simple numbers

I may be wrong here but would like to see a list of mods that have raced at SOS this year. Not whos uncle wanted to race but cars/ drivers that made it to the track. Would also like to see if they are imca or outlaw. This is a start off the top of my head.

Ben kettman- 37

Cody tidwell - 17

Mike mccarty- 20

Joe spillman -44s (thats me !)

My way or highway -8g ( he he)

These are the ones I know of, not looking for I could run one or the other, if they have/can run imca than consider it imca

Joe

I may be wrong here but would like to see a list of mods that have raced at SOS this year. Not whos uncle wanted to race but cars/ drivers that made it to the track. Would also like to see if they are imca or outlaw. This is a start off the top of my head.

Ben kettman- 37

Cody tidwell - 17

Mike mccarty- 20

Joe spillman -44s (thats me !)

My way or highway -8g ( he he)

These are the ones I know of, not looking for I could run one or the other, if they have/can run imca than consider it imca

Joe

94 outlaw

7x outlaw

57 outlaw

75 outlaw

00 outlaw

5w could go either way

89 outlaw

55 outlaw

96 outlaw

off the top of my head !!!

Put a wing on thoses cars and come race I know some of those IMCA motors are stonger then the outlaw motors here. Don't let the word outlaw get you beat before you show up.. I have been to a lot of USMTS races this year and seen pletty of IMCA cars compete the big boys with no breaks at all.

If you and the IMCA boys really have a interest in racing here at the oaks I bet they can come up with a rule package that everyone can live with. You can make a good Imca car competative with the outlaw car with small changes like a RPM limit and weight break those are just two that come to mind... Keep in mind if A CAR is in the back of the pack at I37 or where ever else a car comes from it is still going to be back of the pack here... You have to have you stuff together no matter where you race no matter what the rules are today..

The outlaw cars are here and if the rules will stay the same there are some cars coming back out from Corpus Christi next year . All this Brett Farve crap going on is killing the track..

Pit Monkey

Takes to much money to go from outlaw to IMCA but added weight and RPM limits are free..Just my two cents!!!!

The drivers never asked to go IMCA at the Oaks but it did not take long for the IMCA drivers to jump on the band wagon.. Let’s see how it would be if I37 decided to go outlaw today think there might be some hell raising?????? That’s what I thought..

If they did go outlaw at least your IMCA cars would still be legal to race. Going IMCA at the Oaks takes out all the outlaw cars.. How can that be good for any track to take out the cars that are coming to race today.. Makes no since to any one with a brain..

Now if you would really like to race here it can be done with some simple rule changes.

So you can be a keyboard junky and complain or try to come up with a solution to the problem.

I suggested a fix to the problem of low car count if the IMCA boys truly want another track to race at. It’s a win win for the track, fans and RACERS truly looking for another place to race.

By the way I have nothing to do with the track other than wishing Jim good luck with his faculties. We all know where he stands right now and you know this is not helping him so help out or keep your peace..

Pit Monkey

"DRIVERS DRIVERS" from both tracks should get together and see if rules can be changed to make these cars equal…

A example of that is what New Mexico speedway is doing.

Got 18 degree aluminum heads? How about 13 degree aluminum heads? Then bolt the on and come and race because this year’s Fall Nationals is going to allow Aluminum heads other than 23 degrees. The rules on engines will be as follows:

Aluminum heads other than 23 degrees must weigh a minimum of 2,500lbs

23 degree aluminum heads must weigh a minimum of 2,400lbs

DIRTcar West Engines must weigh a minimum of 2,350lbs

Flat Tappet Engines must weigh a minimum of 2,300lbs

All Modifieds, regardless of engine style must run a 8,000 RPM chip and it must be out of reach of the driver.

Now this guy is thinking outside the box may not be perfect but it is a starting point for all.

