Talladega

wheelchair49

Here's the press release from NASCAR

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Wild, Record-Tying Finish At Talladega - Two NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Records Matched In Sunday’s Aaron’s 499

Daytona Beach, Florida (April 17, 2011) – Sunday’s Aaron’s 499 at Talladega Superspeedway tied two NASCAR Sprint Cup Series records – number of lead changes and closest margin of victory.

There were 88 lead changes at the start/finish line, tying an all-time NASCAR record set in last season’s April event at Talladega. The final lead change occurred on the last lap – eight of the last 12 Talladega races featured a last-lap lead change.

Jimmie Johnson edged Clint Bowyer by .002 seconds, which matches the closest margin of victory since the inception of electronic scoring in May 1993. That mark was originally set at Darlington Raceway on March 16, 2003, with Ricky Craven beating Kurt Busch.

Since 1993, every race at Talladega finishing under green – 29 in all – has had a MOV under .400 seconds.

Johnson, with his 54th-career victory, moved into a tie with NASCAR Hall of Fame inductee Lee Petty for ninth on the all-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series wins list.

Passing numbers – for the lead and otherwise – also were high.

There were 159 green flag passes for the lead all around the race track, with a total of 11,025 green flag passes throughout the field.

Sunday’s race capped off a record-breaking weekend at Talladega Superspeedway.

In Saturday’s NASCAR Nationwide Series race, there were 56 lead changes, an all-time record since the series’ inception in 1982.

I'll bet there's no near comparison with any of the statistics from TMS last weekend! I'd almost bet the green flag passes were less than 100. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating, but it was not nearly as exciting as today's race.

Ya Know with all the critisism that NASCAR has received over the last several years I have to say that with the exception of the Texas race, It's been a very good season! Great racing for the most part, and I'm glad to see it! I'd hate for "my sport" to just continue to slide. Hopefully things will turn back around for NASCAR!

Here's my opinion, if anyone cares:

I still thought the race on a whole sucked, the only part worth watching was the final 5-10 laps. Cars putting around the back to avoid trouble, and in at least one case didn't work JPM, and then Jeffy Jeffy getting interviewed after the race saying something to the nature of keeping a certain distance between you and the lead pack is harder than it looks. Gimmie a break, that's some BS. Clint has every right to be upset about losing to someone that just raced the last 5-10 laps. If that's the case, shorten the damn races to 20 laps!

I thought it was a great race Talledega has became my favorite race since they pooched up Bristol. And why do people who dont like nascar or always say it's a snoozefest keep turning it on. Just quit watching it. Maybe you guys just like to be haters.And that 's ok We all get that. I am now going over to soccer.com and bash that stupid foriegn kickball game that I dont like and never watch because it's not as good as real football dang it.

And why do people who dont like nascar or always say it's a snoozefest keep turning it on. Just quit watching it. Maybe you guys just like to be haters.And that 's ok We all get that.

If you are reffering to my post it's simple; I'm just HOPING that one day it will get back to what racing was all about! I may not be the biggest NASCAR fan around but I'm a fan of racing in general and NASCAR used to be something exciting.

They claim that NASCAR is the best-of-the-best in our sport but I believe you see and get better racing at a USMTS event.

FWIW: I saw a lot of drivers on Twitter talk about how unhappy they were about that race yesterday this morning. I also recall Kenseth say that what they were doing wasn't fun and didn't know if the fans liked it or not.

I think Jr went below the yellow line to pass Mark Martin.

Should that disqualify the tag team?

http://www.apimages.com/OneUp.aspx?st=det&...mediatype=Photo

Sure looks like both cars are below the yellow line. And doesnt look like they were forced there.

Im not sure Jr will ever be dq'ed in our lifetime. All that picture proves is that the NASCAR rulebook has grey areas not just for the teams, but officials.

Meh, I've seen

. I don't see how this kind of racing is any better than before; one group gets momentum for a lap or so, then gets overhauled by the next group that gets momentum. I'll take pack racing, 3 wide, 20 rows deep over this junk (though preferably losing the plates would be the optimal situation B) ). Seems you need more luck than before to win one of these races. It certainly hasn't put things back into the driver's hands.....at least not the lead driver. This also seems more dangerous than the old style RP racing. How many wrecks have been caused between Daytona and Talladega this year because of the lead car having to check up for slower traffic in front? The 500 and the Nationwide race Saturday both broke records for the number of cautions. Just wait until someone gets launched off of someone else's decklid cause they closed up on the slower car too fast. And NASCAR certainly isn't helping matters continuing to make the plates smaller; they were still hitting 200+ yesterday. Qual speeds were under 180 MPH, so imagine how slow a car by itself would be going during the race. I'm not a mind reader, but I would bet the drivers would prefer going 205-210 in the draft and 195 by themselves, vs 205 in the draft and 175 by themselves.

I think Jr went below the yellow line to pass Mark Martin.

Should that disqualify the tag team?

http://www.apimages.com/OneUp.aspx?st=det&...mediatype=Photo

Sure looks like both cars are below the yellow line. And doesnt look like they were forced there.

Im not sure Jr will ever be dq'ed in our lifetime. All that picture proves is that the NASCAR rulebook has grey areas not just for the teams, but officials.

unfortunately a still shot is worthless in determining the application of the rule.

In that still shot both cars are below the yellow - but the 48 is still behind the 5 in position. IF this shot is when they were on the way back above the yellow it is very conceivable that the 48 got back above the line before the pass.

Rule says if you advance position while below the yellow you get penalized. NASCAR did review it and as I saw - both cars (24 and 88) got back up just in time for the scoring monitor to show they had not advanced position yet.

THERE HAS TO BE A BETTER WAY. I ENJOYED THE FINISH BUT NOT THE 187 LAPS BEFORE IT. PUSHIN SOMEBODY ALL DAY ISN'T RACING.

BEFORE DAVE MARCUS RETIRED HE RECOMMENDED A SMALLER CUBIC INCH MOTOR AND TAKE THE PLATES OFF. I'M NOTSURE IF THAT WOULD WORK OR NOT.

I HOPE THEY DO SOMETHING BY THE FALL RACE OR I'LL BE GIVING UP MY TICKETS.

I've only been to a few NASCAR races:

Texas World Speedway (back while I was in college at a nearby university :D), Talladega (pre-COT), Phoenix, Homestead, and TMS.

And I enjoyed Phoenix the best of them all.

When we went to Dega, it was a year (2000 or 2001) they ran caution free. I believe Hamilton won the race (#55, Sqaure D sponsor. Funny I can remember that). And frankly, I thought it was somewhat boring.Pack racing for 500 miles.

It reminded me of going to the drag races: the pack would approach, we would stand up, we would holler and cheer as the pack would scream by, then we would sit back down, drink our tasty beverage, and wait for them to come by again.

I've only been to a few NASCAR races:

Texas World Speedway (back while I was in college at a nearby university :D), Talladega (pre-COT), Phoenix, Homestead, and TMS.

And I enjoyed Phoenix the best of them all.

When we went to Dega, it was the year they ran caution free. I believe Hamilton won the race (#55, Sqaure D sponsor. Funny I can remember that). And frankly, I thought it was somewhat boring.Pack racing for 500 miles.

It reminded me of going to the drag races: the pack would approach, we would stand up, we would holler and cheer as the pack would scream by, then we would sit back down, drink our tasty beverage, and wait for them to come by again.

ONE YEAR THEY RAN CAUTION FREE AND MARTIN MARTIN WON I THINK. THAT WAS THE SPRING OF 1997 OR 1998.

Archived