New rule added to street stocks?

Well one thing that has changed is the stock replacement rockers are not as tough as they use to be. It just allows more cars to keep running instead of losing a rocker or two in the middle of a race. There have been multiple drivers that have had the problem of breaking rocker arms. So it just helps to keep them running.

I understand that but most racecars or a good majority of race cars now days are limiteds and they run stock rockers. I have run stock rockers for years never not once have I had a failure and my engine builder tells me to replace them after a full season which I have yet to do. Sounds like guys are running too big of cams to me and exceeding or running to close to the limits of them or dont know how to properly adjust them per cam being used. Roller rockers are nice but they can break as well. Many rockers are built poorly these days and the last thing you want is needle bearings throughout your engine. Lastly everyone knows roller rockers just mean guys will add more lift, duration or both making the motor no more reliable then running stock rockers. I think more thought should be considered before changing rules because a couple guys have had problems with old stock or cheap replacements. Be careful what you ask for cause it wont stop at roller rockers and then you have no car count like the super stocks.

It would bring the i37 streetstock rules closer to sos also,as i37 allows roller rockers.

As far as rules go they are not close to each other and roller rockers doesnt get the two any closer. However for on the track performance the two classes are close due to the tire equalizer. The big dirt bosses allow for pretty much anyone to be fast even the lappers with less motor. The G60 tires make you have to use the shocks, springs, chassis and mainly your brain to hook them up! We have proven over the last two years the two classes are damn equal. Home track has always been the advantage not the rules for either tracks.

On a side note if the rules were closer between the classes I would not have paid $3500 plus to convert to I 37 rules! Keep that in mind as I had a front running car from Shady Oaks last year! But I will say the g60's are alot less expensive and can make them last a hell of alot longer. That is what Shady Oaks and Texana should be changing to help save tire expense over the next several years for the racers.

Ok the question for the rockers was asked before the season started and is just now being answered. And honestly what's it matter if they add the roller rockers or not. they don't add horsepower they have less friction for rotation. Think what you want y they were asked for. If its such a big deal to run up front y did you spend that much more to change tracks. You made that track your home track. And honestly i asked the question due to a few drivers who are local and are faithful to both tracks when allowed. But if one track allows it and the other don't then that takes car count away. So be it what you want but they want the cars then they will allow them too! So I asked this question for Jim to answer or to discuss. So if he wants to reply then ok.

Bottom line is I understand why you are asking Shady Oaks the question. You need both tracks on the same page, of course for that matter go ask corpus too. I just dont understand where you get off they dont make hpr. You sir are wrong about that and any engine builder will state it as such. The hpr isnt the issue either the issue is. You will have guys that can afford it and guys that cant afford. You dont build car counts by changing rules. So now I guess you can run stud girdles and then taller valve covers and thicker gaskets so the new toys will fit under. And by the way stud girdles make hrp too young jeteye! I chose I37 because one its closer to home and gas prices are too high, I37 has earned my business and I am glad to give it to them. Changing gears, tires, shocks etc etc costs. I paid for those changes so I could fit into their rules not ask them to change them. There isnt anything that I didnt accomplish at SOS so thats another reason to try something different. Good day!

Well ok then and you stated yourself y the question is being asked. Ask Edna y they changed it after the start of the season. I didn't twist their arm to change it. Anyways all I am asking for is an answer from jim if he is going to allow them or not. Thank you and have fun. See you at the shoot out!

this is a stock class never seen roller rockers out of factry along with 2.02 valves. it has only made the class more expensive. if you want all these changes move up. just my opinion. never thought i would say this Stephen you hit it right on the head

Racers are their own worst enemy just ask the super stock drivers you know the ones up in the stands watching. If that street stock class was back with gm rearends, exhaust manifolds, $50 claim on shocks you would bring back those that have been priced out of racing. I'll stop already but I sure hate to see that class get out of control cause I have seen it at every single track over the last 25 years. Funny part is 1000 of limiteds make them work every friday and saturday night. If they are breaking you need to look deeper into the real problem!

