TEXAS WORLD SPEEDWAY "SUPERSTOCKS"

Mel

lots of stars in those pics, sure loved that Lee Machen prepared/ Jerry Grant driven Chevelle!

I kinda liked that car too, Rodney!! Mac still has the car at his farm, with different skin on it.

Do my eyes deceive me or is that a Larry Bendele #23. And where was tws located?

Yes, that is ol' blue smoke himself.

TWS is Texas World Speedway in College Station, Texas. A 2 mile oval similar to Michigan; we ran half the roadcourse, and half the oval. Our events were the "Texas Race of Champions", and were administered by Neil Upchurch.

Some of the funnest weekeds you could ever have in racing. Scroll back through this history section, and there is lots more on TWS and TROC.

Tom: Thanks for your historic alignment and definitions concerning Texas World Speedway and the Texas Race of Champions. Some people don’t appreciate the fact that I suggested the TROC-LM race to the then President of TWS, the late Dick Conole. He agreed provided I run the event from everything to rules writing to race direction. I will list the winners of the TROC a bit later in this post.

Mel: Thanks for posting the historic photos of the Super Stock races at TWS. I also suggested the addition of the Super Stock class support race to TWS President, Dick Conole. He was initially reluctant to approve my suggestion. He needed to be satisfied that a Super Stock type car was suitable to race on the two mile road and oval course. I managed to convince him by having him join me at a few Texas short tracks so I could demonstrate the SS’s in their pits and for Dick to see them racing on track. As they say, “the rest is history”. We had many exciting Super Stock support races with field almost as large as the TROC-LM’s. Jerry Grant of Austin won the majority of our races driving the #81 Chevelle (pictured earlier in this thread).

Texas Race of Champions Winners - Texas World Speedway

< Year & TROC Number

Year/# Driver/Hometown Car# Car Type

1976<#1 Ed Sczech/San Antonio TX #67 Chevrolet Chevelle

1977<#2 H.B. Bailey/Houston, TX #36 Pontiac Firebird

1978< #3 Jimmy Finger/Austin TX #22 Chevrolet Camaro

1979< #4 Jimmy Finger/Austin TX #22 Chevrolet Camaro

1980< #5 Freddy Fryar/Beaumont TX #14 Chevrolet Camaro

1981< #6 Terry Labonte/Corpus Christi, TX #44 Oldsmobile Calais

1983< #7 John Newlin/Houston, TX #54 Pontiac TransAm

1984< #8 Freddy Fryar/Beaumont TX #46 Chevrolet Camaro

1985< #9 Terry Labonte/Corpus Christi, TX #44 Pontiac Firebird

1986< #10 Terry Labonte/Corpus Christi, TX #44 Pontiac Firebird

1987<#11 Tommy Riggins/Jacksonville, FL #02 Buick Regal

1988<#12 Tommy Riggins/Jacksonville, FL #02 Buick Regal

1991<#13 Slick Yoemans/High Point, NC #24 Ford Thunderbird

1996< #14 David Starr/Houston, TX #87 Chevrolet Camaro

1996< #15 Tommy Grimes/San Antonio, TX #22 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Notes: All Texas Race of Champions events were contested on the 2.0 mile road course except in 1996 when twin 25 lap TIDA-LM races were held on the same day on the 1.5 mile Texas World Speedway inner oval (30 miles) Texas Race of Champions events were not held in 1982, 1989, 1990, 1992, 1993, 1994 and 1995.

Compiled by:

Neil Upchurch

Former Race Director, Texas Race of Champions, Texas World Speedway

Contributions by:

Cotton Sherland, Former Chief Inspector, Texas Race of Champions

Russ Martin, Public Address Announcer, Texas Race of Champions

Bob Castleberry, Former Chief Inspector, TWS Super Stock Class

Neil Upchurch

Race Director, TIDA-LM Series, Super Stock Class and Texas Pro Sedans at Texas World Speedway

Founder and Retired Former Driver, Race & Administrative Director, Texas Pro Sedans & TIDA-LM Series

Pat Lane in the #85 inside of Darrell Forrest.

And that 15 is indeed the Hogg himself.

Can't really tell, but the car outside Benker looks like Jerry Spencer, the Kyle tire guy.

The wins we got with Jerry Grant and "ol red" at the TROC events were some of our favorites, but we would have to give credit to a lot of folks on this one. The engine package had help from Ron Neal at Prototype Engines, the cam in the engine was a variant of a private grind that Freddy Fryar developed through Reed Cams, The suspension had no less than Fryar, Danny Stewart, Mac, Steve Klestinec, and a couple others, and no telling who all filled and sanded the body lines after Grant got done with his body tweaks. Add that the engine was tuned by the gifted hands of the late, great, Leroy Brooks, and this car was a total team effort.

don't forget Jerry Spencer in the #56 Nova. Always a contender at TWS and the Ellis Camaro. Love that Grand National looking Bud Light Buick of Larry Hoeuston in the 5 and cannot forget Mr. Spillar in the clean 57 Camaro.

