rules meeting

cRt racing

.........NOT MANY POEPLE ARE INTERESTED AS OF LATE TO BUILD THESE CAR ,S .. .....WHAT I AM SUGGESTING WONT GO WELL WITH SOME ..BUT SEEING THE SITUATION WITH THIS CLASS ...THE FASTEST WAY TO BUILD THIS CLASS UP NOW ..IS A RACEN TIRE . BUT AT A LOW COST .....WORK THE RULES WERE SOME LOCAL CARS THAT HAVE WIEGHT JACKS AND SO FORT TO BE ABLE TO RACE THIER CARS HERE ..YOU HAVE ABOULT 6 OF EM JUST SITTING AROUND .RUNNING OUT OF TOWN MOST OF THE TIME ...AND WOULD RACE HERE MORE OFTEN ..IT IS DOABLE..... .......I WONT GO INTO A PISSING CONTEST OVER THIS ..THAT ISNT GOING TO GET ANYWHERE ..I AM NOT TRYING TO START A FIGHT OF ANY SORT .....STAY AWAY FROM ATTACKING ME .IF YOU WANT TO DO SO ..THEM CALL ME AND ILL MEET YOU SOMEWHERE ..JUST THINK IT OVER ... WIEGH IT AND SEE WHAT COMES .......ITS A SUGGESTION ..THIS IS THE TIME TO BE SMART AND STAY AWAY FROM THE PAST ARGUMENTS HERE .AND FINGER POINTING ..THAT HISTORY IS OLD NEWS ....

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Oldteck,I might have to agree.SHOOT ME. What we have now is a morfidite confusing mess.Way too expensive to be an entry level class and too restricted to be a full race car class.It might be wise to adapt the Pro Sedan rules as is if that will bring out the cars.Let the frontrunners be the entry level like bombers are and Thunders be the Super Streets.Kind of like when we had both ministocks and outlaw minnies.We already have all out motors,race springs some with race shocks,mini clutches,etc.so why not go coil over suspension and race tires.Im not sure the Hoosers are a good choice for regular Sat nite because they dont last.The old sportsman Hoosers were OK but the F60s are too soft.An 8 inch towl city is good.

All you need to do is round up enough commited cars,establish a local tire dealerand find sponsor money for a purse that reflects an investment of this type of car.The outlaw minnies paid $300.00 to win in 87.

I HOPE YOU DIDNT BURN YOUR FINGERS TPYING THE AGREING WITH ME PART ..I KNOW THAT HURT ..BUT THATS ALL I CAN SEE TO DO WITH THIS CLASS ...... HOOSERS WOULD NOT BE A GOOD CHOICE AT ALL ..100 PLUS DALLORS APIECE ..AND THEY WONT LAST LONG AT THE BULL RING ...I THINK ALTUS RUNS THE TOWL CITY ....ON ALL CLASSES ..ILL ASK DAVID ...ALSO THAT ADOPTING TPS RULES WILL HELP YOUR CAR OUT ....THIS CLASS IS IN BETWEEN AND GOING BACK WONT HELP IT NOW THAT YOU HAVE THE FRONTRUNNERS ....BUT GETTING CARRIED AWAY WITH COSTLY TIRES WONT HELP AT ALL ...

if you can get the cars to commit you all might not have any choice . but i bet neil isnt going to like it . cause it will hurt his show .cause if the track is running cars even with his . there would be no reason for cc to schedule any pro sedan races down here .

• 2 weeks later...
I think it went over 200, the problem with this car is it has a really expensive front bumper. Plus if it got right up behind another car it would probably suck its rear bumper off lol

dont forget when it passes you. you loose a door or two to boot .

I am going to suggest this again. All you thunder drivers need to get together and figurer out what YOU need to do to keep your class going, wether it is a class like it is now or more closer to TPS racing tires or not. You may also want to find your own Tech for your class and approach the track with a package and not a big mess like it always is. It would be much easier for the track to schedule a group (like the Dwarfs for example) to come in and put on a show twice a month than continue like it is. Now is the time to do it and not a month before racing season. All of you have great ideas, get together and get it all ironed out before it is too late.

Just my opinion,

Again

well i agree with don . this is why i started this post . so the thunders would get together and do something now. not in feb or march . cause by then it will be too late and ill already have other projects and so will other people . so whats the deal with the pro sedans and thunder hill

The only person that can decide the future of the Thunder cars is the race director,which is Dan right now.One reason we are so messed up is because of so many race directors in the past several years each with their own ideas.It looks like we have 3 choices as to what the Texas Thunder car will ultimately be.The rules define the car.

First choice is to revert back to the original Thunder car rules of 2000.Only a couple of cars would be legal because of body restrictions.Engines can easily be downgraded,more easily than upgraded.

