10-1-11 Race Summary

I did this with out any notes so if I got something mixed up, sorry.

Saturday night greeted the 42 drivers with cooler temperatures and a perfectly prepared track that was blistering fast. The heat races started with the Dwarfs, Pure Stocks/Farm Trucks, & Street Stocks running fairly uneventful but yet very competitive. Then here comes the 6 Late Models with 1 Super Stock, John Bonneau, starting at the back, may I say probably the best seat in the house for what was to come. Everything went well until the drop of the green flag. Jose Moran #33, Randy Kacir #36 & Jarrod Stepanski #82 tried to go through turn 1 3 wide with Jose on the inside, Randy in the middle & Jarrod on the outside. Next thing I saw was Randy’s right front pitch skyward over the left front of Jarrod. No major damage just some cosmetic. The race restarted but before a lap was completed there was another quick caution. 3rd time is a charm and it didn’t take Randy long to get out front and build a sizeable lead until Kelly Cagle #69 and Jarrod got together in turn 4 with Kelly getting air born in a way looked like he would roll but landed on all 4. All cars continued on and the race ended with no more cautions. Afterwards Jarrod said he could have reached out and touched Kelly’s oil pan. The first heat race of the Limited Mods was going along well until #48 Ken Bulsterbaum had a catastrophic failure of an engine while going down the front straightaway. Cleanup took awhile as there were shards of metal that had to be picked up. The 2nd Limited Mod race went off fairly well.

During intermission one of the young fans rolled the big dice off the flag stand and it came up an X, which means a full field inversion for all the classes. The first Feature of the night saw the Pure Stocks with a good battle between Tim Ressman #35x & Donald Schunka #13 with Tim taking the victory. I want to give Kevin Carroll in the #11 Dodge Ram a quick shout out for his first race. In the Farm Trucks, we saw Christi Cope #01 pick up another victory.

The Dwarfs came out with EZ Casey #2EZ leading and Geoffrey Youngblood #4 in hot pursuit. Geoffrey kept after EZ for several laps until he was finally able to take lead. He led for several laps until a caution came out with 6 laps to go. With the field bunched back up and Brad Wright #1 behind Geoffrey, Brad wasted no time taking the lead taking the lead when the green flag dropped and stretched his lead out to a couple of car lengths until a late caution came out. This gave Geoffrey one more shot at Brad but when the green flag dropped, Brad shot out for another feature victory.

Next came the Street Stocks, which found Garland Gloor #46 and David Bruns #26 together on the back stretch before completing a lap. Gordon had to go off the track with a flat right tire. David was able to continue with no hood or nose and the fan shroud ripped open so the fan wouldn’t hit. When race went back green we saw some pretty awesome racing with Alan Kunkel #68 out front until car trouble sidelined him. Racing continued with Shawn Kline #11 out front with Chris Shafer #77 wearing him out. Chris finally got around Shawn and held on to win with a barrowed engine.

The Late Models put on a good show with Randy pretty much pacing the field. About midway through the race there was a caution for Jose with a flat left tire. This allowed Jesse Harris #93 to restart on Randy’s bumper. With the restart we saw Jesse doing everything possible to get around Randy and they putting on a show. Just as it looked like Jesse had the position needed to make the pass going into turn 3 another caution flew. With Jesse out of tear offs and unable to see, he could never make another charge at Randy after the final restart

The final race of the night started with 12 Limited Mods. It didn’t take long for the race to claim its first victim with Vince Kacir #155 having electrical problems and only completing 1 lap before coming to rest in the hot chute. Race continued until a caution involving 3 cars in turns 3 & 4. After the restart Mickey Helms found himself setting the pace out front with Vince Loudin #6 and Chris Shafer # 68 in hot pursuit. All was going good until Vince experienced mechanically problems and came to a stop in turn 4 and bringing out the caution. When the race went back green the race was intense between Mickey and Chris with Mickey leading. With 2 laps to go Mickey’s motor let go as he crossed the start finish. Chris found himself in the lead when the race was restarted and that is how it ended.

