Crazy looking Winged Dirt Car Video

TexasHighDef

Those of us who raced dirt oval RC cars saw bodies with those air dams 20 years ago, I still have two on a shelf in the garage. And it worked on those 1/10 scale cars.

Here is a pic of Randy Sweet in his pavement car from the 80's.. Anyone who RC oval raced a Custom Works Rocket body back in the day--this car was the model for that body.

post-21-1308095782.jpg

When I worked for Frankland one of my sales girls and her husband restored and old Bullitt mid-engine dirt late model. It was wild. You had to take off the side wings just to get it in the trailer. Oh by the way it was an all aluminum big block. You actually sat over the front axle with your feet in front of the axles. They said it only ran a hand full of races all of which it won before it was outlawed. It was deemed unsafe and an unfair advantage being mid-engine. I'll see if I can find any pics.

Those of us who raced dirt oval RC cars saw bodies with those air dams 20 years ago, I still have two on a shelf in the garage. And it worked on those 1/10 scale cars.

Here is a pic of Randy Sweet in his pavement car from the 80's.. Anyone who RC oval raced a Custom Works Rocket body back in the day--this car was the model for that body.

post-21-1308095782.jpg

I raced 1/10 scale Dirt Oval in the 80's and had a Custom Works body just like in your photo. I beleive they still make them today. Tony Stewart bought the company 10 years or so ago and as far as I know, they are still in business.

We would have 100 guy's show up every Saturday night to race at a track in Conroe TX. It was a scale 1/2 mile, hard packed, dirt oval. We called the wings, Side Dams and that was how you tuned the handling of the car. Moving it up 1/2 in. would give you more front bite and if the car was loose, you would move the Side Dam back to tighten it up. Little ajustments made a big difference. I am sure those wings work the same on the dirt late models. They wouldn't be adding that weight just for billboard space.

There also called side boards in the 80's on the east coast the dirt late models ran them the cars hooked up so hard we use to break cranks ,rear ends and just about everything else we use to call these cars wedge cars.The picture of randy sweet, he built the car just to break track records all over the midwest

I like seeing cars trying to break track records with cars that usually do not race there and do not have to abide by any rules. Big wide tires with lots of horsepower is too cool. Wasn't it Chet Fillips that did that at Highway 16 quite a few years back with a super modified?

Wasn't it Chet Phillips that did that at Highway 16 quite a few years back with a super modified?

Chip,

Back about 1981, they held an exhibition race with 6 supermodifieds, one of which was Chet's rear engine Hite car. The rest were Houston area Supers looking for a place to race, as Meyer has closed for good by then, and no other southern track was booking them.

I do not remember the specific finish, but earlier this year I saw the results in one of the SAS record books Steve Jung has. I will ask him Saturday to send me that run down, and I will post it here.

Incidentally, the all time late model record was 17.9 as held by Jimmy Finger, and I seem to remember the Supers being about a second quicker.

They did look good out there though. Got a great reception fropm the crowd.

There were also about 3 to 5 other super appearances at SAS, just one car for practice/shakedown laps during intermission.

If you look at the ISMA Racing website, you can find Paul White's name; he is scheduled to run one of those winged supers in the Northeast most/all of this season.

Jason, the mid engine car looks like one of Charlie Schwartz's car; he was a shoe back then on the level of Scott Bloomquist today. But Charlie was a lot nicer guy.

I the mid 80s you would see the lates with huge sideboards.Usually one on each side starting at the rear window.Royce Danner did have a full sideboard just like your vidio.I had a single on my outlaw mini.What they did was let you drive in wide open and hard turn the car.Without them you would spin out but with the sail pannels the car would actually straighten itself out.A wild feeling but really fast,you almost never lifted.Lawerence Micklchak mastered their use.I thought they looked cool too.But they did work.A few years ago the world record for dirt was set with a car that had 3 full sail pannels.Foll length on both sides plus another on the nose.Air is free.

Archived