Iam going to keep this simple and to the point, Jim and I decided to make the change back to Outlaw because of some conflicting issues that we both thought was put to rest because we were told they were, obviously that wasn't the case. The reality is Outlaw Mods are not producing, a change to this class is needed even if no one wants to admit it. Now I understand no one wants to hear anyone state things bluntly unless they are the ones making the statements themselves but here it is bluntly. If the Outlaw Mods do not produce in 2011 there will be a change made in 2012 even if it means cutting the Modified class all together. As for the Brett Farve comment you may want to read some of the posts that you and your buddies have posted before you complain about others. That kind of stuff does way more damage than a change or reversal in rules or procedures. I have stated this time and time again, if anyone has an issue that they feel is strong enough to post negative remarks about pick up the phone and call. Jim and I are always available. On a personal note I have an extremely hard time understanding why those who are either not participating in a specific class or have not participated all year are so quick to bash. Everyone has a reason for not participating but the fact remains the car counts in this class are low. Outlaw was wanted for this class in 2011 and Outlaw is what it will be so stop all the bashing and put the cars on the track and prove me wrong and I will go sell a deal for this class like I did for the Late Models.

To those that have called I appreciate the respect and courtesy shown. If at anytime anyone needs to reach me please call me at the information below.

I stated before the race season ever started I would not be racing this year. But I have bought a pit pass for 2 or 3 people every race that the car I help with has gone to the races.

That money has helped the track, so being part of a team in this dog fight does give me the right to voice an opinion. I am sorry that the Brett Farve commit got under your skin but you know and I know if this would have been handled right this would not be going down like this.” Talking to the drivers/car owners first in all classes involved before making changes in a public place”. You set your self up for a public debate.

Now as far as my car goes I will not go in debt to race a car I have to much to lose. Money is being saved to get the proper motor in the car to make it legal and as competitive as it/me can be. I ask one day about a motor and was told there was a three year deal signed for crates... I made no reply I kept it to my self then the next day the rules where changed again??? Now what motor should I buy in the off season ??? That where the Brett Farve commit comes from like it or not you have to see the humor in it..

As far as the class shutting down "Mods" all I have done is give you an option to look at that can bring two types of mods together so they can race at the same track. Please tell me how that is hurting the track. If you go IMCA you will lose the outlaw mods you have those are the facts. There is no way around that, no one is going to change there outlaw mod to an IMCA car it cost to much money that is the truth.

So with that being said it is up to you as the promoter to make the drivers happy so they will race at the track you are promoting. If other cars really want to come race here “IMCA cars” they will be willing to come to a type of rule package that will work for both tracks... Its not rocket science but it does take effort from your part as the promoter to talk to the people that have a stake in the game...

Then if the class does not grow than you can cut the class and that makes since good business since no one and I mean no one can judge that.

I wish nothing but good things for this track I like watching and trying to race on it, now I gave you a draft of a option to take to your mod drivers to see if you as a promoter can make the class grow….The ball is in your court if you want it to grow so you can sell more parts and try to keep the class alive make it happen..

Enough said!!

Pit Monkey

Man you just can't win it seems Mr. Cagle! I haven't been back to SOS since opening night and I may be talking out of turn here but here goes. (BTW I'm just a long time fan).When it was announced STS would not be running owtlaw modifieds this year I was pretty upset even though the count was around 10 cars and you knew who the top 2 were always going to be.But running only three classes plus the go karts has been pretty successful . Consistant car counts and good racing has been going on all year.I guess what I'm trying to say you can make it without the owtlaws.I don't miss them here because there are usually over 20 limiteds every race night.Consider bomber-pure stock or hobby , limiteds and go karts. That could give you larger fields , less headache and getting done around 10pm which is almost a necessity since most fans are an hour to an hour and half away from home. I can tell by reading this board you are really making a huge effort to try to include all classes and you should be thanked for all your hard work.Good luck with your efforts.

it will be just as i said we will still bring our IMCA mod out once in a while we love the track but you cant run a claimer motor there we knew it but still wanted to give it a try the little motor which had two nights on it lasted two laps on that superspeedway buut like i said we will come back. just not on a regular basic

I stated before the race season ever started I would not be racing this year. But I have bought a pit pass for 2 or 3 people every race that the car I help with has gone to the races.