Racers are their own worst enemy just ask the super stock drivers you know the ones up in the stands watching. If that street stock class was back with gm rearends, exhaust manifolds, $50 claim on shocks you would bring back those that have been priced out of racing. I'll stop already but I sure hate to see that class get out of control cause I have seen it at every single track over the last 25 years. Funny part is 1000 of limiteds make them work every friday and saturday night. If they are breaking you need to look deeper into the real problem!

I'm not in the stands watching, I'm on the track racing at SOS with the Super Stocks. Seems like there is a great group of Super Stockers at I-37 to race with if I choose to do so. What in your opinion did we do to out price ourselves?

Three years ago Edna's super stock class was thriving and had the best races of any class bar none. Once a month witha couple extra races during summer. The next year the schedule was twice as many races even with the reopening of SOS.The rules changed for big carbs and big tires. Cars didnt handle as well as they did on 4412 cause of too much hpr as several drivers were novice to start with. More wrecks more tore up cars. Drivers like A J Dancer and then soon to follow the class champion #47 lost interest. Class was already too expensive for what the purse was and it steadily died a slow death. Now I am sure the idea to go to big carbs started with one driver and then a couple others jumped on board and convinced the track to do it. Much like most rule changes.

Three years ago Edna's super stock class was thriving and had the best races of any class bar none. Once a month witha couple extra races during summer. The next year the schedule was twice as many races even with the reopening of SOS.The rules changed for big carbs and big tires. Cars didnt handle as well as they did on 4412 cause of too much hpr as several drivers were novice to start with. More wrecks more tore up cars. Drivers like A J Dancer and then soon to follow the class champion #47 lost interest. Class was already too expensive for what the purse was and it steadily died a slow death. Now I am sure the idea to go to big carbs started with one driver and then a couple others jumped on board and convinced the track to do it. Much like most rule changes.

TRUE!!!

this is a stock class never seen roller rockers out of factry along with 2.02 valves. it has only made the class more expensive. if you want all these changes move up. just my opinion. never thought i would say this Stephen you hit it right on the head

This isnt a stock class no more that name is long gone from when we used to be called PURE STOCK class now all we ever do is throw money and more money week after week just to keep from getting lapped from the cars that just like to or have the money to spend and now roller rockers what next. All im saying is this class needs to watch out before it out prices the drivers and it is history and the class that is now called pure stock comes in and repeats everything that the street stock class did. Look at what has happened already to the street stock class we used to have a full field over 24 cars would come and now we barely have 11 we need more cars and to keep changing the rules and making them spend more money is not going to help.

You can get a set of roller tip rockers for $125 brand new from just about any speed dealer, Day Motorsports, Southwest Speed, Speedway Motors, its not that expensive. It is roller tip rockers they are allowing, not full blown roller rockers, You do not have to have new taller valve covers, gaskets and all that to run them. It's to help the longevity on the valve train. I think some of you have mis understood the rule and it's purpose. I talked to TRP and asked about it too. Several racer's asked about this, not just one.

You can get a set of roller tip rockers for $125 brand new from just about any speed dealer, Day Motorsports, Southwest Speed, Speedway Motors, its not that expensive. It is roller tip rockers they are allowing, not full blown roller rockers, You do not have to have new taller valve covers, gaskets and all that to run them. It's to help the longevity on the valve train. I think some of you have mis understood the rule and it's purpose. I talked to TRP and asked about it too. Several racer's asked about this, not just one.

woo hoo another couple hundred dollars that this class does not need to spend heck we might as well chang it from street stock to super stock before to long street stocks will have more in them then the supers my guess is some are not to far from it

Ken, the TRP track operator called me this afternoon. We will correct the website. My wife maintains the TRP website under contract and it is my fault for not properly relaying the wording to her. However, I'm not much more mechanically intelligent than her, but she's a lot better on the computer than me... :blink: ...

Anyway, it is roller tip OEM style rockers that should have been posted on the website. It is not full rollers. Sorry for not typing or understaning this correctly as I was trying to go off of verbal information relayed to us originally.

I will post this clarification for Ken on the TRP tab of LSSZ also. Sorry again.

