One tire a week rule

NickHolt

how about a tire rule!!!!! if you pay they will come!!!!! do some promoting!!!!!

j.j.&s.,

I love it. People talk about cutting the cost of racing, but every time I bring up the "one-tire-a-week"rule, people can't wait to tell me why it won't work. It works. It saves money for the teams.

One of the reasons it works is because it gives the lower budget teams an equal shot at winning. If everyone is on the same rubber, the teams that get their handling down move to the front. The teams that were relying on new rubber every time they hit the track suddenly have handling problems.

One of the main reasons tracks don't go to the one-tire rule is because teams that can affort 8 tires a night lobby so hard against it. The teams that were buying their take-offs figure they better lobby against it too because they figure they are saving money buying take-offs.

I'd really like to implement at one tire rule at THR, but I have a feeling it's a losing proposition.

Nick Holt

Kinda like the folks in the trailer park complaining about the noise....

The squeakiest wheel gets oiled! lol

I agree Nick, one-tire-a-week helps us low budget teams, but I never was much of a politician!

Mel

the guys that run super streets & bommers get local tire dealers in cc to help with there tire bills.but the rights dont get good until the 2nd week.where can you get that kind of help with hoosiers i cant even get them to answer my emails.wheres all the good sponsers gone??? nick the one tire deal would work.

This would not work nick if these guys like to spend money on tires like they do then what they are going to do is every 2 weeks but 2 new tires on there car that is what most of them do every saturday night so you will not be doing any good anyways. What you are going to do is hurt is ME the low budget team (person) that looks forward to the high budget teams changing tires that way I can get there Pull offs. If you go to the one tire a week deal then your not doing the low budget teams any good there neither. That is my 3 bucks.

so if you have some pull offs I really good use some saturday night just donate or sell cheap to the Jay foundation. Donations are accepted 24x7 during racing season

If I remember correctly Jay if someone doesnt buy their one tire for the week they couldnt buy 2 the next week or so on. All that is needed is a good tracking system (to make sure the low budget team doesnt sell to other teams and the other team get 2,3 or 4 fresh tires... Nick who was the tire guy at SAS at the time you implemented that rule and how did it affect his business...

sas you are correct but if a driver buys one and never uses it then the next week buys another he will then have 2 new tires every two weeks and that is what we try for the ideal tire change what I hear is replace 2 every other week. Yea it might slow them down just a tenth or so but not enough for us POOR BOYS.

What is the one tire a week rule?

racin4fun,

Basically, the one-tire-a-week rule means that a team can only purchase one new tire any week they race that car the week before.

To start the season, a team can register up to six tires (of their choice - don't have to be new tires. Can be left over tires from the year before if they want) with the track.

The next week they can purchase one more if they so desire, but only if they raced the week before.

Each tire is marked with a special code in a special ink on both the inside and outside of the tire and recorded via a computer program that keeps track of who has what tires. I am working on an embedded chip program similar to the chips embedded in the tires of large fleets (trucks, taxis, etc.) That way all the track has to do is scan the tire and see who the tire belongs to and if it has been correctly registered with the track.

After a team has registered a tire, that tire can remain in that team's tire inventory. There is no swapping of tires between teams permitted.

If a tire is damaged during an on-track incident and therefore unusable, it can be replaced as long as there is a certain amount of tread depth remaining. Worn tires (below a certain tread depth) that get damaged cannot be replaced. Any tire that is purposefully damaged (ice-pick-in-the-pits-type damage) cannot be replaced.

There are other rules that cover more obscure situations that arise every now and then, but I think you get the idea.

Nick Holt

sas you are correct but if a driver buys one and never uses it then the next week buys another he will then have 2 new tires every two weeks and that is what we try for the ideal tire change what I hear is replace 2 every other week. Yea it might slow them down just a tenth or so but not enough for us POOR BOYS.

Jay,

Figuring out where and when to run your one new tire a week is called tire management. With the one-tire rule the smart teams learn to manage their tires to get the most out of them.

I'm not sure how much you pay for your take-offs, but if you bought one new tire a week, then you would be on the same quality rubber as the rich guys. Once the rubber is even for all teams, then that gives the better drivers and smarter suspension dudes a chance to run up front with the "rich" teams. One of the goals of the rule is to close the gap between the "haves" and the "have nots."

