Circle Track magazine

RBSF

I subscribed to this publication because of what I kept seeing for articles on safety. With only a couple exceptions, I have been disappointed ever since in that department. This month has SAFETY FIRST on the cover, big and bold, and refers to an article on welding up a great frame containment for the fuel cell.

Now, some of you know me as a safety advocate, inventor, missionary, jerk, smartass, green-chili lovin' New Mexican. Some don't know me at all. Cool. I don't race, own a racecar (debatable), all I really care about is racers and thier families. So I get all excited to see this issue's big safety emphasis.........

Welding a cage around the fuel cell.

With all the fun I've had pushing this safety rope uphill, I'm thinking to myself, "Self, who in the HE!! is going to actually DO something like this?" Answer? Not a flippin' soul...... You will accept the chassis manufacturer's cage, and only adapt what is needed if you change fuel cells. Tell me I'm wrong, but I don't think this is an area you guys go! I like the design they have very much, but the reality is that it's just too much work and time to put in on something that really hasn't been a problem for you in the past. I know there are a LOT of things to look at on a race car to ensure it's integrity, and the ones that get overlooked are the ones that usually make you pull off the track. So, what will you do? Look at the stuff that allows you to have the potential to win? I would urge you, beg you, take a day or two off from making the car faster, and spend the time on making the car safer. We're in the middle of the season, your car has seen some action, check out the stuff under the skin and behind the motor. I would sure rather you were surprised in the shop, than hurt on the track.

Safety first. Make it more than a "catch phrase".

Paul

Not trying to be a smart a$$ here but why dont you write to CT and explain to them what you do and why you do it. They might like what your doing. I think what your doing is GREAT. Maybe you could write a few things for them to share with the rest of the readers. Just a thought.

You rock PAPA, and that HAD crossed my mind. Look for a neat article in Dirt Modified coming soon. I guess what holds me back is the fear of noteriety, I already have more irons in the fire than I can effectively deal with. If I could only figure out a way to do this full-time and still pay the bills....... : )

I.....DONT KNOW ABOULT SMART## .OR JERK ...BUT GREEN CHILI LOVEN NEW MEXICAN . HAS GOT ME ROLLING OVER .... . THANK YOU FOR THE LAUGH AND FOR CAREING ABOULT RACERS .CUZ SOME RACERS OR MOST ONE WAY OR ANOTHER NEED GUYS LIKE YOU ...

I believe the start of the racing season is when the non go-fast parts are most likely to be looked at, and then it's a fix-what's-broken period. I believe many would be surprised with an in-depth mid season car check. And green chili, now THERE is a reason to eat!!

And green chili, now THERE is a reason to eat!!

Unless you are like me - where any cooked pepper is much the same as ex-lax.

But then some folks think I am full of it so maybe it is still true in that case as well....

Archived