Second choice would be go back to the original ministock rules I started with in 1994.This included a track tire and upgrades but limited aftermarket parts.I remember no porting of heads or afatermarket engine parts as far as blocks and heads.These rules were successful in allowing many makes of cars to race together while keeping costs low.Like the Thunder Car rules they were changed by popular vote until they no longer served the original pourpose.

The third choice is to go farther then where we are now and add racing tires,raceing suspensions and make it an all out race car.That would be bettter than the mix we have now.Only a few cars would be competetive.Prehaps a few new cars might be added.Mostly it would depend on the prize money.With a good purse this class would have a chance.With todays purse theres little chance it would be a good draw from sport mods or super streets and the cars would cost similar to own and operate.

To me the smart thing would be to end up with a car that a frontrunner could move up to by adding a few modifications.Another words like if Jesse wanted to move his Probe to the Thunder class what would it take? It should be to add a front and rear loop,some spring changes by cutting or swapping,wheels and tires,weight reduction by removing unneeded items and be competetive.By todays rules he would be mid pack at best.By the 1994 rules he could run up front providing fuel injection was allowed.With the full out race car he needs a new car to win.It seems to me the place to draw from is the most important aspect.Again only Dan can make that decision.We never could.

Prehaps Pappy has a set of 1994 rules still and can post them on here so we can see what each of us had to do to qualify our cars.And what would a good frontrunner have to do to step up and still be competetive.That make sence to me.Keep all our current cars plus a drawing place for future cars.You cant make a bunch of special rules for FWD if you want this to work.A couple of simple changes is all thats needed.Lock all differentials or non,pound per cc,and there on the same page.

So what I would like to know is what would each car have to do to be legal for the 1994 ministocks??? Could someone please post those rules if they have them.They worked then and can work now.

Otherwise post your ideas.Thats what this forum is all about.I cant run to Corpus every time theres a new plan.Others cant as well.

I don't own a ministock, but if the1994 rules were in affect, I'd be very interested in building one after The 2011 season, since i have a semi new bomber to run. I also know of a couple of others that would also be interested. I hope yall figure it out, because I have always loved the mini's and i like the idea of me having the option to run a mini again. Good luck guys!

Well said Fred!! I will race one also. In 2000 when Abel first started they ran Hoosiers which is ok, the tires some are running are close if not more than slicks, secondly would be some kind of motor rule not sure what would be good but one that can be affordable these are mini's,thunders or what ever you wanna call them not outlaw mini's or TPS cars. I personally know that the Ford's can be expensive I have run them the past 7 years but the most expensive part on these types of motors are the heads no rollers, no port and polish, stock size valves, lightened flywheels ok, no goldstar clutches etc... they run these rules at orange show speedway and in some in florida and are evenly matched, not sure what kind of rules for FWD's cause i have never worked on them or know anything about them but all I know is that the old MiniStock that CC had back in the day was some awesome racing and had different winners form time to time. I'd hate to see this class die let's see what we can work out. What are your thoughts Mike?

Front wheel drive cars are no different than rear wheel drive cars except you swap the LF settings for the LR settings of a rwd.Anyone who has raced both can attest to this.

In 1995 I pulled my head twice to check for port work,valve size and engine displacement to verify weight as per the pound per cc.So did everyone else.We also ran stock flywheels and clutches.No compression rule so I ran a 15 to 1.No vacuum rule so I ran a 280 cam.No valve spring rule so I could turn 8500 rpm.It was not effective because of the non ported head did not make power above 7000.No piston above the block surface.Strut towers could be moved.I am still looking for those rules.I did find the 1998 rules changes done in June of 1998 where big heads were added and my car weight went from 1870 pounds to 2280 pounds.Thats not the answer.

This topic has been up for almost a mounth and still no one has tryed to set a date to get the ball rolling and help out this class . To begin with does anyone think all the people that have spent money on performance part are going to take them off and go from winning or in the top 3 to top 6 or so I dont think so but only time will tell

This topic has been up for almost a mounth and still no one has tryed to set a date to get the ball rolling and help out this class . To begin with does anyone think all the people that have spent money on performance part are going to take them off and go from winning or in the top 3 to top 6 or so I dont think so but only time will tell

This topic has been up for years.

Boyd raceway has or had a good set of rules, there class looked like they were running at Daytona, at the drop of the flag they were racing the whole pack 4 wide they had the stock valve and intake rule,no porting or polishing,no roller cams and up to a 500 Holley carb. I feel they should have had a stock diameter valve rule though.

back in 95 the head rule was no aftermarket heads no port or polishing no gasket matching you was allowed to make your head a solid lifter head max valve size was 1.850( that was done cause bobby had a monza and it had the biggest valve around. ) you was allowed the holly 500 but no machining or cutting was allowed. they even had a go no go tool for the carb s . max bore on the engine was 40 . there was no stroking or destroking the engine flats top allowed but no part of the piston was allowed to come above the block.

Archived