Batteries going bad

JamesHigdon

i always use a marine starting/trolling battery from walmart like 70 bucks. mainly because they are designed to start a boat engine and also support long draws (trolling motor) or in my case electric fans, electric fuel pumps, msd boxes, gauges, ect without having a charge applied to them during the process (as i didn't run an alternator or the big motor on the boat is typically off when your trolling). though if you go that route id recommend a high torque mini starter as dual purpose marine batts dont have lots of CCA. puluss they got really cool wing nuts on them

I use a CAT battery in my race car. They hold up in heavy equipment abuse so a few ruts in the track ain't gonna hurt it.

i had a cat battery way back in 79.. strong ..what do they cost now ..

The last one I bought in Febuary of 2010 was $116. I used it for two years. Dont use an alternator and after the 2010 season it sat in the car for 3 months and I went and out and it started the car no problem. It comes with an 18 month replacement warranty and then they prorate it for another 12 months or so.

I HAVE TWO YELLOW TOPS, ONE IS PROBABLY 9 OR MORE YEARS AND I HAD IT IN MY 71 NOVA SS. I TOOK IT OUT BEFORE I SOLD IT AND USED IT IN MY DIRT CARS FOR AROUND 4 YEARS. THE ONE THAT IS IN MY DIRT CAR NOW IS AT LEAST 5 YEARS OLD AND WORKS GREAT. THIS BATTERY SAT IN MY GARAGE FOR OVER A YEAR WITHOUT BEING CHARGED. I HAVE A BRAND NEW CAR FOR NEXT SEASON AND JUST PUT IT IN THIS CAR ABOUT 2 MONTHS AGO AND IT STILL WORKS GREAT. I DID PUT A SLOW CHARGE ON IT BEFORE INSTALLATION WITH MY LITTLE COMPACT SHUMACHER CHARGER.

post-3-1324510728.jpg

I have heard of Issues with the Optima Red Top... I run one in the race car & Had one crap out last year.. but it was almost 2 years old.

It will hold a charge forever when fully charged. I took Alt off & started using a trickle charger during week & on Race Day.. trickle... Seems to work fine now..

I've had the same red top in my trucvk for over 10 years and I have one in my camero. I agree with HiTech, I use a 2 amp trickle charger and leave it on there when not racing. I swear by them batteries.

I have heard of Issues with the Optima Red Top... I run one in the race car & Had one crap out last year.. but it was almost 2 years old.

It will hold a charge forever when fully charged. I took Alt off & started using a trickle charger during week & on Race Day.. trickle... Seems to work fine now..

I've had the same red top in my trucvk for over 10 years and I have one in my camero. I agree with HiTech, I use a 2 amp trickle charger and leave it on there when not racing. I swear by them batteries.

So how can you attest to the recent (past two years) batteries? Those are the problem ones...

I agree - until two years ago I seldom heard of a problem. But now its as if they have just as many issues as their competition.

Archived