Keith

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

YEAH GOOD OLE INVERT !!!!! IF IT MAKES IT INTRESTING FOR YALL OR THE FANS WHOEVER YALL NEED TO DOUBLE OR TRIPLE THE PURSE SO WE CAN FIX ALL THE TORE UP STUFF ON OUR CARS ! THERES A REASON WE RUN A HEAT AND I DONT THINK ITS TO SEE WHO CAN START IN THE BACK ? SORRY JMO GOOD LUCK ''

There are always at least two sides to the age-old "invert or no invert" discussion.

If we're going to have that discussion again here, please keep it civil and without bashing the track for whichever way they might go in regards to inverting.

Thanks.

Nick

YEAH GOOD OLE INVERT !!!!! IF IT MAKES IT INTRESTING FOR YALL OR THE FANS WHOEVER YALL NEED TO DOUBLE OR TRIPLE THE PURSE SO WE CAN FIX ALL THE TORE UP STUFF ON OUR CARS ! THERES A REASON WE RUN A HEAT AND I DONT THINK ITS TO SEE WHO CAN START IN THE BACK ? SORRY JMO GOOD LUCK ''

TRUE! TRUE! TRUE!

Something to think about instead to doing the invert...I dont know the reason of the invert process, but if its for the points purpose....if I can remember right didnt the points leader used to have to start in the back at SOS no matter how they finished in the heat...I thought that was a pretty cool deal... Not for the points leader...lol

Just a little more to converse about...but I can say i was glad to just be in the back that night...it was fun dodging people...but very sad to see all the nice cars torn up...I just think sometimes we as racers; we dont make the best decision trying to fit our cars where they dont fit...but thats racing...

Something to think about instead to doing the invert...I dont know the reason of the invert process, but if its for the points purpose....if I can remember right didnt the points leader used to have to start in the back at SOS no matter how they finished in the heat...I thought that was a pretty cool deal... Not for the points leader...lol

Just a little more to converse about...but I can say i was glad to just be in the back that night...it was fun dodging people...but very sad to see all the nice cars torn up...I just think sometimes we as racers; we dont make the best decision trying to fit our cars where they dont fit...but thats racing...

The invert deal was to give the fans a little better show than to have the cars all spread through out the field and not even running together

I agree 100% to put the high points to the back back It makes the racing little more fare to those that never win and puts more of a challenge on the leader to get through the traffic witch again it keeps the cars togeather and the croud on their toes

The invert deal was to give the fans a little better show than to have the cars all spread through out the field and not even running together

I agree 100% to put the high points to the back back It makes the racing little more fare to those that never win and puts more of a challenge on the leader to get through the traffic witch again it keeps the cars togeather and the croud on their toes

but then there's the cars you try to stay away from and get taken out by one cause you started in the back where you dont belong

The topic of the invert stirs emotion in all of us. We at SOS understand both sides of the argument. Alan nailed it on the head as to why the track is doing the invert. As SOS moves to get the drivers and fans back to the track there is a fine line to walk. We are doing our best to put a show on for the fans, while trying to give the drivers a top notch racing experience. I will continue monitoring this thread but if I don't make a comment don't think I'm not reading. I welcome all comments and suggestions because it takes all of us working together to make SOS a successful Race Track.

Thanks,

Keith Stacy

Race Director

Or the ones that are scared to drive there car on the bars. Then when they loose control and run up on the hood of ur car they keep it floored until they spin out on top of ur hood and break ur carb. I know that when u get in a new car u never know what to expect, but don't try and get to the front in any fashion u can. It gets expensive to replace parts other than the body.

but then there's the cars you try to stay away from and get taken out by one cause you started in the back where you dont belong

totaly understand what ur saying been there lost my points position big time but i have also seen it when you start in the front and are going around a lap car and get taken out too so i guess it can happen either way, just racing. I also saw a car start in the back this past sat. and work his way all the way to the front passing people like they were sitting ducks so why not make them work for there position instead of just giving it to them.

I don't understand the theory(and never have) that inverted fields CAUSE torn up cars.....DRIVERS cause torn up cars, whether it's slower drivers with little to no experience that try to over drive to keep up, or highly experienced drivers that don't have the patience to work their way past them safely......Same premise as guns....Guns don't kill people....PEOPLE kill people

When I first started racing in Indiana, we'd qualify, run heats, B-mains and the fastest qualifying car ALWAYS started 16th(or last) which seldom happened because fields were 25-40 cars in each class....The fast guys made their way up front the majority of the time with few incidents....

