would you race?

sm44

would this work? most tracks pay the top 7-10 cars and after that the cars only get their $25.00 pit pass back, so would it work for a track to let the drivers in for free and then only pay 1-7, everyone else gets nothing? I would do it but just wondering what the other racers thoughts are. This is not against any one track so please keep it simple.

joenut

Racers should NOT have to pay enough to cover the Purse.,.However, it seems to be a norm in SOUTH TEXAS.....Good car counts with good races bring spectators thru those gates...If a class CANNOT bring in the count to a point where it brings a SMALL spectator following, perhaps a SLIDING scale purse in effect for that class is the answer....I37 has some of the BEST races every Saturday you can find anywhere in the state....But the cost for a FIRST CLASS CAR is NOT cheap..Look at two thirds of the SPORT MODS,NO JUNK!!, Same goes for nearly all the classes at I37,But a racer needs to recoup SOME of that CASH put out.....I have GOOD FRIENDS in all the classes,I am not BASHING any class, Just dont want to race for pennies ,because the track needs to juggle the money around because of a class with BAD car counts....But i still remember MODS with the BEST car counts every Friday night,I think it could happen again with you guys getting together...And every one has a BAD night, Getting NOTHING would really hurt some....Frank t

NO THAT WOULD JUST BE A SLAP IN THE FACE WITH THE AMOUNT OF MONEY THAT IS PUT INTO THESE CARS NOT ONLY THAT BUT THE HOURS IT TAKE TO KEEP ONE GOING IS UNREAL :blink: I PROB PUT AT LEAST 10 HOURS A WEEK :blink: AND THATS IF NOTHING GETS TORE UP (SOME CLASSES DONT EVEN UNLOAD THERE CARS FROM WEEK TO WEEK ..OR HAVE 2)))THEN U ADD THE COST OF TRAVEL :( AND IT GOES ON AND ON .. AND THEN THE AMOUNT OF TIME IT TAKES TO BUILD ONE FROM THE GROUND UP ....... I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF EVEN A RODEO CLOWN NOT GETTING PAID FOR PUTTING A SHOW ON :rolleyes: SOOO THATS JUST SOME OF MY INPUT AND YOUR MRIGHT MY CAPS BUTTON DOES NOT MOVE LMAO OOOOOO...... IF THEY PROVIDE THE CARS IM ALL IN .....

NO THAT WOULD JUST BE A SLAP IN THE FACE WITH THE AMOUNT OF MONEY THAT IS PUT INTO THESE CARS NOT ONLY THAT BUT THE HOURS IT TAKE TO KEEP ONE GOING IS UNREAL :blink: I PROB PUT AT LEAST 10 HOURS A WEEK :blink: AND THATS IF NOTHING GETS TORE UP (SOME CLASSES DONT EVEN UNLOAD THERE CARS FROM WEEK TO WEEK ..OR HAVE 2)))THEN U ADD THE COST OF TRAVEL :( AND IT GOES ON AND ON .. AND THEN THE AMOUNT OF TIME IT TAKES TO BUILD ONE FROM THE GROUND UP ....... I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF EVEN A RODEO CLOWN NOT GETTING PAID FOR PUTTING A SHOW ON :rolleyes: SOOO THATS JUST SOME OF MY INPUT AND YOUR MRIGHT MY CAPS BUTTON DOES NOT MOVE LMAO OOOOOO...... IF THEY PROVIDE THE CARS IM ALL IN .....

Its a good idea if you only want 7 cars.

Its amazing to me how many that say they need the $25 dollars to get back home or to eat on at the end of the night (Whataburger). I think really? $25 means that much? Why the hell are you racing if $25 effects your normal everyday life? I like paying the top 10 cars in a full 24 car field. But the top 10 should pay really well. Giving everyone an incentive or goal to shot for I like. Maybe not the beginner or low end budget classes but the mid to upper classes,I would vote for it. However I know I am the minority.

