How do you Choose where to Race?

abrungot

Like some of Aaron's posts where he invites input, this one could be interpreted to be an invitation to bash this or that track or racing organization. Guess what? We're not going there.

If you want to explain, in a positive way, the factors that you consider when thinking about where you plan to race, feel free to post. But I'll be watching this one closely.

Thanks.

Nick

I run with the DCRST, we as a club vote on what tracks we want to run at and how many times a year we would like to run at those tracks. Then our managers contact the track that we voted on and try to negotiate with them. Now for my team (son and I ) we try to run every race on the DCRST schedule no matter what track it is. But if we are short on money we start picking and choosing and then the tracks closest to us win out. Lucky for use those are our fav tracks anyway.

What are the driving factor's in where you want to race?

Dirt or Asphalt doesn't matter.. Race teams in general..

If you think about that question for a min., most of your answers will be negative to why they are not at others tracks and why they are at the one they race at. If you say you are racing at X track cause they don't do this or don't do that and so on, then its automatically bashing to the Y track.

I race at tracks where I can take my old San Antonio Sportsman car and run without changing a damn thing, other than tires for dirt. Raced at I-37, Shady Oaks, Texana, and headed to South Texas Speedway in December.

The dirt tracks seem to run a pretty quick show.

The purse is always a consideration.

To me its more of: Cost in the rules.

: Rules stay the same throughout the year

: The purse isn't $50

: Having Heat races and a feature to get your moneys worth

: Car counts and dates

: Rules are enforced on and off the track and handled to the rules

: Not having to get there at 11:00 am and race at 8:00 pm. (Heat)

The #1 question is wether or not the PURSE is guaranteed. Alot of tracks run a per car purse, that only penalizes the guys that do show up.

2nd is how fairly we are treated by said promotor. There are several tracks we will NOT visit until a traveling series comes in and officiates the races. Due to being treated unfairly by normal officials.

3rd is how much does it cost to race there - Travel, wear and tear on equipment, and so on. If we know we are going to wear out a couple of tires at place A, and will not at place B. and they pay the same $$$, Place B is probably going to be the choice.

Earl

I have a race car. Its an expensive HOBBY!!!! Its not a job. I know I will NOT make a profit. Therefore the money argument is stupid. For what I spend, and what I make, then I race for less than free. I go where I can have fun and enjoy good sportsmanship and fair racing. If a Texas track (dirt or asphalt) has that, then that is where I will race. Whether it is 10 miles or 200 miles away.

I have a race car. Its an expensive HOBBY!!!! Its not a job. I know I will NOT make a profit. Therefore the money argument is stupid. For what I spend, and what I make, then I race for less than free. I go where I can have fun and enjoy good sportsmanship and fair racing. If a Texas track (dirt or asphalt) has that, then that is where I will race. Whether it is 10 miles or 200 miles away.

cort thn bring ur car too 85 speedway n race with me or rpm speedway lol j/k just havin some fun

i've been VERY fortunate to be able to race ALOT of different vehicles at alot of different tracks, thanX largely inpart to my grandfather and his love for racing. i've never had to struggle over the decision as to where or even what to race....and like i said, i consider myself very fortunate.

pretty much we decide what we want to do and then set out to do....i still try to be financially cautious about making a (stupid) choice. which for us means that i will not run a class that requires me to buy a new set of tires every race to have a chance to win. or thinking that you can rely solely on sponsors to compete,,let alone 'a' race yet an entire season. if i can not afford to do it from my own wallet i will not even attempt it, even with sponsorship promises.

i love to race a different track every race, but we are in texas..and asphalt racing in texas really doesn't give you the traveling option. also priorities dictate traveling more the older i get it seems.

the only thing we have not done yet is naskarts and dirt...funny thing is i've never seen myself as a potatoe farmer. but it does fit all the guidlines i just stated in my decision making process.

I race where I'm having fun. I'm not going to spend the money needed for some classes that I want to run and don't have the time to get as much seat time needed to do well all the time. I like it when I walk through the gate coming and going and people treat me like they are happy I was there.

a.j. i said the only things i haven't done yet are naskarts and dirt......'yet'.

the people you meet are pretty much awesome in all realms of racing

I hope honesty is what the original poster is after, so here goes. Contrary to what some might think, we don't race on a big budget and sponsor dollars haven't been plentiful for us. So, the biggest factor for us has been the purse. If we can't fund a big part of our racing with purse money, we can't race at the level we do. That's just the reality of it. A good purse keeps us racing on a regular basis.

To me, purse matters a lot. With a decent purse you can run a smaller deficit if you do well. But, in a late model, make no mistake we ran a deficit. As of now my LM will be shelved since the purse had to be dropped during the season. So...

#1a type of facility (asphalt) and location

#1b Purse

#2 Track appreciates you being there. THR staff did well in that dept. with me which is why I showed a few times I couldn't afford to.

There are many more variables, but these top my list.

If I wake up pissed off Sundays then I may have chosen the wrong track or sport.

For the better part of my racing career almost everything has been financed out of my back pocket. So I have always had to consider costs. I race for fun and have been fortunate to have tracks close by (Longhorn was 12 miles from my home & THR 14.5). I was able to race @ San Antonio a few times before they closed and have raced Houston & Corpus. The expense of traveling has kept me close to home. Never have raced dirt but I am sure I would have if there was a close track.

What are the driving factor's in where you want to race?

Dirt or Asphalt doesn't matter.. Race teams in general..

Where to race is based on: Proximity to home/shop, car divisions, effective communication of rules, and integrity of the drivers and officials. This is a chosen hobby and a great way to spend thousands to make hundreds. As we spend time and effort on this pursuit, it is really not about the purse, it is about the ‘sum of the people’.

Even though a number of responses indicate the purse does not greatly influence where one races, I believe it is very influential.

Witness how many Mods or Trucks appear at the race when not only is the Winner’s share increased, so is – and probably a greater motivator - the pay down.

Its the comfort of not going home empty handed. Even though technically we are due to the fact that it is almost impossible to make a profit racing. There is proof when you compare the purse and car counts of THR and HMP. $400-$500 to start is more than some tracks pay to win.

Archived