I-37 Raceway Pure Stock Fire

Jamie

This is my account and my account alone. If there were 1,000 sets of eyes, you would get 1,000 different accounts.

I was standing in the middle of turns 1 & 2 taking pictures and I was watching the cars come out of 3 &4. The 4 car, Watson, looked like he got into the slick stuff on the high side coming out of 4 and pancaked the new concrete wall the track built in the off-season. He hit with a lot of force because the when the car slammed into the wall, all four wheels COMPLETELY came off of the ground. The caution came out immediately and the track officials and saftey crew got to the car in a very timely manor. I guess someone had called the ambulance as they came out onto the front stretch towards the accident. Eric Knudtson, track official, had got to the back of the car to get it ready for the "hook". Everything looked as normal as normal could be for an accident so I looked down at my camera to check my most recent images, for quality, and that's when I heard what sounded like a mini explosion. I looked up and the back of the car was completely engulfed in flames. Knowing I couldn't do anything (too far way, not trained and not equipped with proper safety atire) I started taking images. (Image quality isn't to my standard and for that I do apologize)

i-zkn6KXB-L.jpg

Look at the right side of the dash, the driver had already taken his helmet off.

i-mbRxFNV-L.jpg

Out of the right side of the frame, Eric Knudtson was doing a perfect "stop, drop and roll" technique. I left him out of the picture as I didn't have the heart to take a picture of a human on fire.

i-3Fzfvqn-L.jpg

Here you can see the track officials and safety trying to pull the driver out of the car. On top of the fire truck is Eric Knudtson.

i-cSgZt5J-L.jpg

Still working to pull the driver out.

i-53tN9jc-L.jpg

The driver pulled to safety.

There were 34 seconds from the first to the last image I took, file time stamps.

The driver was okay and Eric had to be air lifted out to SAMMC (used to be called BAMC, Army hospital) in San Antonio. He was treated for burns and even called a couple of times to give updates to his parents, part of the management group of the track, and to get updates to make sure they continued racing. Eric was called a hero, to which he acted very bravely for having total disregard for personal injury to make sure the driver was extracted. I also believe a HUGE "ATTA BOY" needs to go out to the track safety crew and other officials for their actions as well.

Thats Eric on top of the fire truck fighting the fire! After he got seriously burned he still jumped up and took control in fighting it to get that man out of that car! HE IS A HERO and a perfect example of a brave man who cares about other peoples lives even if he is seriously hurt himself!

I am so greatfull that Eric is doing well, he was a hero doing what he did and I commend him on that, but I hope this was a wake up call for the track. I know it Hot in Texas but either a minor or major racing wreck, NO ONE should be around the cars involved without the proper safety gear, track personal,wrecker drivers,ect. I hope this is resolved , it could have been alot worse. Look at the photos ( 5 to 6 people with short sleeve shirts on ) Just glad most involved were ok.

There's going to be a lot of people that want to provide negative commentary on this but it should be noted that I-37 ALWAYS has a full equipped fire truck on site (along with an ambulance) and there are dozens of chemical fire-extinguishers positioned everywhere there are cars. I agree 100% that better equipment could be provided to the track officials (note-they aren’t first responders) given enough money but those pictures show fully equipped fire fighters in frame as well.

Not trying to assess any blame AT ALL but I’d really like to know what failed on that car so as to allow us to make sure none of the guys we work with have the same issue.

Not trying to assess any blame AT ALL but I’d really like to know what failed on that car so as to allow us to make sure none of the guys we work with have the same issue.

Hear say has it that the fuel cell was knocked out along with lead too!

There's going to be a lot of people that want to provide negative commentary on this but it should be noted that I-37 ALWAYS has a full equipped fire truck on site (along with an ambulance) and there are dozens of chemical fire-extinguishers positioned everywhere there are cars. I agree 100% that better equipment could be provided to the track officials (note-they aren’t first responders) given enough money but those pictures show fully equipped fire fighters in frame as well.