In all reality I think it would be better for tracks to show a payout even if it's only $25 dollars for tax reasons, I may be wrong but I'm sure that it helps. It probably also helps a racer on their taxes to show a payout. But you are right Mr Danielson, 25 bucks isn't anything.

Its amazing to me how many that say they need the $25 dollars to get back home or to eat on at the end of the night (Whataburger). I think really? $25 means that much? Why the hell are you racing if $25 effects your normal everyday life? I like paying the top 10 cars in a full 24 car field. But the top 10 should pay really well. Giving everyone an incentive or goal to shot for I like. Maybe not the beginner or low end budget classes but the mid to upper classes,I would vote for it. However I know I am the minority.

WITH ALL DUE RESPECT ... WHY THE HELL ARE YOU RACING .... HERE IS ONE GOOD REASON FOR LOVE OF THE SPORT ..AND YES THERE HAVE BEEN MANY TIMES I LOVED IT AND NEEDED THAT 25 DOLLARS .IT GOT ME BACK IN THE NEXT WEEK ... I HAVE SEEN ALOT OF DRIVERS SHOW UP .TO RACE KNOWING THEY START THE FEATURE .THEY GET THAT MONEY BACK ...YOU KNOW THOSE BACK MARKER CARS THAT SHOW AND MAKE A COUNT .WITH OUT THEM YOU MAY NOT RACE ..PLUS THEY ALSO BRING OUT FANS .TRACK MAKES MORE OFF OF THEM THROUGH THE FRONT GATE ....THAN OFF THE LEAD CARS ...I .WE DON'T RACE FOR THE MONEY PERSAY ....BUT IF WE HAVE A PROBLEM AND CAN START THE FEATURE RACE ..WE GO HOME WITH SOMETHING ...EVEN IF ITS AT WHATABURGER......

First off my opinion is my opinion. Racers will do next to anything to make it to the next race! Regardless if you get $25 or slap on the ass! $25 will not keep you at home nor send you into racing retirement. I am not here to tell anyone what they can afford nor what they cant. If the $25 is so important and is what is keeping drivers on the track and fans in the stands then guess what, ITS NOT WORKING! To get fans in the stands and drivers on the track it going to take alittle more creativity then simply giving last place $25. What if once a month the track doubled 1st - 10th place purse. Are you telling me you would stay home because last place money is Zero????? Thats not racing in my book!

Until you have a facility that can bring fans in by the thousands regularly instead of hundreds and use the fan money to pay for purses and expenses instead of depending on the racers back gate nothing is going to change that is significant. We have come used to having big races like $1000 buck shootout and simular type races. Those races are nice but honestly that is no where near a big race when you compare it to big races elsewhere nor is it a big payday for the track. I like I37 Raceway very much and enjoy racing there as much as possible. But to allow drivers in free you must have a packed house to support that. A packed house that would stress this facility out. The track can only support its normal races and a couple larger then normal races and thats fine for what it is. But the one thing it needs is a cash cow weekend like alot of tracks have. The big 3 and 4 day race events a few times a year will bring cars from out of state with entry fees and large car counts with very big paydays if promoted and run correctly. Those kind of paydays for the track could turn local racing around but without them it requires someone to finance unreal expectations. Well who the hell wants to do that and risk it? Very few! Do I want in free, hell yes so would ever racer but that revenue must be made somewhere else and the current fan base doesnt support it unless something changes.