I think Dwayne Dougherty in the sharp #23, notice he's on pole

I have 3 or 4 full envelopes full of pics from 1984-1987 of Texas world super stocks and late model of every car that was there. And also SAS around that same time. I dont have a scanner but i will try to get them on here. If there is a certain car your looking for i most likely have the pic and will post for you.

• 3 weeks later...
I have 3 or 4 full envelopes full of pics from 1984-1987 of Texas world super stocks and late model of every car that was there. And also SAS around that same time. I dont have a scanner but i will try to get them on here. If there is a certain car your looking for i most likely have the pic and will post for you.

Do u have any pics of Gary Chappell, black #13?

• 1 month later...

As I recall, in 1984 Freddie was disqualified in post race inspection (illegal engine if memory serves) and Leroy Farmer in the #11 should be listed as the TROC winner! IF that was not the case, it seems real strange that that trophy was on the shelf in our shop for some reason!

Edit: As pointed out by Mr. Upchurch, the race was the Texas Grand Prix!

As for the rest of the story - well - we will leave it at that!

The year Freddie Fryar was disqualified and 2nd place Leroy Farmer was declared winner was in a Texas Grand Prix race, not the Texas Race of Champions (if I did recall correctly, see next post).

Neil Upchurch

Former Texas Grand Prix Race Director

Texas World Speedway

trlrider: After some additional research of my TWS records, I found the official list (with the exception of March 9, 1986. If anyone has the winner’s name of that Texas Grand Prix event, please post it here)

Meanwhile since the record of the Texas Grand Prix has now been posted, you should post an apology for not understanding the difference between a Texas Grand Prix and a Texas Race of Champions. You’re apparently long standing anxiety; bias and misunderstanding upon which you based your post will then be excused. In that apology, you should consider congratulating all Texas World Speedway, Texas Grand Prix Officials who I employed for their fairness and forthright officiating of the 1985, not the 1984 event which you incorrectly criticized.

Btw trlrider: Is your name Louis Upton?

Texas Grand Prix winners at Texas World Speedway

Year - Driver/Hometown - Car# - Car Type

1980 - H.B. Bailey/Houston, TX - #96 - Pontiac Firebird

1981 - Jimmy Finger/Austin TX - #22 - Chevrolet Camaro

1983 - Freddy Fryar/Beaumont TX - #14 - Chevrolet Camaro

1984 - Terry Labonte/Corpus Christi, TX - #45 - Olds Calais

1985 March 10 - Bobby Allison/Hueytown, AL - #22 - Buick Regal

1985 March 10 - Leroy Farmer/San Antonio, TX - #11 - Pontiac Firebird

(1986 March 9 - TWS records are incomplete regarding this race date)

1987 March 8 - Freddy Fryar/Beaumont TX - #14 - Chevrolet Camaro

1988 March 13 - Bobby Allison/Hueytown, AL - #22 - Buick LaSabre

1991 Sept 21 - Slick Yoemans/Corpus Christi, TX - #24 - Ford Thunderbird

1992 - April 11 - Slick Yoemans/High Point, NC - #24 - Ford Thunderbird

1993 - March 20 - Howard Willis III/Pasadena, TX - #23 - Chevrolet Lumina

Texas Grand Prix list Compiled by:

Neil Upchurch, Former Race Director, Texas Grand Prix at Texas World Speedway

Assisted by:

Cotton Sherland, Former Chief Inspector, Texas Grand Prix

Bob Sherland, Former Inspector, Texas Grand Prix

Russ Martin, Former, Public Address Announcer, Texas Grand Prix

trlrider: After some additional research of my TWS records, I found the official list (with the exception of March 9, 1986. If anyone has the winner’s name of that Texas Grand Prix event, please post it here)

Meanwhile since the record of the Texas Grand Prix has now been posted, you should post an apology for not understanding the difference between a Texas Grand Prix and a Texas Race of Champions. You’re apparently long standing anxiety; bias and misunderstanding upon which you based your post will then be excused. In that apology, you should consider congratulating all Texas World Speedway, Texas Grand Prix Officials who I employed for their fairness and forthright officiating of the 1985, not the 1984 event which you incorrectly criticized.

Btw trlrider: Is your name Louis Upton?

Yes Neil, my name is Louis Upton - many on this forum knows who I am, using that screen name, which I have used since for many many years! I am not hiding or trying to be someone that I am not!

Yes, I confused the Texas Grand Prix and TROC races, it has been many years since I have seen that trophy, and in discussion several weeks ago about the fun days of racing (well mostly) the parties involved we mixed up also!

Your right Neil! Perfect as ever!

Louis Upton

Archived