My dream lives on

Many of you know the story and how I arrived here in Goliad Texas. For those that don't a quick summary.

In May of 08 I found the Speedway for sale on eBay. I flew out to look at the place and immediately fell in love. I had been in the motorcycle repair business for 28 years in San Diego California. I owned the property below the shop, the shop, and a large home. I sold all three and made arrangements to purchase this Speedway immediately. This was no easy task as the banks were pulling the plug on any loan in this country. I sold the properties through the bank, carried paper on my shop and bought this place with George Schafer holding a first trust deed. Everything went well for most of the first year. I felt like I was on track in reopening the Speedway and enjoying good success. I had been racing dirt tracks for the better part of 18 years as well as owning a track on an Indian reservation in San Diego County.

Most of you know I broke my neck in a racing accident on the track. I did not want to race my own track but was convinced to do a promotion that included other cars racing me for bragging rights only. August 8, 2009 my life was turned upside down forever. The crash caused spinal cord damage that has left me a catastrophic quadriplegic. I am unable to move anything below my neck. Now this could not have happened in a better place as South Texas and its racers proved to me how selfless and caring you really are. There have been so many people that got involved to continue my dream I could not even begin to name all of you. Let's just say any other place in this world and I believe this from the bottom of my heart that I would've been in a lot more trouble. I love South Texas, I love its racers and the friends I have made. You have all stepped up to keep my dream alive and it is still alive and for that I thank you all.

It has become harder and harder to pay a mortgage to George that at the time seemed very small. Unfortunately the sale of my shop has not gone very well as the new owner ironically stopped paying me the same week I was hurt. The funds I was expecting to receive from that sale would have covered that large payment to George for more than the duration of the original note. When those funds stopped coming I sold personal items to maintain those payments to George. I could have continued to do so but would have exhausted all of my personal items and had no future for income.

In late July of 2011 the Stacy family and I entered into an agreement that would keep my dream alive. That agreement has come to a close as of today with the sale of this Speedway to that very generous family. If it was not for this family this Speedway would have closed in August of 2011. That is the last thing I ever want to see happen! Fortunately it did not happen and will not happen in the foreseeable future. I cannot thank all of you for your support the last three years and can only ask that you support the Stacy family and this Speedway for many years to come. I have made a great living in business and I must say whether it's because of the economy or just the nature of this business it is very very hard to make a living running a race track. I would like to ask all of you to support this place as it really needs to stand on its own 2 feet or it will not survive. I believe it will and can stand on its own 2 feet with your support.

My dream remains alive and I remain on the property as part of the deal and will continue to be the announcer as well as an advisor to the Stacy family to make our Speedway the very best it can be. I could not be more pleased with this deal and ask that you thank the Stacy family for saving this Speedway and my dream. I look forward to seeing you at our Speedway in the future.

Sincerely,

Jim

Well first of all I would like to thank you for giving me my dream as well. I grew up at SOS. Every saturday and i mean every saturday back then my family would go to church and then go eat at the famous DQ. Then we would be at the track till at least 2-3am....lol I always dreamed of racing instead of foot racing, which i still hold the title, and begged for a car but never got till I got the word that the track was reopening...i was now in a better finacial position to become a race car driver..So that weekend i bought a car and have enjoyed it ever since...Thank you Jim and now the Stacey family for making my dream come true...I pray for your health to get better and the success of SOS.

Daniel Waer

Jim,

You have had one tough stretch for a while now. You came in from California with both barbells blazing and were headed in the right direction until the wreck.

There is no telling why all this had to happen to you and I certainly have no answers, but I do know the One who does have the answers. One day we'll understand why, but in the meantime all we can do is carry on one day at a time, trusting the Lord until we see Him face to face.

Nick

Jim prior to meeting you I had a small beef with you. I had been in position for several years telling everyone I had won the last race that SOS had run. Tina was leasing the track and ran a special pure stock $1000 to win. I was able to win a 30 lap shootout against Casey Garvin from Houston and have a nice trophy to show for it. Then here you come reopening it, the only thing we could do is come back and win some more. We did through my little brother Robert. He won the first night the track was reopened and eventually won the points championship over Chris Shaffer. Our dad raced this track back in the 80's when we were in grade school and high school so this track has alot of great memories within our family. By you chasing your dream you did make alot of our own dreams come true and I want to thankyou. I learned in a very short time racing at your track that a track promoter can do things the right way and not have to be an ass while doing so. You showed respect and respect was returned. The racing family came together at your track like no other track I have seen. I witnessed individuals put their own lives on hold to keep things rolling so alot of others could continue playing. Lots of passion came from people at your racetrack. Your moment at SOS will stay with alot of people for a long long time. I have enjoyed my time chatting, msging. idea sharing with you and racing at your track. You did it your way, the right way and have left a blueprint for the Stacy's to follow! No doubt SOS will continue on into the future. Your friend and racer always!!!! Danielsen Motorsports

Jim,

You have been, you are now, and I am sure you will continue to be an inspiration to many about how to deal with adversity in life. You have especially been an inspiration to me personally. Prior to meeting you a few days after your arrival in the fall of 2008, I had only heard legendary stories about SOS. The day i met you working out there was my first time to see the place in person. On opening night in 2009, I was one of the fortunate ones to race and feel what many had told me about. Our family had an incredible time there with you throughout the 2009 season with Lauren getting to be the first ever female track champion in a class for the entire history of Shady Oaks, based on all information we could gather about the history of the track from those who were there before. I also enjoyed running there a few times in 2009 myself and had a great time. I have the DVDs of all of the races we ran and loved your announcing.

Now, we look forward to future visits. I also don't why you had to be thrown so many of lifes curve balls. Not only the accident, but the other challenges you faced along the way.

If there was ever a family for you to pass the torch to that has their heart in that place as much as you, it is definitely the Stacy family. It is obvious that they have their heart in everything they are doing and care tremendously about every aspect of what goes on there. We look forward to seeing you soon.

JIM I HAVE NOT MET YOU NORE HAVE HAD A CHANCE TO GO TO SOS ..I HAVE WATCHED AND READ ABOUT ALL YOUR TRIBUTES .I SEE THE LOVE THE PASSION YOU HAVE ...I SEE THE LOVE AND RESPECT YOUR RACERS AND FRIENDS HAVE FOR YOU ...........YOU COULD HAVE EASILY THROWN THE BOOKS DOWN AND WALKED AWAY ....

YOUR A BEACON OF LIGHT FOR THE SHIPS TO FOLLOW IN TROUBLED WATERS .................AND FOLLOW THEY WILL ...GOD BLESS YOU AND GOOD LUCK FOR THE STACY FAMILY .

Archived