Until you have a facility that can bring fans in by the thousands regularly instead of hundreds and use the fan money to pay for purses and expenses instead of depending on the racers back gate nothing is going to change that is significant. We have come used to having big races like $1000 buck shootout and simular type races. Those races are nice but honestly that is no where near a big race when you compare it to big races elsewhere nor is it a big payday for the track. I like I37 Raceway very much and enjoy racing there as much as possible. But to allow drivers in free you must have a packed house to support that. A packed house that would stress this facility out. The track can only support its normal races and a couple larger then normal races and thats fine for what it is. But the one thing it needs is a cash cow weekend like alot of tracks have. The big 3 and 4 day race events a few times a year will bring cars from out of state with entry fees and large car counts with very big paydays if promoted and run correctly. Those kind of paydays for the track could turn local racing around but without them it requires someone to finance unreal expectations. Well who the hell wants to do that and risk it? Very few! Do I want in free, hell yes so would ever racer but that revenue must be made somewhere else and the current fan base doesnt support it unless something changes.

I think this one kind of sums it all up IMHO.

I think most people missed my point of FREE ENTRY for the drivers.

I understand what you are asking....what you are saying is why charge an entree fee if you are going to get it back at the end of the night...but as said above you have to show money exchange for business purposes...and then if you do not charge the $25 dollar fee you would have to take away $25 on the winnings....its just a wash for the most part....but for the most part, any payout in racing is for the fun and a hobby to me, but when you get torn up the cash can help heal the wounds....but those that have thousands of dollars like most it becomes more than that.... its like a business also... so they would like to see more....and I would too....anyways interesting topic of discussion.....

the twenty five dont matter as much as the thought of the pit pass and car charge and not even get the car fee back lets see how many cars show up at a traveling series race with no return on entry fees,most any where we have gone you always get at least the car fee back. and i dont think that should be any different at a so called big show or a local track,i been in this game a long time and seen most everything there is to see at tracks but its been very strange to see some of the stuff i have seen the last few years,after reading all the replies i still dont the show should pay the show

hey the $25 bucks made many beer runs(back when it was b.y.o.b.} and whataburger. i have an addiction that no money can cure,still to this day i havent heard of rehab for it.if i have to pay to race ,so be it.if they wanna give me a refund at the end of the night for good behavior...Sweet....its all for fun...we all know it...we wouldnt be doin it if we all were not on the same addiction....you wanna play, you gonna pay....

(unless your sponsor has deep pockets) You are all lying to yourselves if you dont agree....JMO

Even on the big shows that pay thousands. The majority that dont qualify dont see a penny and that is after the pay large entry fees and pit passes for several days.

guess some places i just aint been there,iadmit times are different but heck when i started in 1970 pan am paid higher purses then all the tracks in texas does today.this is a sad fact

Even on the big shows that pay thousands. The majority that dont qualify dont see a penny and that is after the pay large entry fees and pit passes for several days.

guess some places i just aint been there,iadmit times are different but heck when i started in 1970 pan am paid higher purses then all the tracks in texas does today.this is a sad fact

YOUR RIGHT ABOUT THAT ..OUR PURSES WERE BETTER BACK IN THE 90.S AND BEFORE VERSES TODAY ..IN SOME CLASSES ....THE DOLLAR WENT FURTHER BACK THEN ..FAN COUNT WAS HIGHER AND TRACKS COULD AFFORD A LARGER PURSE ...WITH ALL THE OVER HEAD JUST TO OPEN THE GATES NOW .WITH LOW FAN COUNT ..WITH COST OF CARS IN GENERAL ..MAKES IT HARD TO INJOY RACEN THE WAY WE USE TO ..REMEMBER WHEN WE STARTED RACING BACK THEN ..ALL WE HAD WAS DRIVE IN MOVIE SHOWS ..THE BEACH WHERE I LIVE ...BEER JOINTS ....ABC..NBC..CBS.....RADIO

