2012 IMCA rules are released

gen11

SSM class changes: no vacuum rule, any flat tappet cam, roller tip rockers, 500cfm IMCA carb, plastic nosepiece allowed. This brings IMCA cars closer to the limiteds from east Texas. Will the change in rules be a good thing and how will it affect the racing? Short of the torque link, SSM and Northern Sportmod are getting closer on rules as well. Will we see suspension changes in 2013?

Sportmod times already rival mod times on dirt.

One day rules will stay consistent and sanctioning bodies will leave well enough alone.

Well motor prices just went up. ;)

cam and lifter prices just went down,you just have alot more choices.you can buy a 70 dollar cam or a 170 dollar cam. not that i agree with all changes but i do agree with the carb rule,but people can/will still spend 700/800 bucks on 4412's. and yes the crates just got the chorizo

I see them taking out questionable engine rules. Now you can buy an over the counter camshaft and still make power instead of a custom grind cam. Roller tips should have been added years ago and nothing but added insurance. Plastic nose cone big deal maybe they will look better, Vacuum rule bla good engines builders can get around that all day long and have been, I think engines just got cheaper and will last longer. Not sure about the imca carb deal have to cheak that one out.

I dont have a ssm so jmo.... I watched the sportmod race from las vagas Friday and Saturday night and the northern sport mod won by about 6 car links on the 1/2 mile track. I think Imca should allow 2 links to run with ssm. There has to be over 100 cars laying around in the central and south Texas area.

I think the cam rule is good think by the way.

I dont have a ssm so jmo.... I watched the sportmod race from las vagas Friday and Saturday night and the northern sport mod won by about 6 car links on the 1/2 mile track. I think Imca should allow 2 links to run with ssm. There has to be over 100 cars laying around in the central and south Texas area.

I agree 100%, I hauled my old mod to the scrap yard and it would of made a great sm. I also agree that motor prices will go down but I think your gona see big money put into carbs now.

Joe

Those old outdated 2 link cars would be outdated in the sportmods also...people that run up front would just go out and buy new or newer 2 link cars just like the northern sportmod racers do now...so all it would end up doing is making most people go out and spend alot more money.

I watched the sportmod race from las vagas Friday and Saturday night and the northern sport mod won by about 6 car links on the 1/2 mile track

Jamie....What race were you watching Friday night?....Abilene Speedway's Matt Mueller won on that night....of course Sobbing had troubles....When Sobbing and a couple other Northern Sportmods came to the Icebreaker this year Sobbing was faster by far, but couldn't get a handle on the track and/or hit everything but the water truck and got black flagged.....The other two cars were older ones that easily got outrun by the southern guys....

Maybe the new motor rules will help close the gap between the two WITHOUT going to 2-link cars down here....but I still say the crate guys just got hosed!

Well motor prices just went up. ;)

Hows That?????,Could you explain why you feel That?????, I think it is the same or less....Frank t

I personaly dont have one. But I have a relative that does. He bought a car last winter for this class. Bought the spec motor several places offer. He doesnt have all the resourses several others have. So what will it cost him to have his motor rebuilt to be as competitive? Not in billy bobs garage either. I mean how much for a good job? Its not just throw in a $75 dollar camshaft and go. That will last about 3 laps before it grenades. Not sure what the old carb rule was but a "good" 4412 is a bit more than $150 bucks. Im just saying, you have thousands of cars that are currently IMCA legal. Now the rules are changed and the only way the mid and low budget teams can compete with the big money teams is to have better powerplants built. On the small little bull rings the horse power isnt as big of a factor but on 3/8 and up tracks, the guys on old hydraulic lifter motors will be swallowed up by cubic dollars. Yes motor guys know how to get around the vacuum rule, so. The guys (and gals) getting into the class recently know what the costs are. This is suppose to be an economical (which is an oxy-moron in racing) class. Why change? Change a few suspension components and its an A-mod.

Its a done deal now so this is all just academic. Its just my opinion but this is the very reason I do not like spec classes.

BTW, this is exactly what happened with crate classes. "Its a money saving alternative to spending thousands on built motors". So a super late model engine runs about 15 - 25 grand. The guys with deep pockets in pro-late can spend how much on a crate? Ive heard rumors of 15 - 20 grand to get the big power. Where was the saings again? The stock crates couldnt keep up so you had to go get it "reworked". Each time someone comes up with a cost saving idea for the racers, it ends up costing even more money. Might as well open up the rules and let them run whatever they want, it may actually be cheaper. jmo.

The stock crates couldnt keep up so you had to go get it "reworked".

Our stock crate has kept up pretty well.

Sorry Chase, I should of specified the 604 crate. For some unknown reason the trucks havent had the same delimas with the 602. Not sure why but Im assuming it may be because alot of big pocket racers are not in that particular class. Which makes it so much better for the rest of the guys racing on a budget.

Well lets be honest, The carbs(500) have been getting reworked by the racers for years, so there is really NO CHANGE there... so its a $0 added cost....But the crate carb cost how much?2 or three times more then that 500...When was the last time ANY ONE got there cam checked to see if it was SOLID or HYDRALIC,,So lots of racers are now Legal....Lifters,if you were legal and FAST, you probably already had the good lifters...Rockers,I wish they allowed FULL Roller Rockers, but this improvement they made will help, Many STOCK rockers broke, so its a possitive...Now on the crates,How many had there chips checked??Its already got as good a lower end, heads, carb and intake and ignition system,,..So how did they get SCREWED????, Frank t

Crates kept up at the SPORT MOD NATIONALS, and won EASILY at Las Vegas when classes were mixed....There were only a handfull that ran, but all looked TOP 4 at the races i went too...Didnt a crate win the championship at Thunder hill???I just dont understand the complaint...And a crate cant be CLAIMED,so thats another PLUS for the crate...Frank t

Wouldnt,, we have the same motor that was in car when Johnny bought it over two years ago...And a crate was about $3250 when i priced one last year, So by the time we were to buy the carb and headers, etc, its not a cheap deal either. You stated 2 to three times more...We are not close to that, and our program is a proven winner, so why would we change at this time???? Frank t

Thanks for the link, Eric. I think we only made changes with the muffler (db noise requirement) and tires for THR, right? I know you helped get the SportMod started and can probably remember the changes better than I can right now.

Archived