That money has helped the track, so being part of a team in this dog fight does give me the right to voice an opinion. I am sorry that the Brett Farve commit got under your skin but you know and I know if this would have been handled right this would not be going down like this.” Talking to the drivers/car owners first in all classes involved before making changes in a public place”. You set your self up for a public debate.

Now as far as my car goes I will not go in debt to race a car I have to much to lose. Money is being saved to get the proper motor in the car to make it legal and as competitive as it/me can be. I ask one day about a motor and was told there was a three year deal signed for crates... I made no reply I kept it to my self then the next day the rules where changed again??? Now what motor should I buy in the off season ??? That where the Brett Farve commit comes from like it or not you have to see the humor in it..

As far as the class shutting down "Mods" all I have done is give you an option to look at that can bring two types of mods together so they can race at the same track. Please tell me how that is hurting the track. If you go IMCA you will lose the outlaw mods you have those are the facts. There is no way around that, no one is going to change there outlaw mod to an IMCA car it cost to much money that is the truth.

So with that being said it is up to you as the promoter to make the drivers happy so they will race at the track you are promoting. If other cars really want to come race here “IMCA cars” they will be willing to come to a type of rule package that will work for both tracks... Its not rocket science but it does take effort from your part as the promoter to talk to the people that have a stake in the game...

Then if the class does not grow than you can cut the class and that makes since good business since no one and I mean no one can judge that.

I wish nothing but good things for this track I like watching and trying to race on it, now I gave you a draft of a option to take to your mod drivers to see if you as a promoter can make the class grow….The ball is in your court if you want it to grow so you can sell more parts and try to keep the class alive make it happen..

Enough said!!

Pit Monkey

The Brett Favre comment did anything but get under my skin. I actually laughed so loud that my wifes doctor thought something was happening to me and called for his nurse. Contrary to belief I don't let a whole lot get under my skin. Those who know me will tell you I am straight forward but I am always laid back. It takes quite a bit to get under my skin.

I agree with you to some extent on things you have stated and I do want to hear everyone's opinions but as I have stated constantly do it in a professional manner. Getting on a forum and posting the way some do will not get your opinion heard. It will work the oposite and get it put to the rear if not ignored. I have stated a thousand times I will talk to anyone but argue with no one. Now I am not saying you and I are arguing, or at least I don't see it that way, we are debating our beliefs. We may agree to diagree but that kind of thing happens to everyone in some shape or form.

I spent an hour one night on the phone with Mr. Hardcastle and he had some excellent thoughts on this class. I spent some time on the back of a trailer with Mr. Borlace and he had some great thoughts as well. Some of the changes you have stated are good as well. In my personal opinion IMCA offers a better quality and less expensive form of Rules for the Modified. Yes an Outlaw Mod would have an expense at the begining, I won't argue that. In the long run however your yearly race budget is cut way back. Cutting back the yearly race budget is what keeps a car on the track, I don't think you can argue that point. Now I do have some issues on the Sanctioning side but you don't have to be Sanctioned to run IMCA Rules, but all in all IMCA Modified Rules are better and cost effective.

Anytime a change is made at Shady Oaks Jim is in on it with me. I don't just wake up and change things without him and I sitting down and discussing things. Jim and I together decided to make every change that has been made for 2010 and 2011. Yes somethings were changed more than once but anyone who owns a business will tell you that one phone call can change everything. In the situation with the Late Models and Modified thats what happened. As far as the Late Model deal it is still good for 3 yrs. regardless of Rule Package. If we would have run Crate only the deal was better, we lost some money when we went TSLMS but we made some drivers happy. I am satisfied with that, there were more people who called me to say Thank You then there was those that called or posted negativity. Same on the Outlaw Mod deal. So at the end of the day I am satisfied and more impotantly Jim and the majority are satisfied with what we are doing.

