans career to waste a sterile facility is needed. To facilitate testing even 100 people a week - a doctor at 125K per year salary, the facility at over a million (plus upkeep maint etc), the whole package would drive the cost well above affordability.

PER TEST costs wise.

I currently pay 125 per test for simple screen, 205 if it goes complex (if the simple shows a positive). That facility does over 20,000 PER WEEK. If you remove 40% of that cost (the facility profit margin) then divide that back to NASCARS 100 per week and add the facility cost - it would cost them over 10 million a year to do this themselves (but yes they would also have the value of the facility on their balance sheet).

I see where you are coming from though - it IS the nature of us racers at all levels to want to accomplish as much as we can without outsourcing. But if you don't have a crank grinder would you attempt to regrind a crank by hand, or go buy one just for the two or three cranks you will go through in the next few years? The chemistry and test procedure is VERY complicated and NASCAR (along with WalMart, and every other major corp.) is not in the testing business! Add to that the relevant importance of having the test performed by a NEUTRAL THIRD PARTY. The challenges to every positive would be VERY winnable if the accuser is also the one "creating" the evidence!

SO basically doing it in house would cost more and have less value.

But therein lies the problem - unless you would have a sample tested on the workbench in the R&D Center where contamination from any number of sources could lay a mans career to waste a sterile facility is needed. To facilitate testing even 100 people a week - a doctor at 125K per year salary, the facility at over a million (plus upkeep maint etc), the whole package would drive the cost well above affordability.

PER TEST costs wise.

I currently pay 125 per test for simple screen, 205 if it goes complex (if the simple shows a positive). That facility does over 20,000 PER WEEK. If you remove 40% of that cost (the facility profit margin) then divide that back to NASCARS 100 per week and add the facility cost - it would cost them over 10 million a year to do this themselves (but yes they would also have the value of the facility on their balance sheet).

I see where you are coming from though - it IS the nature of us racers at all levels to want to accomplish as much as we can without outsourcing. But if you don't have a crank grinder would you attempt to regrind a crank by hand, or go buy one just for the two or three cranks you will go through in the next few years? The chemistry and test procedure is VERY complicated and NASCAR (along with WalMart, and every other major corp.) is not in the testing business! Add to that the relevant importance of having the test performed by a NEUTRAL THIRD PARTY. The challenges to every positive would be VERY winnable if the accuser is also the one "creating" the evidence!

SO basically doing it in house would cost more and have less value.

I get what you mean. Thanks for helping me to understand.

NA$CARS biggest priority right now seems to be: Should they start having a "Half Time" show during the races??? :huh: Who's on drugs now ??? Lenny66 B)

Yep. I would have to say you are! ;)

Something was clearly pointed out to me today in a conversation. I am (and I think most of us are) looking at this from the angle of a test for ILLEGAL drugs - such as employees and dot drivers etc are put through. Spend some time and cross reference the list of banned stimulants according to NCAA rules to the federal schedule. Many are not scheduled or V and are available over the counter! Testing for SPORTS tests for compounds no employer test does so is more expensive, takes longer AND PROFFESIONAL SPORTS TYPES OF TESTS ARE ONLY DONE AT 4 LABS LAB IN THE US (whereas employment screening is done in almost every major metro) - as there are not only illegal drugs but legal performance enhancing drugs - the ban is on the LEVEL of a compound not even tested on an employment screen. To much caffeine in you system can be a ban - but how many truckers would loose jobs for an off the scale level!!! Add to that that vitamins, food supplements and erergy drinks are not regulated. So you take your OWN chances when you risk your NASCAR license chugging down 4 or 5 energy drinks a day unless you personally have it tested - or test consume some and volunteer before before and after screens.

(a) Stimulants

amiphenazole, doxapram, nikethamide, amphetamine, ephedrine, pemoline, bemigride, ethamivan, pentretrzol, benzphetamine, ethylamphetamine, phendimetrazine, bromantan, fencamfamine, phemetrazine, caffeine*, meclofenoxate, phentermine, chlorphentermine, methamphetamine, picrotoxine, cocaine, methylphenidate, pipradol, cropropamide, meclofenoxate, prolintane, crothetamide, strychnine, diethylpropion, methylene-dioxymethamphetamine (Ecstasy), dimethylamphetamine, methylphendiate

^^and related compounds

So basically until we know WHAT was found and how much - nothing we think or say has any relevance to reality!

Archived