San Antonio 1985

Racer02

The 1985 (second year) Texas Classic for Super Street Stocks at SAS. Purse of $35k, with first place paid $5000, 2nd - $3300, 3rd (me) - $2500. Over 55 entries, with 44 starters. Starting lineup was 1) defending 1984 Texas Classic champ Beaver Stelzig, 2) Larry Bendele, 3) Jerry Grant, 4) Gary Chappell, 5) Evin Breiten, 6) Ray Becka, 7) Darrell Forrest, 8) Ken Neal, 9) David Trueper, 10) Wayne Deckert.

Winner was Gary Chappell, followed by Becka, Bendele, Glenn Bowers, Paul Horelka, John Talley, Tracy Copeland, Stelzig. Over 30 cars finished the 100 lap race.

Beaver led the first 67 laps until tangling with the lapped car of Judy Parks. Then Chappell held the lead for the rest of the race. The final 30 laps showed Beaver bullying his way from the back of the field several times and spinning himself and others out several times.

About a third into the race, I got involved in the tail end of a wreck involving lap cars. With the all-involved rule, went to the rear (a really long line) and worked my way to 3rd.

An edited race (that I taped) was shown on Frank Howell's TV race program on the Hispanic channel, hosted by Len Hayden. Chappell was his guest, as the race winner. Gary did all his talking on the race track, because he was a man of few words during his interview. A well-deserved win for Gary.

The 1985 (second year) Texas Classic for Super Street Stocks at SAS. Purse of $35k, with first place paid $5000, 2nd - $3300, 3rd (me) - $2500. Over 55 entries, with 44 starters. Starting lineup was 1) defending 1984 Texas Classic champ Beaver Stelzig, 2) Larry Bendele, 3) Jerry Grant, 4) Gary Chappell, 5) Evin Breiten, 6) Ray Becka, 7) Darrell Forrest, 8) Ken Neal, 9) David Trueper, 10) Wayne Deckert.

Winner was Gary Chappell, followed by Becka, Bendele, Glenn Bowers, Paul Horelka, John Talley, Tracy Copeland, Stelzig. Over 30 cars finished the 100 lap race.

Beaver led the first 67 laps until tangling with the lapped car of Judy Parks. Then Chappell held the lead for the rest of the race. The final 30 laps showed Beaver bullying his way from the back of the field several times and spinning himself and others out several times.

About a third into the race, I got involved in the tail end of a wreck involving lap cars. With the all-involved rule, went to the rear (a really long line) and worked my way to 3rd.

An edited race (that I taped) was shown on Frank Howell's TV race program on the Hispanic channel, hosted by Len Hayden. Chappell was his guest, as the race winner. Gary did all his talking on the race track, because he was a man of few words during his interview. A well-deserved win for Gary.

Hey Larry, did you happen to tape the '84 race? I know my dad(and me) would really like to see that.

Archived