I have never met you but I do know who you are and would love to talk with you some more on this subject. As I said I think some of your ideas are good ones but I just don't see much cost effectiveness in them. At the end of the day cost is what it's all about. Like I said give me a call sometime and I will be happy to discuss this with you. My contact information is below.

On a side note this is not about me selling parts, the majority of my daily sales come from other states. The people who buy from me local have since day one and the new ones come for the pricing. This is about more than my business and anyone who thinks other obviously hasn't talked with Jim.

Man you just can't win it seems Mr. Cagle! I haven't been back to SOS since opening night and I may be talking out of turn here but here goes. (BTW I'm just a long time fan).When it was announced STS would not be running owtlaw modifieds this year I was pretty upset even though the count was around 10 cars and you knew who the top 2 were always going to be.But running only three classes plus the go karts has been pretty successful . Consistant car counts and good racing has been going on all year.I guess what I'm trying to say you can make it without the owtlaws.I don't miss them here because there are usually over 20 limiteds every race night.Consider bomber-pure stock or hobby , limiteds and go karts. That could give you larger fields , less headache and getting done around 10pm which is almost a necessity since most fans are an hour to an hour and half away from home. I can tell by reading this board you are really making a huge effort to try to include all classes and you should be thanked for all your hard work.Good luck with your efforts.

You will never win in the business I am in, :lol:. You just have to have thick skin and keep true to your beliefs. Jim understands what needs to be done and he supports me in what I do and at the end of the day that is what matters.

I for one agree with what Owen did. If a class is not producing you have to cut it, plain and simple. To me Owen puts on a great show with those three classes and yes it is nice to be out by 10:00-10:30. I think thats one thing that hurts our car count is we have too many options, too many classes. Eight classes is way too many, five is where it should be.

I appreciate all of your kind words and hope you will visit our facility again soon. Give me a call when you do and I will make sure I come by to say Thank You in person. If you ever need to contact me for any reason my information is below.

I know some of those IMCA motors are stonger then the outlaw motors here

Really????? :huh:

I've been to lots of races with USMTS/Outlaw type cars and IMCA cars.....It's apples to oranges.....Granted you may have one or two good IMCA drivers with top notch stuff compete at a big show, but for a "WEEKLY" racer there is no comparing them...

Don't get me wrong and I do like your "thinking out of the box"......but in reality and all practicality it does nothing to lower costs of racing a modified.....

I've been to lots of races with USMTS/Outlaw type cars and IMCA cars.....It's apples to oranges.....Granted you may have one or two good IMCA drivers with top notch stuff compete at a big show, but for a "WEEKLY" racer there is no comparing them...

Don't get me wrong and I do like your "thinking out of the box"......but in reality and all practicality it does nothing to lower costs of racing a modified.....

Shadow qouted the "outlaw mods here" meaning at SOS. Example my car 7x for the last 2 1/2 months has had a 355 flat tappet steel headed motor. 5w has a 355 flat top, flat tappet, vortec headed motor. 75 has a 377 flat top, flat tappet, steel headed motor. None of them have anything exotic. I hurt my good motor earlier in the year at a USMTS show. All he is trying to say is that the big scary word "Outlaw" should not scare anybody away wanting to come race.

