passing the torch

jwmbishop

this weekend the west coast has the Toyota Showdown. Although only since 03 it took the place of other open comp events as speedways opened, closed and had other issues. In the past few years I was quite happy seeing folks I raced with and against making this show. Last years event had 4 drivers, 12 crew chiefs and 15 sponsors that I knew personally (worked with or raced against in the past).

sadly this years show - the only folks whose names I recognise are kids or grandkids of past racing friends.

Torn between feeling old and obsolete and proud to know generations have followed these dear friends I made!

Looking back - the best advice I can give is cherish your entire racing family - even and especially the folks who present you with challenges - these are after all what makes us all grow stronger in competitive spirit and knowledge!

Someday - just like I am doing now - you WILL miss that guy you so soundly cussed last week for the issue in the heat of the race!

so true...i miss seeing some of the guys i had problems with while i was driveing full time ....its funny how you would not spend one minute getting to know someone becuz they beat you or run into you and so on ..only to find later on they are fine poeple ..and you think back ..man all those nights of hateing that son of a buck ..as he hated me ...what waste ........

Archived