RACEREIVERS

i37DirtTrackMama

After working with the Dwarf car officials that raced at I-37 last year I learned the benefits of the raceceivers but have 2 reservations: the additional cost to drivers which would amount to $125.00 and up and putting legal radios in cars. Keeping the races moving at a good pace is a concern for all race tracks to keep fans entertained, involved and returning on a weekly basis so any improvement is considered. We want to know what the racers of I-37 think about this possibility as this is something we would consider doing if we get positive feedback. We want to work with the racers and have this a management/racer decision. The final decision will be made by the track but want to hear what you think.

Eric Knudtson

From my personal experience I am totally in favor of it without a doubt. If used properly they can be a major asset to the track. I am not in favor of additional expense however this type of expense is different. If used correctly you can almost eliminate officials from being on the track which is an obvious big safety factor and also the overall show should be more efficient which will make everyone involved happier and again safer! Very small sacrifice to make for those that do not already have one!

Iam all for radios, spotters can keep your car from being torn up and relay any info to get u lined up quick. In don't know why tracks dislike the use of radios, but in most cases it makes for better racing, Just my 2 cents. Of course I already have radios.

Raceceivers aren't like radios. They are more like a scanner in the sense that is one-way communication. The track can communicate with the driver to let them know a number of things from line-ups to cautions.

Reb,

I'll give you that dry erase boards are cheaper without and argument but I have never seen where they are as effecient as properly used raceceivers IME.

The RaceCeiver system is great, I have used it over the years at different tracks and it works great. It does speed the show up, keep personal off the track, etc. In my opinion it is the best way to go.

Now heres something else you need to know Thunderhill has used the system for atleast 3 to 4 years now and it works great and you dont have to used the RaceCeiver, you can use a $50.00 scanner from Radio Shack and tune it to the Raceceiver channel and it works the same.

In the long run, it will help out the drivers and teams letting them know about cautions and track cituations. The savings in torn up race cars will no doubt be well worth the cost of the RaceCeiver/Scanner.

Rick Day

Former General Manager - San Antonio Speedway

Former Race Director - Thunderhill Raceway

I used one in Edna for the first time last year, they let me know I had a flat right away, so I'm all in favor for them. Anything that will keep the show going and fans more involved is always greeeat! Jmo. :D

And plus, I have to work on Sunday mornings!! :blink:

The TOMS car used the race receivers and seemed to work really well. But like anything you have to have a track official talk loud, clear and not talk like a auctioneer. I would be in favor of this race receiver as long as the receiver can only receive the transmissions from the track personnel and not from their pit crew also. Maybe this will eliminate using phones with bluetooth.

Maybe you can rent the receivers to the fans like Nascar!!!

I like them...but there not perfect...half the time we have used them...the track never spoke...so..it didnt help anyway.

That's not a lack of functionality on the part of the Raceceiver, but the Raceceiver operator.

The Raceceiver is not a panacea for what ails the track. It can provide no more of a resolution than a whiteboard, a bullhorn, or traffic guard with a whistle and an orange vest.

I would not expect, out of a track that takes a long time to reset the running order during a caution, to miraculously speed up the order reset if and when once Raceceivers are utilized. This calls for improvements in the process, not the instrument.

It all depends on how the instrument of choice is utilized.

And if properly utilized, you cannot only eliminate having to place a track official on the track to reset the order, you might be able to eliminate a lengthy caution.

For example, coming in over the Raceceive “Caution Caution, spun car coming out of 4.” And for those who don’t look farther than the end of their hood, they may avoid the spun car, possibly eliminating the need to dispatch the wrecker.

Also, it’s nice to hear “Halfway/crossed flags” or “Five Laps” left. Eliminates having to look up at the flag stand, but is great for when you’re sitting in staging and wondering how much longer until you roll out.

Chalk boards are limited in the information that can be given. It takes an entire pace lap to get back to the board. If you have three sets of cars out of line that is a minimum of three laps (if they all pay attention the first time :lol: ). Lots of information can be given on the radio in one lap. Every pace lap run drags the show out and keeps some fan from returning.

dont know if it applies to all classes but im for it so is my dad. getting the show done in a timely manner is always a plus. i gotta admitt before racing as a spectator it was always a "idk" "it might get late" typa thing for being the reason not heading to the track. i want to see more spectators and heck even family friends to head to 1-37 to see some great exciting racing. jmo -emmett and ramon sevilla

Just use scanners, that is what TPS has done for the past 7-8 years.

you beat me to it ...just depends on how much talking goes on ......they help speed up the show .help with line up and letting you know where the problem is on the track . letting everyone know when to line up ....its a good system .......but can get you wrecked if used to tell you to move over sometimes ..but the positive is a good over the bad ......the only thing ...cost ..maybe cheap for some .but costly to others ....

Archived