Not Texas, but a track opens for a change

FryarFan

Found this while snooping around.....a long way from Texas....but cool to hear someone really excited about opening a race track, as opposed to the list of ones closing. And sounds like they have been very patient with all the hurdles they say they've encountered. Can't imagine they get many race dates a year though. Racing in Craig, Colorado.......wonder if they will have some deer/elk issues on the back straight like Pocono has every so often

http://www.craigdailypress.com/news/2011/j...ns-1st-super-s/

First time trying to post a link, so hope it works....

Billy

Racing on the western slope...interesting

I covered two big 10K to win races at I-76 Speedway in Ft Morgan(hour east of Denver), and they actually run a 'Winter Series'.....brrrrrrr

I also visited a few other tracks in/around Denver even though they weren't racing, except Bandimere but I didn't stop. I know two of the tracks, one dirt, one road course right next door, were on the brink of being closed due to city expansion....

Racing on the western slope...interesting

I covered two big 10K to win races at I-76 Speedway in Ft Morgan(hour east of Denver), and they actually run a 'Winter Series'.....brrrrrrr

I also visited a few other tracks in/around Denver even though they weren't racing, except Bandimere but I didn't stop. I know two of the tracks, one dirt, one road course right next door, were on the brink of being closed due to city expansion....

Flew over to France few years ago to go skiing in the Alps. As always, jet lag screws me up. On the first wake up my head was really "buzzing" which I attributed to the air travel. But when I went out of the hotel, realized it got louder. Long story short, it turned out to be a nearby Grand Prix (a circuitous roadway) on ice with spiked tires and all. It was a curious type of racing which was based on time rather than laps. After one race was over, they would change directions and run other way! (To keep the track from digging out, I guess.) The racers would use the changing size "patches" of asphalt? for traction,pivot point,etc.

There were lots of different type vehicles (and classes)from BMW's, Porsche's. Saabs. etc. The beemers being the hardest hitters.

The class that caused the "buzzing" was a "herd" (must have been more than 35) of the old Renault of the type used in a James Bond movie (where it rolled down the side of a mountain.) Due to lack of traction, collisions caused wild spin outs, but not much damage as there were no walls or fences. The most damage was sustained by the plastic bodied Porsches, but was contained to cosmetics generally. It was fun to watch.

Tom

Archived