THR 6/26

jamie37

When they got to the top of the hill, Nick caught them and finally - after they TOLD him of their OWN rules that they weould all be getting their refunds.......

I am not sure where you are getting your information, but I never told anyone that they would or would not be getting refunds.

Here's what happened from my perspective.

I was out on the track in my car trying to help dry the track. When I got word that the race was being called off, I pulled in and drove through the pits, where ROMCO was already holding their meeting by the tech pad, to the spectator parking lot.

As I walked back through the pits, several people asked me about refunds. Since I had not heard anything on the radio (I had left my headset up in the control tower), I told anyone who asked that I had no idea since that was not in my department.

I then walked slowly (I'm an old fart, you know) back up the hill to get my headset and dB sheets. At the top of the hill two or three people stopped me and showed me a set of rules which they asked me to read. I did so. I NEVER chased anyone down or anything of the sort. Then they asked me if they were going to get refunds. I said they needed to talk to Brian or Jim since that was not my department.

As I walked back down the hill towards the garage area, several people, including TSR's own "Sarge," asked me about refunds. In each and every instance I told people that I do not make those types of decisions and to check with either Brian or Jim.

I hate to burst your bubble about this, but those are the facts from my perspective. But, as usual, facts are a whole lot more boring than fiction.

Nick Holt

Thank you to everyone at Thunder Hill for the great hospitality that ya'll showed to me and my son. I truly do appreciate it.

The reason I asked Nick anything is because I figured if he couldn't give me the answer he would point me in the direction of a person that could. I would hope that if in a similar situation at one of the tracks, or series, I work for, he would have the same confidence in me.

The reason I even asked for anything is due to the fact that it will be impossible for me to use the rain check. If it wasn't for the rain at my normal Saturday night track (Texas Thunder in Killeen), I never would have been able to attend last night.

Again, if it was in anyway possible for me to use the rain check on the 10th, I would have never have asked for anything.

Nick correctly told me that any decision about rain checks was not something he could handle. He pointed me to those who could answer the question.

I talked with the owners of the track and we came to a fair compromise. I thank them for listening to me. They didn't even need to do that.

Again, I thank everyone at Thunder Hill Raceway for the great hospitality. I wish the night could have turned out better, but I don't regret going to the track last night. It would have been an awesome night of racing if only mother nature could have cooperated only a little bit.

Sorry if I caused you any grief Nick, that was not my intention. I just figured you would know who I could talk to. Thank you for your help.

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Hardest working race announcer in Texas! Have microphone, will travel.

Yes, Sarge, it was good to see you and the "other race track" fans at THR last night...we always appreciate everyone's support..

However, Sarge, please note: as I said on my show this morning..funny how the rains came during the race I asked YOU to co-announce with me..so, while I certainly hope we see you again, I just can't allow you to co-announce a race with me. anymore....LOL :lol::lol:

Guess I'll just have to call you "Rain Man"... ;)

j/k bro..

they where not going to give the thr ss or the dwarfs there "rain check"

they did give the thr ss theres but if they dont do it for the dwarfs that is PRETTY LOW OF THEM

whos idea was it to throw the green while it started raining during the hobbys that wreck could have been worse that was STUPID maybe they where trying to get the race over with

they where not going to give the thr ss or the dwarfs there "rain check"

they did give the thr ss theres but if they dont do it for the dwarfs that is PRETTY LOW OF THEM

whos idea was it to throw the green while it started raining during the hobbys that wreck could have been worse that was STUPID maybe they where trying to get the race over with

no 24 racefan,

One of the very best things about Texas Speed Zone is that everyone gets to post their opinions about racing in Texas, no matter how negative (just as long as you don't call people names like STUPID or LOW and follow the rest of the TSZ guidelines).

I'm sure Brian and Jim will straighten everything out with the Dwarf folks.

As for the green flag, once the lineup is correct and the track is clear, the Competiton Director gives the track back to the flagman who is right out there in the elements. When the flagman turns the back straight lights out that signals the drivers that there would be a green flag next time by. The lights were turned out while there were just a few drops sprinkling down and the flagman was committed to throw the green. I'm sure that if the flagman had known that the sky was about to open up he would have never turned out the lights. Our flagman is one of the best in the business as anyone who has ever raced at THR will tell you. I trust his judgement completely.

no 24 racefan, I am inviting you to work with one of our corner workers during the next race event and get a feel for what it's like to experience what it's like to work as an official. Please email me to make arrangements.