Not trying to make this negative from my previous post and yes they do have a ambulance and fire truck at each race but, like I said look at the photo. 5 to 6 people with short sleeve shirts on including the fireman. How can you pull a racer out of a burning car dressed like that. THEY GOT LUCKY THIS TIME.

firesuit $109.00

gloves $ 64.00

head sock $24.00

So basic fire gear that cost $197.00 per person, that will last for years to come or ( SOMEONES LIFE ). Once again, this is not ment to be negative but this needs to be done.

We went down to the infiled after the races to check the car out...AJ wanted to see what went wrong so he could make sure our cars didn't have the same issue...The weight that punctured the fuel cell appeared to be mounted with all thread (grade 2 stuff) and we did not see more than two bolts for the fuel cell...Hope a lot of people take a look at their own cars and equipment after last night and make any changes necessary...

Wishing Eric a speedy recovery!

Brenda

On the phone now with Jim. Eric is in the process of being moved out of Icu right now. Jim also says he had a physical therapy test this morning which he passed.

Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers! More info to come....

Jim, Joy and The Knudtson Family

On the phone now with Jim. Eric is in the process of being moved out of Icu right now. Jim also says he had a physical therapy test this morning which he passed.

Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers! More info to come....

Jim, Joy and The Knudtson Family

That Awsome!!!

We went down to the infiled after the races to check the car out...AJ wanted to see what went wrong so he could make sure our cars didn't have the same issue...The weight that punctured the fuel cell appeared to be mounted with all thread (grade 2 stuff) and we did not see more than two bolts for the fuel cell...Hope a lot of people take a look at their own cars and equipment after last night and make any changes necessary...

Wishing Eric a speedy recovery!

Brenda

If that is true than whats up with the safety inspections on the cars???? I bet ALL cars out there have things that are questionable but it gets by just looking at belts, fire ext., and window nets. It was just a very HARD hit on a pure stock, the way he hit it, and a freak accident. Driver was ok and glad Eric will be ok.

If that is true than whats up with the safety inspections on the cars???? I bet ALL cars out there have things that are questionable but it gets by just looking at belts, fire ext., and window nets. It was just a very HARD hit on a pure stock, the way he hit it, and a freak accident. Driver was ok and glad Eric will be ok.

Safety inspections performed by short track and sanctioning body officials never have, and never will, find every safety issue, no matter how thorough the inspection. At best, safety inspections at short tracks are an honest attempt to keep the safety issue before the race teams who, after all, are responsible for their driver's safety equipment and gear.

I have been a tech/safety official for several touring series and for two race tracks over the years and I can assure you that there is no way humanly possible for even the very best safety crew to inspect every safety-related item on a car, to inspect every piece of personal safety gear before every race, or to even suggest that by passing a "safety inspection" that the car and driver are safe. Not even NASCAR, Formula 1, NHRA, etc, do that. In fact, they specifically state in their rules that personal safety is entirely the competitor's responsibility.

So, please, let's not start pointing fingers at the track or its officials.

Thanks.

Nick

me and eric have crossed ways a few times on track...it makes me think of him alot differently after what he did last night. pretty awesome thing you did eric. praying for managable pain and a full recovery.

"At best, safety inspections at short tracks are an honest attempt to keep the safety issue before the race teams who, after all, are responsible for their driver's safety equipment and gear."

Man, that gets 2 thumbs up from me!!!!

So many just don't care much about themselves or others. "That $#!^ won't happen to ME!"

Tracks DO have a responsibility to provide trained and equipped medical and rescue personnel, in my opinion, drivers and crews have the responsibility of having the right equipment for the job of racing.

We just got home from the hospital and he is doing OK; lots of drugs for the pain but he is very coherent and of course Jim and Eric were talking racing. He has 2nd degree burns on forarms and legs, but no lung damage. Rhonda just stopped by to get Mollie on her way home and said they were leaving him in ICU till tomorrow and a surgeon will determine if they have to do any skin grafting on his ankle tomorrow. Hospital stay is still undetermined.

The Knudtson family would like to thank everyone for your prayers, phone calls and concerns, we know they are all helping with Eric's recovery. It is amazing how the racing family all comes together in times of need.

Joy Knudtson

Archived