There is no simulator for this!

abrungot

Funny thing, Aaron, a tool is only as good as the person using it. Flipr has been on front of a lot of people who would benefit from it and the principles of its basis, but the very vast majority of onlookers genuinely believe that accidents of this nature are freaks and just won't happen to them. The device has been on tracks, in fire station yards, in pits, in trade shows and parking lots, featured in a magazine, while 90-95% of all who see it recognize it's potential yet won't participate in its function, think it's a thing for the kids. I can't tell you how mad and sad I have been when, for example, a track fire crew is given an entire evening to work with it at absolutely no charge, and just stand around poking each other and making jokes.

That video is very vivid and heroic, and makes the crew look inadequate to say the least, but I would be willing to bet any money that the majority of these tracks would or could look just the same. Are there exceptions, of course. We see it in our daily lives all the time, folks get real confident about their abilities, get complacent, then the doodoo hits the fan and well, I guess we aren't as good as we thought..... Night after night across the land of racing, nothing tragic happens. Perfect. Ideal. I'm a fan of uneventful (tragedy-wise)racing, but the effect it has is wide-spread. Since stuff doesn't happen very often, we don't have to spend all that much time or money on it, right? We haven't had a fire here in 10 years, so we probably won't have one tonight mentality.

Thank you for sharing this video, I hadn't seen the interview part, and no I don't feel like you dissed me or anything like that, I know where your heart is.

Safety and racing could share one word: PREPARE.

Thank you RBSF for your insight and availability of such a great (if under utilized) tool. I agree with your despair.

in a roll over the confusion experienced by the driver needs to be recognized in the plan - both driver and track Knowing what the driver is going thru is important to stress train the crew, The importance of stress training was driven home for me in the Navy Damage Control school in philly. They trained us and we were ready right? then came the stress training where the hose teams enter a mock engine room and walk the catwalks over the bilge - just like a real ship. They roll the "ship" a bit to slosh the bilge water and float then ignite a diesel fuel based flammable. It goes from "I am ready" to "this is some serious crazy s@#$" in less than a second as the fuel ignites and you feel the heat. I panicked and thus contributed less to the effort than I could have - but did not feel bad in debrief as guys that already had some fleet time (and the subsequent at least weekly drills) did as well.

On the other hand - as a water lovin guy - I really dug Buttercup. It's a mock ship that is on a hinge so that as it sinks the ship lists. The crew enters, they seal the hatches, turn on the water (refrigerated to 40 degrees for reality simulation) and it starts pouring though broken pipes cracked bulkheads, leaking hatches etc. Goal stop it from hitting a pre set degree of list. The fun part is the cold water REALLY changes the ability to think - coupled with the fact that the crew includes women ship mates in wet shirts.... my team sank it the first time and had to repeat the whole week of training to retry. I still wonder how much of our failing was from shock and how much was from awe....

in both cases all the training in the world is not as helpful if none of the training employs the actual stresses as does your simulator.

This video is getting a LOT of air time - saw it last night on a Dallas news cast. Hopefully some eyes will open. Sadly not enough will.

*LIKE*

Flipr does a pretty good job with the disorientation aspect, as well as exit difficulties for the driver. I really enjoy it when a participant thinks it will stop on the lid (which I usually do), but all of a sudden it stops blocking the driver side. THAT is disorienting!!! I can't and won't add fire to it (sorry), but I have had a Hooters girl in it once, and ya, that was distracting fo sho! Getting her buckled in was, um, ah, well, you know....

Thanks for the positive comments!

Paul

Have you thought of using a Fog Machine to simulate smoke? Those things are for sale (cheap) everywhere now that its getting close to Halloween. Just a thought.

You don't need flames - lots of heat (like an industrial heater) will be just as stressful... speaking from experience - it was not the flames that shocked me - it was the sudden heat blast and the brain's natural aversion to it.

Having been one of the people that has tried Flipr I can tell you this......It's NOT a carnival ride!!!!!

I figured after all my ranting about safety, preparedness, etc. that I had better put my money where my mouth(or in this case typing finger was). It was a challenge to say the least and that was in a non-stressful surrounding. Tony Hernandez, who does the Young Guns Mini Stocks makes it mandatory that all his kids go through the simulator.....I think this is great and that ALL tracks/Series/Sanctioning bodies should do the same!

At times Paul, myself and a select few others become frustrated with the complacency exhibited by some drivers when it comes to their safety....I was even accused of trying to scare people out of racing......Which was far from factual.....Scare them....YES...but only in the sense of checking their own safety program and readiness..... it was always refreshing to have someone tell me that after reading my rants that they looked at things on their cars and made changes....I even got Shawn Paul(crazyhorse) to start using driving gloves, which I see is the most glaring deficency along with no fire extinguishers on trailers/in pits.

(Paul) you had Hooters girls and didn't tell me?.....Now I'm really disappointed....LOL

Archived