Remember When...

marc200mph

dont know what year the front is lol...but that rear end reminds of my younger years ....nice ..../back in jr high .in the 60.s we cut a bunch of those chevys and fords .olds..studabakers dodge ..and so forth .to pieces in shop class ..didnt like to ..but city donated them .with out titles .....lots of money scrapped ...............

When I first got into racing half the pack was 55-57 chevs buicks and pontiacs. The 'vertable was especially loved for the big X in the frame. Until the mid 70's there were way more big blocks running than small blocks. We had two tracks in our area - Cajon (3/8 asphalt) and Southbay (1/2 dirt). The big cars drove em like two dragstrips with an inconvenience between em.

During this time period - I was still in the stands,

years later when allowed in the pits - thats me - leaning against the fence post as they go three wide (pretty common as turns 3-4 were apexed to match a half mile track), Best car I worked on (second wrench one year crew chief two) - best appearing three years straight - steel body, hand brushed flames, 383 powerglide.

HiTech, what jr high was that and do you remember the teacher?

driscoll..........long time ago ...i think it was lovelace or .smith .heck it will come to me sometime i hope ..... i rememeber he had a 56 ..fast chevy.... the only class i made A.s in all year ..lol ..

Could it have been Foster Paslay? That's my dad and he did teach that class at Driscoll and he had a 56.
...... trying to remember if the 56 was blue or white.. or both .may have been green and white ...im haveing a hard time with the name ..i know that car had power .it was geared to burn rubber at sit still in all gears ....is he still alive .if so ..he and i along with the class .but mainly my project .built a i want to say sorta dune buggy ..but it was built out of so many different cars ....he had a 427 sitting on the floor .i wanted that motor .so we made a trade ..i had my hands on a red carvair ..we traded ...that car we built was crazy ...take to long to explain what we did to it ..but it pulled a wheely .with him driveing and me holding the battery in my lap ..lol / i almost went over the seat ....this was back in 67 or 68 ...anyway he took that car and changed the motor to a 6banger ..to give to his son ...dont know if that was you .or if it ever hit the beach ...

He just turned 78 last week and lives outside Uvalde. His 56 was blue and white. I drove it to high school sometimes in the mid 70's. I remember that corvair abomination! He did bring it home. I wasn't old enough to drive yet by a year or two. It never hit the beach if I can recall correctly. I don't know what happened to it. He (ya'll?) built a VW that looked like a Model A pick up, with out doors, out of fiberglassed wood. It was copper color. I drove that quit a bit. I believe he started teaching that class in 68 maybe 67. Said the teacher before him lasted 6 weeks. Driscoll Jr High was a tough place to go to school. Do you remember the plywood board he had on the wall that had the number of licks you would get for different infractions like leaving tools out, horse play, etc.?

He just turned 78 last week and lives outside Uvalde. His 56 was blue and white. I drove it to high school sometimes in the mid 70's. I remember that corvair abomination! He did bring it home. I wasn't old enough to drive yet by a year or two. It never hit the beach if I can recall correctly. I don't know what happened to it. He (ya'll?) built a VW that looked like a Model A pick up, with out doors, out of fiberglassed wood. It was copper color. I drove that quit a bit. I believe he started teaching that class in 68 maybe 67. Said the teacher before him lasted 6 weeks. Driscoll Jr High was a tough place to go to school. Do you remember the plywood board he had on the wall that had the number of licks you would get for different infractions like leaving tools out, horse play, etc.?

yes i do .........never got the wacks from him though.... small world ...man this brings back some memorys ....he probably wont remember this seeing he had so many boys in his class ..... ..but i put together a go cart .may have been for yah .......and some dumb butt .started it up .and took off down the street .. and figured out when he got to the end of the street ..it had no brakes ...lol...... you know what else is funny ..just talked aboult this last week with a customer who drives a 67 vw ....his starter was bad ..i told him when i was in middle school ..the shop teacher showed us how to start that motor useing a rope ....and yes driscoll was a tough school ... but no worst than most of em back then ..well atleast if you got into a fight ..you either had to fight 20 poeple or more ..or run ...lol ..no guns .just broken glass or switch blades then ..nothing bad ..lol.........

YOUR DAD HAD A POSITIVE INFLUENCE ON ME... I LEARNED ALOT FROM HIM ..AND HE LEARNED A COUPLE OF THINGS FROM ME .....LIKE I SAID ..THAT WAS THE ONLY CLASS I EVER MADE STRIEGHT A.s IN ......

Archived