San Antonio 1985

Racer02

Does anyone have any information, pics, or video of this event. Nick was probably there. They had well over 100 cars show up from many states and they ran qualifying heat races throughout the week to narrow the field down to 40 cars to start the main event. This was a very memorable event for me when I was a kid.

that may have been the first or second one, i think in 85 Gary Chappel won that event. That was a huge deal back then... need to look around I know I have 1986 program and then when SA started doing the Texas Super Street Stock Classic.... that race was Joe Horne's deal if I am not mistaken.

There were cars from all around the name Glen Bowers sticks with me as an out of stater that did well one year.... Becka, Stelzig also won some of those events.

I think the first was in 1984, indeed won by the blue 51.

For us easterners over around I45, who drove the Blue #51 in '84? I saw the '85 event if we are talking about the same race, and I thought Beaver Stelzig had won the previous year's event. Seems like he had a blue Chevelle in '85, possibly #51, but I'm not sure. Since Car #54 that I was crewing on climbed the wall exiting turn 2 on Friday night in a qualifying race and had substantial damage, we spectated the Saturday 100 lap race.

Wow what memories. We lived and raced in South Tx. Several cars from CC Speedway came up to the event

#15 Bruce Beddoe

#61 Billy Christopher

#45 Richard Danielsen

#34 Greg Carlucci

I was pretty young back then may have been one or two others that went... Going from CC to SA was big time intimidating for me and my little brother. We actually tried to talk our dad out of going out there. Not only did he go out there he did qualify in the back 1/3rd of the field.

This is a page from a program I scanned awhile back, and am fixing to put on FOTKI.The page came from the program for the Second Annual Texas SuperStock Classic, held August 2nd and 3rd, 1985.

post-21-1290122825.jpg

TxTom...I know you have it down well...But i think RAY BECKA driving for Ted won this event... Remember he had a flat while recieving his trophy....Frank t

Ray Becka won it in 86' Frank and yup that right rear tire was FLAT. In 84' he led 89 laps and broke the rearend, 85' finish 2nd and 87' wrecked out anybody correct me if im wrong.

I have not seen any results anywhere, on any of the races, other than what is posted here by various sources.

I do have another scan off that 1985 program with entered drivers. Not sure how complete it is, since lots of drivers don't register until they show up, but I did see #02 Jimmy Hicks on the list

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
TxTom...I know you have it down well...But i think RAY BECKA driving for Ted won this event... Remember he had a flat while recieving his trophy....Frank t

was that also the race he had a broken left rear shock almost half the race? (Ray Becka) B)

no disrespect to any of the mentioned drivers but i seldome here the mention of Gary Chappelle. i gota say he was personaly my hero growing up. he was my earnhart and that black #13 seen more than its share of victory lane as well as a texas classic victory. one of the best drivers ive ever seen. and a class act. proud to call him family

Archived