IMCA ALWAYS has an inverted number of cars based on car count....highest points average usually starts around 8th-12th....Guys with better cars will again usually find their way to the lead.....

What a discussion that has started after a nice race report...lol...just one last comment on behalf of the track is that I love to race at SOS, for one b/c it is a hudge track with plenty of room , I believe that you can fit 3-4 cars wide and drive safely plus it has exits where u dont destroy car in wall or fence...Then you have the amazing the facilities available to you at your dispense. But it all boils down to the racers....Ive have been told dont try to win the race on the first lap!!!

Yep, some drivers love 'em, some hate 'em. And some will always threaten to leave "and never come back" if they don't get their way one way or the other. That always puts the track in a bad position as you might imagine.

But folks, people come to the race track to see racing, not to see if the fast cars can run away with the race again. Getting around slower cars is what racing is all about and the fans need a show or they won't be back either! If there is no invert, then what you end up with in the grandstands are the relatives and close friends of the guys racing, kinda like a piano recital - the parents and grandparents come to support their little one, but everyone else stays home.

Racing is a family sport, that's true. But we need race fans who are there just because the racing is good if racing is to survive. If the show stinks because Driver X is the best and always starts up front and always wins, then people who are not related to Driver X stay home and do something else with their hard-earned money. They want to see Driver X start at the back and work his/her way skillfully to the front without punting everyone out of the way to get there.

Nick

I don't understand the theory(and never have) that inverted fields CAUSE torn up cars.....DRIVERS cause torn up cars, whether it's slower drivers with little to no experience that try to over drive to keep up, or highly experienced drivers that don't have the patience to work their way past them safely......Same premise as guns....Guns don't kill people....PEOPLE kill people

"well said" Its not the cars trying to get first in the first lap its the drivers If the driver is as good as he says he is than why is his car getting all beet up why cant he avoid the other car go under or over let off or hit the brakes or maybe even wait until the next clear chance I have even seen cars in the second position on a start, squeeze the middle catch the first place cars and then he gets sent into the wall all fast cars in front with the slower cars in back but they had to get first place in the first lap so its not always the slower cars causing the wrecks The fast cars cause them to and they even started in the front

In 2009 throughout the whole year I was in the points lead, and for every race I started in the back. And every points race I attended, with the exception of one, I won. It was a pain in the butt at times but gave me a challenge. It is true that it's not exciting to see the same car steal a half a track lead on everyone week after week. But as a racer, what fun is it to race by yourself? So from that aspect I understand an invert, to some extent. However, when the entire field is inverted it's like putting a cheetah in front of a freight train(or so it feels when your that little 'ole kitten). Both are very fast, but its not going to be too pretty unless the cheetah is smart enough to get off the rail road tracks.

Yes, it is also true that a front runner can be taken out by a lap car, but when the entire field is flipped it increases those chances exponentially.

Possibly instead of rolling a dice for invert maybe they could roll for a redraw(up to 4th place). That way it's only a few cars, who are closer in speed who are affected by the mix up and there's the possibility of everyone starting in the position they earned, or the pole sitter drawing a 2 and getting the preferred outside line. Also it holds suspense,as the fans get to see the drivers draw on the track and waiting to hear what they drew.

Shady Oaks is a great place to race, and the track does everything they can to provide a place for us to enjoy our hobby. So hats off to everyone who makes that happen! Thanks!

I think as discussed earlier this year, the black flag needs to be used to warn (first time) and remove from the race (second time) the drivers that can't keep from hitting someone. If they get mad and don't come back, so what. South Texas Speedway and Texana don't tolerate it and either should SOS. The biggest complaint from out of towners is the wreckage that goes on in the Limited Mod class. It seems that if your in front they try to wreck you to pass and if your in back they try to wreck you if you try and pass.

