2012 IMCA rules are released

gen11

Wouldnt,, we have the same motor that was in car when Johnny bought it over two years ago...And a crate was about $3250 when i priced one last year, So by the time we were to buy the carb and headers, etc, its not a cheap deal either. You stated 2 to three times more...We are not close to that, and our program is a proven winner, so why would we change at this time???? Frank t

You run spreen racing engines correct? I bought a crate Jan 2011 I paid 3090 with everything other than waterpump. Are you telling me I can buy a spreen for that?? Was told 6800 dollars two years ago .I'm not knocking your engine program if I am wrong let me know. Our crates ran 4th and 13th at nationals. I ran 11th at thousand buck Shootout. I won one race because top three cars broke. How many times did johnny win 9 or 10. I run about mid pack with it . Tell you what we can swap engines and carbs if you want .Brian Rye

Wouldnt,, we have the same motor that was in car when Johnny bought it over two years ago...And a crate was about $3250 when i priced one last year, So by the time we were to buy the carb and headers, etc, its not a cheap deal either. You stated 2 to three times more...We are not close to that, and our program is a proven winner, so why would we change at this time???? Frank t

You run spreen racing engines correct? I bought a crate Jan 2011 I paid 3090 with everything other than waterpump. Are you telling me I can buy a spreen for that?? Was told 6800 dollars two years ago .I'm not knocking your engine program if I am wrong let me know. Our crates ran 4th and 13th at nationals. I ran 11th at thousand buck Shootout. I won one race because top three cars broke. How many times did johnny win 9 or 10. I run about mid pack with it . Tell you what we can swap engines and carbs if you want .Brian Rye

Brian, I am not knocking your program...You guys were what i based some of my thoughts on....And you know how old our motor is....When we freshened up mid season, we spent $2500 for everything....I believe a Spreen is around $6000...And i feel Spreen is THE BEST..Look at his record..This is why i want to stay on our path...But you do have the best knowledge of both worlds...Cost of carb, etc...Frank t

Crates kept up at the SPORT MOD NATIONALS, and won EASILY at Las Vegas when classes were mixed

Frank, crates may "keep up" on the dry slick, but they're dog meat on even a slightly tacky track.....and who just wants to "keep up?"

At Vegas Sobbing's crate had to work to get past Mueller in his regular motor(probably a Fletcher M/S) and those cars have more rear suspension travel plus weight jacks, and Ford 9" vs. 7.5" GM...So you're not really comparing apples to apples here....

if you pull the chip you are gonna float valves. 64- 6600...

the THR s.m. champ was a claimer, due to a protest on ignition box location on a crate.

Thanks for the link, Eric. I think we only made changes with the muffler (db noise requirement) and tires for THR, right? I know you helped get the SportMod started and can probably remember the changes better than I can right now.

From what I remember that is correct Deb.

i didn't have alot of time earlier to state somethings i wanted to say.

ALOT of money is being thrown at the 'claim' motors, money that i was not going to spend. the reliablity of our motors last season was horrible, 4 motors in 8 races. my grandfather did talk to spreen i believe the middle part of last year and it was gonna cost $6800. crate motor, soft touch , and carb we had around $4000 invested....and 1st and foremost i could rely on my engine and focus 100% on turning good laps.

we have 2 cars out of one shop. the #5 is a claimer, the #28 is a crate. we were very seldom more than a half a tenth off of each other.....and that claimer in the #5 has NOWHERE near $6800 in it. i thought for what we were doing on the asphalt the playing field was very level. i don't see the need for the change? and the dirt guys with crates were probably only productive on dry slick. now they are taking a pair of tweezers to a cannon fight.

-in short,,, i think it flat suX.

every lap, front and back stretch.most of the time one bang into turn 1 with and 2 to 3 into turn 3 at THR.

The dirt guys hit them pretty hard and often.....sometimes just past the flagstand depending on the track(tacky/dry)....

With the new additions to the claim motors, it may be more beneficial for longevity, but it puts the crates futher at a disadvantage....I wasn't aware that if the chip was removed it would hang the valves open, so even just upping the chip to 6800(or so) wouldn't help... ..I don't specifically know the chip rule for Northern Sportmods, but when 3 of them came to race in Abilene I don't recall ever hearing them hit the limiter, of course they also run a better rear suspension(2 or 3 link), and are allowed Ford 9" rear ends, which I would assume makes gear selection easier than than the GM 7.5"s....

Knowing that IMCA has been interested in getting the Southern Sportmods to go to a crate motor I would think the new rules kind of defeat that objective.....Maybe I'm missing something?

Archived