Thanks.

Nick Holt

Guest Brian L Callaway

Hello to all,

I have been reading this thread off and on for most of the day. I figured that it was time to say what really happened from the persons who actually made the call, and hopefully put this one to rest. As I know, no explanation will satisfy everyone, but as Nick says, “the truth is a lot more boring than fiction”, (GB77). Jim, Terry Barden (ROMCO Official), and myself all met on the track, and then in the office to look at the radar, and then to assess our options. We were all in agreement that if any cars had an incident that either put them in the infield, or they went there on their own, and needed emergency attention, (i.e.: fire, car flipped, needing medical attention), we did not feel that we would be able to respond in a timely manner. Although one of our main focuses is to put on a good show for our fans, it is equally important for us to maintain the safest environment we can for our drivers. The first official announcement that was made in the pits concerning rain checks verses a completed night of racing was wrong, and as soon as it was brought to my attention, it was corrected. Jim and I reviewed the rules, and the rules DO state that all heat races have to be completed to be considered a full night of racing. It was a mistake our part for not looking before we spoke, not a ploy to keep anyone’s money in an unprofessional way. We apologize for this mistake wholeheartedly. The correction was made soon after the original announcement, however, for any Street Stocks who were not there for the second announcement, let me know, (preferably by email), and I will have it researched and corrected.

Concerning the Dwarf Cars, (GB77), I was radioed that the Dwarf Official was waiting to see me. It took me a few minutes to get back to the garage, but Jim & I did meet with her, and per her decision, instead of issuing rain checks, it was considered a completed night of racing. We gave her the option of rescheduling this race, however, her decision was to accept the heat races as a complete event due to scheduling conflicts.

We definitely wish that the races could have been completed for all our fans and that good short track Texas racing would have seen by all. These were not just our goals, but also ROMCO’s and the Texas Dwarf Car Association’s as well. Jim, Tracie and I would like to personally thank Terry and Linda Barden, and everyone involved with both ROMCO and the Dwarfs. I hope this clarifies any issues related to Saturday night, (6-26-04), at THR.

Thanks,

Brian Callaway

Thanks Brian, If that doesn't get everyone straightened out then someone needs to take up fishing or something else. It is funny how some people complain about spending pit pass money and may not get it back when there is a rain out. Where is the track going to get the monies LOST because of the rain out? Drivers usually don't think of the thousands it takes to put on a show every week. I applaude you and the staff at THR and all involved. I know it is not always easy to be at the top of the hill. Keep up the good work!!

As we said earlier, when we return to THR - we will have a video running for the following reason:

“the truth is a lot more boring than fiction”

WE know what was said and what actually happened that night.....'nuff said.

As we said earlier, when we return to THR - we will have a video running for the following reason:

“the truth is a lot more boring than fiction”

WE know what was said and what actually happened that night.....'nuff said.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...it's a freakin' conspiracy!

How about just getting over it already.

cs

GB77,

Your problem sounds like a series problem not a track problem. It sounds like from what Brian said your offical made the call for no rain checks.

Na - look at the facts - the women chasin down ya'll officials were all wives of THR's SS drivers. And the call to give them the rainchecks was not made until the ladies streightened them out as said before. Now ya'll gonna say its a series problem again? C'mon - everyone knows what ya';ll are doin.... :ph34r:<_<:lol:

Sometimes when someone makes an idiotic post and acts like a jackoff I think "Why bother with this site?". It just gives some idiots a place to bitch, moan, and start trouble.

Jason,

Texas Speed Zone has given a very loud voice to people who otherwise are rarely heard within the Texas racing community. This is actually one of the best features of TSZ.

Yes, there are malcontents, trouble-makers and idiots to contend with here on Texas Speed Zone. And I should know because - as your faithful TSZ moderator - I am the one who usually has to edit, delete and otherwise baby-sit some of our members.

But at the same time I try to keep in mind that the vast majority of people who come here rely on us for current information that would otherwise be difficult to obtain and that the number of people who post here with good intentions far outnumber those who are up to no good.

Nick Holt

Archived