I suppose, though, that if you are getting free take offs one tire a week would increase your racing costs. At this point I don't know of many teams that are getting free rubber.

Nick Holt

Nick who was the tire guy at SAS at the time you implemented that rule and how did it affect his business...

The track ran the tire business when I implemented the rule at SAS. We actually sold the same amount of tires as before. What was happening was that the "rich teams" would buy 4 or 6 tires a night and sell them to the "poor teams" for about half price after they took them off. After that, almost everyone bought the tire they were entitled to purchase.

You can see that under the "buy all you want" rules, only the "rich teams" had the good rubber. But under the "one tire" rules, nobody had a tire advantage. Rich teams still had "the finest equipment money can buy," but a less well-heeled team now had at least a shot at winning whereas before it was practically impossible.

Nick Holt

Nick,

That would probably work out ok if the tires were the size they were marked. For Street Stocks and Hobby's the only way to get the setup on the car is to have a choice of sizes. Many nights we have bought a tire only to add it to the pile because it didn't work out to be the right size to make our stagger.

Limiting us to one a week would make it very difficult to get the car setup to race. I look at it as a safety issue for the drivers. If I run a wasted tire, or run with my stagger all screwed up, then the poor handling car is a menace to the other drivers. (Remember the 25 laps it took us to get through 5 green flag laps last week in street?)

Please keep that in mind when you think about adding another limitation to these limited classes. Weight placement and stagger is the only adjustment we have on these cars.

Nick how long did the tires last back when you ran the one tire a week rule?

Back when we ran Longhorn you could run several weeks if not months

on the recapped tires.The tires were a lot harder compound than what we run

now.What happens to the guy that wants to run weekly at THR and run TRSR

every now and then?Would that team be able to buy tires and not use the

tires for THR races?

Chuckman... In the THR SS class LF will last about 4 races, LR and RF will last 1 or 2 and RR about 3 baring excessive pushing or tire spin. Tires become marginal spares pretty quick in my opinion.

I don't think on the average we buy more than one a week. But many times we don't buy a tire for a couple of weeks and buy 2. If our crystal ball is on the blink we would be SOL and end up with a bunch of tires we don't need for fear of not having the right one at the right time.

IMHO this is not the way to attract more cars/more fans to the track. Just complicates being competitive.

Jay just curious how many guys in your class buys more than one new tire each week just wondering... Or are you buying the take offs of the classes above yours?

Believe it or not there is several guys in the hobby class that do buy tires every week. But I start in front of them with tires that are up to 2 years old and they have a hard time passing me. I dont think they are faster but the do handle abit better.

rsowell

I know all about the tire wear at THR I have raced there since it opened.

We had 400 laps on our tires the last TSRS race at THR and still ran in the

top five most of the race and finished sixth.In the LM class I don't like the

one tire a week rule,but I believe in the Hobby and SS classes it would work.

When we ran SS we averaged buying a tire about every two weeks and

consistently turned 16.6 to 16.9s and this was four years ago.One thing to

keep in mind also is the Hoosier tires are off from what they are marked

most often,which most of the time you can change air pressure and take care of.

By the way your tire wear is your car has to much cross.jmo

Just as predicted... Those who advocate buying all the tires you can afford will always drown out those who don't. As far as I'm concerned the one tire rule is a proven way to save racers money and even up the competition.

Nick Holt

Nick you are the man at THR so just do it if you think it is going to work. Since when does THR listen to us just do it and lets see what happens.. I am not saying that in a negative way even if it sounds like it. THR has strived this year on improvements and if you think that is going to make it better for the racers and the fans just make that a new rule. You can allways change it back.

Last question Nick...

You put it in place at SA, are they still doing it? I haven't heard anyone pipe up and say they played under these rules and it worked out just fine? Why does every track not do it, if it's 'the' way to go?

Please don't assume we are part of the "unlimited tire budget" camp, because we don't fall into that group.

Given a choice to buy a master cylindar this week and 2 tires next week only if I really need them is what I would like to preserve.

Thanks...

Archived