A EARLY Christmas gift from one driver to all

ou81too

NO--body answered this question I HOPE the reason is that its to simple . Your knowlage comes from THE TEACHERS that ED-U-K8-ED you. Please allow me to ED-U-K8 you,!!!!! WHILE operating a front wheel drive you give it gas to PULL you across to the next lane.^^^^^WHILE operating a rear wheel drive to change lanes you let off the gas and when the weight transfurs steer across I hope this CHRISTMAS GIFT will ED-U

While driving (around) SAN ANTONIO Texas in your P.O.V. When you change lanes WHAT is the only thing that the driver does different between front wheel drive and rear wheel . PLEASE ANSWER THIS POST ...... I will post the correct answer December 1 2010

Surely we can find something more interesting to talk about......perhaps llama polo or moto ball! jmo

I don't want to sound ungrateful for your Christmas present, but I really don't think you've done your homework here.

Front-wheel drive cars tend to torque steer when under acceleration. Adding driver steering input only compounds the problem unless correcting for the torque steer.

And why on earth would anyone want to get off the gas when changing lanes with a rear-wheel drive car? Any weight transfer from the rear to the front simply loads the front springs which would tend to add understeer to the chassis. And if the car is designed with anti-dive, decelerating tends to bind the front suspension to add even more wheel rate to the chassis at the front.

Maintaining a steady speed when making normal lane changes is by far the safest bet. Slowing or accelerating unpredictably when around other traffic is likely to cause more problems for those around you than any hypothetical advantage (which, frankly, I do not see) that you feel is associated with your two scenarios.

Nick

I understand what the author is trying to say having driven both types of cars on an oval track.The senario is strange considering San Antonio rarely freezes.I believe a better senario would be -when entering a corner at max speed and the rear breaks loose whats the difference needed in driving approaches to maintain control? The answer is the same and thats what makes racing a front wheel drive car a challange.First you drive deep into the turn then heavy late braking to load the nose with downforce.The moment the rear begins to brake traction you get hard on the gas.We learned all our life to lift when we loose the rear or drive off the rr under a controlled power slide like on dirt.Its takes moxey to nail the gas when the rear is comming around but thats what you want on dirt.

Intresting.

maybe if you TRY it your driving will improve ,from good to great an you will live a long life

Sorry but I think if your able to read this and you have a few years of driving under your belt, your doing a pretty dang good job as it is. <_< JMO

NO--body answered this question I HOPE the reason is that its to simple . Your knowlage comes from THE TEACHERS that ED-U-K8-ED you. Please allow me to ED-U-K8 you,!!!!! WHILE operating a front wheel drive you give it gas to PULL you across to the next lane.^^^^^WHILE operating a rear wheel drive to change lanes you let off the gas and when the weight transfurs steer across I hope this CHRISTMAS GIFT will ED-U

Actually I just steer and make NO adjustment to my Adaptive Cruise Control setting (which is precise to 1MPH). I agree with Nick on this - and I have owned and driven ONLY front wheelers (as my main daily driver) ever since 84 when I got a 72 Toronado and built her up to over 500 ponies. They are just so much easier and predictable to control in and out (more throttle equals more push - consitantly with no "push loose") even though rears ARE quicker off a corner (where more throttle equals more loose and helps steer out). And with todays multi channel traction control they are awesome stable on ice. The only downside in my opinion is the steer when hard on the throttle and lurch at shifting - but once you know the car and don't over correct it's no problem (my mom just got one of them Caddy SXR and it has virtually NO steer transferred to the steering wheel - the adaptive power steering absorbs it some how). One of my pet peeves (I have grown a whole managerie of peeves over the years so they are hardly pets anymore but...) is the IDIOT that is on and off the gas on the freeway. I think ou81 is eating peyote or 'shrooms!

This reminds me of something funny though. When we drove to Fla for the Firecracker 400 we noted that NO ONE with FLA plates uses turn signals (whenever we did see a blinking light it was on a car with other state plates). It only took a few miles to figure out why. In FLA when you signal that you want in the lane - the other driver will intentionally speed up as in "not in front of ME you don't".

So I started using mine to brag rather than warn - I would change lanes THEN signal - the out of staters caught on and were laughing and waving while the floridians were looking at me with puzzled looks. Maybe their signalling system uses speed adjustment as the indicator rather than a light and ou81 is REALLY from FLA....

but MERRY CHRISTMAS anyway - where do we return the unwanted presents?

Archived