Side note, we obviously have a car in the class, but we're not inclined to spend this money right now ourselves, as we've been pleased so far with the reliability of our Kleat Keeland / Westside Machine motor just as it is. ;)

Well like stated above I find it funny how limiteds all over the state of texas and surrounding states have been running stock type rocker arms with little issues for YEARS. Big cams, 1.6 ratio, too high of rpm, running them too long and not adusting them correctly are usually the reasons for that type of part failure with a hobby stock class. But now that the rocker arm is better you can now run even bigger cams, for alittle while until they break. But I guess that is when roller rockers will be instituted.

TRUE!!!

Yes, true, but if we all remember is was right before this time that the street stock and super stock classes were both dying at TRP. A decision was made to combine the two classes, going with the super stock rules. The only changes that street stock had to make was put on an aluminum manifold, mini clutch and wieght jacks. They already had beadlocks, spec tires and roller rockers, which to Danielsons point history may repeat itself if rules continue to be loosened. The 3310 carb rule came into effect the following year when a deal was being worked out with racers from 105 speedway, before SOS opened. There was also a ruled that made the use of the spec tire to carry a wieght penalty, otherwise dirtboss tires were to be ran. Texana adopted the Southern Late Model Stock rules at that time to allow more cars in which made a good car count before SOS opened. SOS mirrored these rules when they opened and has not changed anything except for remioving the weight penalty for using the spec tire. I may be mistaken about the roller rockers in street stock, I do remember a 450 lift rule but cannot remember if i got roller rockers before of after moving up to super stock. Anyway it wasn't that much of a differance to move up back then, there was one car that could win the street stock race and in the same night run in the front with the super stocks.

This isnt a stock class no more that name is long gone from when we used to be called PURE STOCK class now all we ever do is throw money and more money week after week just to keep from getting lapped from the cars that just like to or have the money to spend and now roller rockers what next. All im saying is this class needs to watch out before it out prices the drivers and it is history and the class that is now called pure stock comes in and repeats everything that the street stock class did. Look at what has happened already to the street stock class we used to have a full field over 24 cars would come and now we barely have 11 we need more cars and to keep changing the rules and making them spend more money is not going to help.

i must agree with alan on this.. when i started "bomber/pure stock" in 08 i made the last race of the season at trp.. i had a bone stock motor that had black death all over the piston skirts.. the rod bearings were seperating the wrist pins were too tight and turned blue from gaulding 76 cc heads from the 80s with leaky valves..the motor was an absolute p.o.s. i had no clue about anything and i ran 6th place my first race out of a i believe 13 car field.. and the leaders never got more than a straight away ahead of me .. this class has gotten WAY faster and way more expensive in couple years..

Here is an idea since people want to change the rules why not run no greater than 500 lift cam, must pull no less than 17 inches of vacume (then i bet you we dont need to be asking about some roller TIP rockers) run and i do mean just like the rules say a STOCK crank,and rods meaning the GM stamp must be on there no light weight thats bs thats not stock heads must be like they were before 1.94 1.60 72cc heads, and then lets see if we dont see 24 cars again and i bet they will all run togeather not like last race which there was nothing wrong with i totaly agree with and have the flag man call a caution so we can give the fans what they came to see a great show not like before when the first place cars are fixing to lap the third place car. I must have been mistaking when we were suposed to come out and have fun but what fun is it when you go to a race and u see certain cars there and know that there is no chance what so ever to even come close to winning Thats what i call fun WHAT ABOUT YALL

racing is cheap, winning is expensive :)

But seriously, what can they do now? We cant just go back and change everything how it use to be 3 or so years ago. This is the class that we now have. Everybody knows this class has evolved into something way different than the "bombers" they were when i started in 2008. And even then they really were not true bombers. All we can hope for is that sos, i-37, and trp can get together and agree on a set of rules for the pure stock/bomber class and keep it there. don't keep allowing this or that unless its for safety. keep it fun and keep it affordable. Tech properly and add a claimer rule on the motor for the top 5 threw tech. This will keep people from playing in the "grey area" like some of these farm truck guys are talking about. why dont yall have a claimer rule if all your racing for is a 6 pack and a hotdog? Anyways the pure stock class is your new stock, affordable, entry class now and lets make sure it stays that way. it would be nice to bulid one and take it to trp, sos, i-37 and even corpus if the rules were the same....

Archived