SO IT WAS A NO BRAINER THE MOST EXCITING THING GOING ON WAS RACING....NOW THERE IS A WHOLE SLUE OF THINGS TO DO ..AND RACE TRACKS HAVE TO FIGHT ALOT HARDER ,,SPEND MORE MONEY TRYING TO GET A DECENT FAN COUNT AND NOT RAZE GATE PRICES SO HIGH IT BACK FIRES ..THE COST OF CAR PARTS PLAYS IN EFFECT ALSO ..BUT SOME OF THAT COST IS THE DRIVERS AND TRACKS FAULT ..JUST LOOK AT SOME OF THE FANCY LOOKING MOTORS OUT THERE ..THAT COST ..FANCY BODY WRAPS ..THAT COST ...NOT PICKING ON ANYONE HERE ..BUT REALY ..DO WE NEED ALL THAT ..A NEW PERSON COMES ALONG AND SEE'S ALL THAT FANCY STUFF .AND THINKS ..WOW I CANT AFFORD THAT.....LOST DRIVER THERE ..I KNOW YEAH OR TIRED OF READING THIS BS ..BUT IT IS PART OF THE TRUTH ..SO NOW ILL BACK OUT ..

I think that we probably travel more per year then most from I37...But most shows are IMCA..And if you look at the purses for nearly all there big shows(STATING WITH ICEBREAKER) in Abileen,They all return non Qualfiers some cash back...It may be Pennies on the dollar, But it something....This is why a racer must shop around also...Frank t

I agree with most of these post. Unfortunatly I think the days of the purse coming from the front gate is gone for most tracks. There are too many other things going on to provide entertainment, that's why I think racing in Iowa and other places up North is so much bigger, there just is not that much too do(other than raise corn).Now that I have my computer and not on my phone I would like to comment on a few of the postings.

Double D wrote "hey the $25 bucks made many beer runs(back when it was b.y.o.b.} and whataburger",

if you didn't have to pay the $25 to get in wouldn't it be the same?

I also agree with Danielsen, A packed house would stress out the facilities but hopefully the track would put some of the money back into the place and the effect would be a snowball effect.

Someone else stated that the free entry would bring every driver in the state( i could not find it to quote, sorry), is that so bad? they would bring pit crews, family, buy burgers and beer and shirts and hot dogs and coke and....it goes on and on.

I'm not a fanatic say this is the way it should be and the tax reason does make since, it's winter time and we need something to bitch about right?

See everyone Saturday for the test and tune.

joe

Well its a great idea.. it would save the track Taxes at the Gate...

Example.. if the track was paying the 8.25% Sales tax rate at the gate..

If Drivers Got in Free & the Purses were lowered by the same $25 per spot it would save the track $3000 in County/State Taxes a year..

basiclly.. it would take 121 People thru the pit gate. or 325 people in the grandstands @ $10 just to pay that tax!

I have a couple of questions: What is the seating capacity? What is the largetst head count they have had? Why couldn't they get more fans to come? Is it something the track isn't, or maybe is, doing that keeps more from coming? What about all of the fans from old SAS, where are they? What about the possiblity of people actually just not knowing there is a track around?

Ok, I can play my own devils advocate here. Yes the track is kind of out of the way for a casual fan to come but if I know that then I'm sure people are trying to figure out how to make it worth while to come. A family of four is a huge weekly investment when you think about it. Up to $40 just to get in and after food and drinks we are up to about $60. Let's not forget that the drive from San Antonio, depending on where you live, is 45 minutes; that's 90 minutes travel time and half of that is after 11pm on a typical night. That's a lot to ask people to come spend their time and money.

So some ideas, none of which are probably new but hey if you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem right. Class sponsors, with that goes sponsor night at the races (employees and family members of sponsors are treated to a discounted entry and a free/discounted plate of food). Random zip code nights (pick a zip code of the area and offer discounted entry with proof). Pay by the car load (collect money for parking, $20 p/vehicle; this could free up some or more money for food and stuff). Ask driver's to help advertise for the track by putting logo on car or trailor (offer $5 off entry fee to driver/owner and something free to someone new that says they went to track because of said advertising). Pick up an IMCA Stock Car class (it could appeal to different drivers to come travel). Update website weekly with Reb's write-ups and pictures from same week (I know site is being worked on now so maybe add a section just for that).

Think completely outside of the box and the track's tight knit community!

Archived