Rory Jordan 7X

DO U REALLY KNOW WHAT U R RACING AGAINST NO U DO NOT WITHOUT A GOOD SET OF RULES RUN WHAT U BRUNG IS NOT WHAT I WILL RACE AGAINST ...... ;) AND ANOTHER THING ONE OF THE I-37 GUYS BLEW UP HIS IMCA MOTOR LAST WEEK ITS NOT A RECOMMENDED THING TO COME TRY AND RUN A IMCA MOTOR THAT HARD WITH THE BACK STRAIGHT AWAY AS LONG AS IT IS U BETTER HAVE A GOOD PIECE IVE ONLY GOT A 289 WITH A SET OF POWER PACK HEADS :blink: YEP UR RIGHT I DONT BUT WHEN U GET UR USMTS MOTOR FIXED WELL THEN I GUESS THAT WILL BE A DIFFERENT STORY NOT ON U RORY JUST STATING MOST PEOPLE BELIEFS I AM ONLY TRYING TO SHOW WHY MOST PEOPLE DONT SHOW UP I REALLY DONT HAVE A DOG IN THIS HUNT AS I AM RACING FOR POINTS NEXT YEAR AS A SPONSOR WANTS ME TO DO :ph34r:AND ANOTHER THING IF THE TRACK WAS WORKING THE WAY IT WAS I WOULD SAY LEAVE IT AS OUTLAW ;) AND ANOTHER IF U WANT TO GET RID OF IT U BETTER ASK THE FANS WHAT THEY WANT YES THEY DO NOT WANT TO SEE 3 CARS RACE BUT IF U HAD 15 -20 MODS THEY WOULD B ALL OVER IT I KNOW THIS IS A DEAD HORSE JUST CANT LET IT GO U KNOW HOW IMCA BOYS R ;):lol: AND ANOTHER THING WHY WOULD IT BE SO EXPENSIVE WHEN MOST ALREADY HAVE IMCA MOTORS IN EM

Shadow qouted the "outlaw mods here" meaning at SOS. Example my car 7x for the last 2 1/2 months has had a 355 flat tappet steel headed motor. 5w has a 355 flat top, flat tappet, vortec headed motor. 75 has a 377 flat top, flat tappet, steel headed motor. None of them have anything exotic. I hurt my good motor earlier in the year at a USMTS show. All he is trying to say is that the big scary word "Outlaw" should not scare anybody away wanting to come race.

Rory Jordan 7X

SO TRY AND GET SOMETHING THAT WORKS FOR THE TRACK I THINK JIM HAS BEEN THROUGH A LOT AND WOULD LOVE TO HELP HIM AS I TRIED LAST YEAR BUT WHEN I CAN RACE AND HOUR AND A HALF AWAY AND NOT HAVE TO CHANGE A SPOILER AND SOME OTHER TINGS TO GO RACE THEN I WILL STICK TO WHAT WE DO NOW ;)

Rory Jordan 7X

I agree Rory the word Outlaw shouldn't but in reality it does keep people away. This same rule situation is what killed the Late Model class this year. There has to be a more defined and cost effective set of rules developed for the Modified class or this style of class will fade away from the weekly style racing. This style Modified class has already become a series or traveling style class as it is. Even Todd with USMTS will tell you he is looking at changing things up next year because his car counts are off.

As I have said Jim and I both like the IMCA Modified Rules because of there stability and cost effectiveness, less "yearly" expense is what will keep cars on the track. Not talking intial expense, talking normal yearly race budget. I honestly believe that we can merge these two sets of rules with some weight, spoiler and other small things that will allow others with different style Modifieds to come and race with us when they can. Obviously they can't all the time but several teams would like to come when they can but with the current Rules they can't. As everyone in this class knows we need every car we can get when we can get it because the car counts are that bad.

There have been a couple of gentlemen that have already given me some ideas on merging these two sets of Rules based off of the TSLMS Late Model Rules. Time will tell...

Rory Jordan 7X

SO TRY AND GET SOMETHING THAT WORKS FOR THE TRACK I THINK JIM HAS BEEN THROUGH A LOT AND WOULD LOVE TO HELP HIM AS I TRIED LAST YEAR BUT WHEN I CAN RACE AND HOUR AND A HALF AWAY AND NOT HAVE TO CHANGE A SPOILER AND SOME OTHER TINGS TO GO RACE THEN I WILL STICK TO WHAT WE DO NOW ;)

Undersatndable and he does respect you for your decision as he and I talk about you quite often. No one can fault you for your decision, the track is closer to home and the Rules are more stable. We will get it worked out and hope to see you back when you can make it. By the way saw some pics of Al's new Harris, is that the body style you were telling me about? Car looks sweet if it is.

