Long-time Houston area racer, F.L. Harris, passes

NickHolt

I have received word that that F.L. Harris, who raced and built stock cars for many years in the Houston, Texas, area passed away yesterday afternoon, December 8, 2010.

F.L. Harris is the father of current drivers Del Harris and Janette Harris Huff.

Mr. Harris is mentioned many times in the history section of Lone Star Speedzone.

Here are the funeral arrangements from Janette Huff:

Waller Thornton Funeral Home

203 San Jacinto

Trinity, Texas 75862

936- 594-3571

Friday 12/10/2010: Visitation 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM , Trinity, Texas

Saturday 12/11/2010 Chapel Service 11:00 AM, Trinity, Texas

Saturday Graveside 2:00 PM at Klein Memorial Park FM 249 Tomball, Texas

In lieu of flowers please make donations to: NATF in Honor of Kenny Woychesin

Click here: http://www.ntafund.org/find-a-patient/prof...E730E523-AA2F-9

Nick

Never met the man but if he was anything like del and Janette, he had to be one fine man. Sorry to hear the loss, my prayers go out to the family............The Earnhardts

Well said, Charles. These folks are from an awesome family. My thoughts and prayers are with Janette, Del and the the rest of the Harris family during this very difficult time.

A few pics from Janette Huff

post-3-1291936273.jpg

F.L. Harris racing at Navasota in an early Modified

post-3-1291936316.jpg

F. L. Harris on the far right of the #29 Bronco Class stock car at Meyer Speedway in 1966. Son Ricky Harris holding the helmet

post-3-1291936691.jpg

Racing the Bronco at Meyer Speedway

post-3-1291937048.jpg

F.L. Harris, 12/15/1925 - 12/08/2010

thanks to all you great people for you concern, just a breif statement of F. L. HARRIS, better know from the old harris transmissions on parker rd. off of n. shepherd dr. in houston, dad started building transmissions and rear ends back in the early 50's, he opened his shop on parker rd. ( formerly rosie st. ) in mid 1950's. he raced at playland park in the late 50's and after it closed he moved on with most everyone else to meyer speedway, he ran the number 29 bronco when mom was not mad at him, if she was mad he would let BILLY GRISWALD, RICHARD JEFFCOAT, or CHRIS DUETO drive his car. saturday night at the races was the only thing we liked outside of fishing or hunting. dad built up a relationship with everyone he did business with, he built transmissions and figured ratio's for all the other racers, some of his best friends were, RONNIE CHUMLEY, BILLY and JIMMY GRISWALD, TONY BARSALONA, TONY MADINA, BILL WHITE, NORMAN PIERCE, BUDDY RACKLEY, M.J. BURTON, JACKIE WOOSLEY, BILLY PEARON, BILLY WADE, BLACKIE LAFENGER, CHARLES TUTTLE, CHARLIE RITTER, BILL BLUMRICK, GEORGE NASH, CHARLES RAY AND ALL THE SHEILDS FAMILY, WILL GOODROW, PAPPY QUINTON STEINMAN, WAYNE BROWN FROM NICKENS AND BROWN, WAYNE BROWN FROM HOT ROD HILL, BOBBY BUFFINGTON, ROY CODY, POP DAVIS, CLAYTON DAVIS, NOLEN WREN, MARVIN OTTMER, BENNY COATS, DANNY WILSON, DOYLE WILBANKS, ELTON AND ALTON PORTER, LYNN COX, JAMES STARKEY, RED SMITH, HOWARD WILLIS, DAVID MILLER, KENT LEWIS, PHIL CRONIN, BUDDY AND BOB WARREN. i know that i have missed so many of you, dad enjoyed each and every one of you, competition or not, he knew evenually, he would have to build a tranny for you, he might have been slow at times, but he alway's tried to have your tranny ready before race day, after raising 13 kiddo's and working night after night to get things ready for the next day ( everyone knew that dad was not going to be up before 10:00am at the best ) he would work until 2 / 3 o'clock in the morning every night, how he got all us kids, i'll never know, but i would like to thank GOD for the parents that we were blessed with, i personally want to thank every one of you for being a very important part of my dads life, he has talked about all of you at time to time, great memories from you all. you all have watched me and my family grow up to where we are today, i love each and every one of you and pray that GOD blesses you all with the love that he has blessed us with. i would also like too thank bill naquin and all that had a part in dads racing years, they made my life worth living, thank you all for your prayers and farewells, del harris

Del and Family,

Please accept our condolences. I just saw the post regarding FL's passing. He was one of the original owner/drivers in the "Wild & Woolly Bronco Stock Cars" in the early 60s at Meyer Spdwy/Houston.

Sincerely,

Larry Trotter

Archived