Could Meyer Speedway return?

dev47

meyer speedway at 13407 main st. houston, tx 77085 at the southeast corner of the intersection of hillcroft & main st. is still there. a recent google earth search clearly shows the perimeter of the track. i was in shock. i actually went to the site with my three little boys to see for my self. turns 1 and 2 banking is sort of still there, but 3 and 4 are flat. the infield paving is still in place today. it appears the paving from the track surface was removed to satisfy the harris county tax office to show that the heart and soul of the race track was gone and to change use to cow pasture. the property is valued at $2.5 million and the taxes are current. joseph f. meyer of bellaire, tx still owns it. approx (20) cows and a mad bull run the show now. it is really cool just to stand there and think of all the action that has happened there. i remember the banking to be a lot higher in the 80's then now. the houston area has had many tracks come and go. it is sad that the fourth largest city in america with lots of warm weather can not support a cool little track like meyer speedway. i guess it is hard to turn a profit when your track is only open 480 days a year. if a sharp guy like nick h. would start a religuis non-profit that paid a big percentage of the extra money to the racers and it was open 7 days a week for events, all types of racing, swap meets, car shows, spectaator races and the like. let fans invest and be part of all the action (like a church). maybe let commercal businesses do some of the built-up in trade for long term contracts. something that made sense money wise. grow it slow. no lights, no grandstands, and no buildings to start. have a master plan....a place for speed for the average joe. something to look forward to or work toward. there are a lot of hardcore racers in texas that just are not doing anything right now. since san antonio speedway closed and big"h" went away it has not been the same. sure, it will take 5-10 million dollars. that is nothing when you consider the actual number of fans there are. most fans in texas are just not that interested in what is going on today. the economy is bad in michigan, but they are still racing like crazy. racers should be treated like kings. everything is died without them.

Great ideas but it still does not adress the major problem dealing with fans.I think I have figgured out the real problem.Its our weather.I hear everybody complain about the heat and how most dont want to even go outside.However the other day I went to a PPV wrestling event hosted at my local greyhound track.The seating was comprable to any tracks grandstand,several sections including a no smoking section plus the entire wall was glass for viewing the track.All indoors and AIR CONDITIONED.My first thought was what a tremendous place to have stock car racing!!!It needed a little enlargement but you can clearly see the entire thing.Now that would bring in the spectators for a year round show.I mention this because racing cars was one consideration for the use of the dog track after the dog racing failed.I wonder if any other city has an unused dog track.Indoor seating will definately be the thing in the future at least for Texas.Again,JMO.

Great crowd pics, John. Its good to see that kind of crowd there. That last pic above reminds me of something funny. Back in the Day I'm remembering when nobody would be sitting there in the stands in the right/lower quadrant of the photo. When it was BIG H there, the sprint cars coming off turn 4, with their front wheels steered right, would be hosing the crowd down with big globs of mud. :lol:

Archived