DO U REALLY KNOW WHAT U R RACING AGAINST NO U DO NOT WITHOUT A GOOD SET OF RULES RUN WHAT U BRUNG IS NOT WHAT I WILL RACE AGAINST ...... ;) AND ANOTHER THING ONE OF THE I-37 GUYS BLEW UP HIS IMCA MOTOR LAST WEEK ITS NOT A RECOMMENDED THING TO COME TRY AND RUN A IMCA MOTOR THAT HARD WITH THE BACK STRAIGHT AWAY AS LONG AS IT IS U BETTER HAVE A GOOD PIECE IVE ONLY GOT A 289 WITH A SET OF POWER PACK HEADS :blink: YEP UR RIGHT I DONT BUT WHEN U GET UR USMTS MOTOR FIXED WELL THEN I GUESS THAT WILL BE A DIFFERENT STORY NOT ON U RORY JUST STATING MOST PEOPLE BELIEFS I AM ONLY TRYING TO SHOW WHY MOST PEOPLE DONT SHOW UP I REALLY DONT HAVE A DOG IN THIS HUNT AS I AM RACING FOR POINTS NEXT YEAR AS A SPONSOR WANTS ME TO DO :ph34r:AND ANOTHER THING IF THE TRACK WAS WORKING THE WAY IT WAS I WOULD SAY LEAVE IT AS OUTLAW ;) AND ANOTHER IF U WANT TO GET RID OF IT U BETTER ASK THE FANS WHAT THEY WANT YES THEY DO NOT WANT TO SEE 3 CARS RACE BUT IF U HAD 15 -20 MODS THEY WOULD B ALL OVER IT I KNOW THIS IS A DEAD HORSE JUST CANT LET IT GO U KNOW HOW IMCA BOYS R ;):lol: AND ANOTHER THING WHY WOULD IT BE SO EXPENSIVE WHEN MOST ALREADY HAVE IMCA MOTORS IN EM

You are right the current way is not working but it's not just Shady Oaks it's not working for. The majority of Outlaw Mod Tracks will tell you it isn't working for them either. There are a few exceptions but look at the size of the area they have to pull from compared to our area. There is no doubt something has to be done we just have to figure out what that will be.

On the fan side, no they don't like to watch five or six cars race with two or three pulling away from everyone. When you look up in the stands and you see fans walking to the concession stand or restroom when the Mods come out as a Owner or Promoter you know you have a problem. This class is suppose to keep them in their seat and it's not doing that right now. I think it can be fixed but the current Rules Package has got to be changed before a fix can take place.

Why is it there is SO much DRAMA at this track? I know that there is "drama" and there is "politics" at all tracks, but I look at all the tracks here on Lonestar and this one always seems to have the most. Can somebody answer that without being a smart ass?

I have gotten to where I don't even want to post anything due to the fact MORE DRAMA gets going. :ph34r:

I was under the impression that the tracks make rules so that on any given night anyone racing in their respective class has a fair and even chance to win. I wouldn't want to race week after week just to come in some where in the back all the time just because my pockets aren't as deep as some of the other drivers. The fans want to see different drivers win too. Not the same ones everytime they show up. I know of drivers that would put $20k plus in their motors just to be able to win. The modifieds are getting so expensive and with all the tracks being inconsistent with their rules that they are either being parked or they are dropping down to the sport mod's. If you have a good tech that knows the IMCA rules then you can control the class expense and have additional insurance for the drivers. Like i said, On any given night everyone should have the same chance of winning.

JMO,

Taz

YUP and I guarantee there will be some FOOL that will say I am trying to start crap. This in no way is a shot at the track, it was merely a simple question :angry:

Dude why you starting crap? :rolleyes:

Fine line between what some people call drama and what some people call pation! Find anything that people are in love with, mess with it and this is pretty much a normal reaction regardless what it is. SOS is a fun place to race and its a nice facility so when asked people will post their opinions and answer questions when asked.

Archived