Chris Bowen

i just have to put my 2 cents in here.. the only race i have ever won was on an invert.. also with the luck ofa few good drivers bad fortune.. if not for that invert i would not have a trophy at all.. my car wasnt fast.. but it was consistant.. some cars arent that slow or that "terribleo f drivers" that run the back alot.. its more because your stuck "racing" in the back.. and the people that are back there alot know what im talking about.. i can tell you as a fan and a racer.. that i just love to show up and point out the winners every single race.. with no inverts its the same old thing everytime.. gets real boring real quick.. if 5 fast cars race against each other the fans wont enjoy it nearly as much as 5 fast cars and 15 slower cars.. whether your racing for first or racing for 10th its still racing point being the invert will make more cars an fans show in my opinion and it also shows who the true drivers are that can come from the back and still win.. seems to me some people get spoiled starting up front every single race and running away and only having one or two other great drivers to run against.. there for you dont have to try or worry about ever losing body panels.. the people that truely enjoy racing will continue to show up invert or no invert.. i also agree with the black flag comment.. its there for a reason.. i cannot count how many times i have been plowed and not a finger was lifted.. then again i was probably racing for 10th

Why not do it like USMTS do a re-draw for top 8-12 with the frisbees so nobody knows where they are starting till feature time. It gets the fans involved and that is what they want is to feel appreciated for spending their money to watch and cheer you on. Everybody draws signs frisbee throws it then gets in car simple as that, that way even if someone earned their right to start on pole they still have a chance if they draw #1 or you could have your 8-12th place car on front row. Just an idea!!

WHEN I STARTED RACING IN 2000 WE AVERAGED 28 CARS ON 1/4 MILE CC SPEEDWAY. HIGH POINT CARS STARTED IN THE BACK. WE BUILT STRONG CARS TO MAKE IT TO THE FINISH. THERE WERE LOTS OF CRASHES, SOMETIMES IT FAVORED THE GOOD DRIVERS NOT THE FAST CARS. JMO. I HAVE WON LOTS OF RACES, ALL WINS ARE GOOD BUT WINS FROM THE BACK TO THE FRONT ARE BETTER. THE FANS GET A BETTER SHOW WITH A INVERT, BUT SOME RACE DRIVERS NEED TO KNOW WHEN TO START SCRATCH INSTEAD OF POLE TO AVOID TEARING UP THEIR CAR AND OTHERS. FROM A FANS POINT OF VIEW WE SHOULD INVERT EVERY RACE INCLUDING NASCAR JMO

BOBBY JACK

Is this really a big deal? I mean unless its a special race I havent seen big car counts so that means we are talking between 8 - 14 ish cars right? And I am not just talking about SOS its that way everywhere. So if you had to start dead last your in the 4th, 5th, 6th or maybe 7th row worst case! Woow seems to me that isnt as big a deal as some are making it out to be. If the same couple cars are always winning, starting up front and not much passing going on how many fans do you think that will bring out! If your not already you might start thinking of the track or tracks you are racing at instead of personal reasons. Nobody wants a torn up car but last I checked my car was equipped with brakes that works most of the time and a steering wheel to help me pass those cars in front. With all the issues drivers and tracks a facing seems like this isnt even on the same list but thats just me. I could see it being a topic of discussion if the tracks were starting 24 cars every week.

Is this really a big deal? I mean unless its a special race I havent seen big car counts so that means we are talking between 8 - 14 ish cars right? And I am not just talking about SOS its that way everywhere. So if you had to start dead last your in the 4th, 5th, 6th or maybe 7th row worst case! Woow seems to me that isnt as big a deal as some are making it out to be. If the same couple cars are always winning, starting up front and not much passing going on how many fans do you think that will bring out! If your not already you might start thinking of the track or tracks you are racing at instead of personal reasons. Nobody wants a torn up car but last I checked my car was equipped with brakes that works most of the time and a steering wheel to help me pass those cars in front. With all the issues drivers and tracks a facing seems like this isnt even on the same list but thats just me. I could see it being a topic of discussion if the tracks were starting 24 cars every week.

way to put it If people start thinking about the track they race at, it might not be a bad idea instead of argueing about an invert and start trying to get more fans out on sat. nights. This way they will have a place to go race. my car has breaks and a steering wheel too How bout the other faster cars

Archived